MarkupSEO - The all-in-one SEO solution for ProcessWire.

Nico Knoll

What kongondo wrote is right but unfortunately this doesn't work in MarkupSEO (at least I couldn't get it to work).

Fortunately it's very easy to override values because all seo fields are real fields:

$page->seo_title = $page->seo_title . ' - My custom suffix here!';

And you can do this with all the MarkupSEO fields. To set a new value for the og:image, modify the "seo_image" field (untested).

• Like 2

Since ->render is just another string, overriding an individual field value like ->seo_image doesn't change it. The only options appear to be (a) generating the markup myself using all of the individual field values (thus not using ->render at all), or (b) operating directly on the value of ->render, e.g. via regex.

Although (a) is the more flexible, future-proof option, at the moment I am using (b). If a future version of the module changes the markup, or I need more flexibility, I'll revisit it.

If you set the Robots field to index and follow, can you over-ride this on an individual page?

There's a per-page Custom field in the SEO tab which reads

If you want to add other meta tags, you can do it here.

I was expecting to paste

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

into this area but it outputs oddly as:

<meta name="META-NAMEROBOTS-CONTENTNOINDEX-NOFOLLOW" content="">

Furthermore, the original INDEX and FOLLOW still appear further up the list of META tags

Hi there, I've discovered a bug yesterday that only seem to affect the Module in certain conditions. 

MarkupSEO seems to work ok on our site but when crawlers or SEO Profilers tries to profile our site, the module seems to encounter an error in a class construction stage and stops.

For a long time, I actually thought this was due to the Blog Module I had installed (Long story short i had lots of installation issues) and there's a particular error message that started occurring around that time in our system that I always attributed to the Blog Module Installation. 
Everything was working as far as I know, so I dismissed the errors as not something critical.

We kept getting messages from profilers/crawlers that stated they couldn't read our Meta Tags (which is produced by MarkupSEO) but when we would inspect our HTML on our servers and also on test servers, we could see all its presence. So it baffled us for a quite a while.

Then I stumbled on a SEO Profiling tool that actually showed the HTML it was using to profile, and I couldn't see any tags MarkupSEO produced.

That's when I realised there must have been an error with the Module instantiating and doing its task, when it was crawlers or profilers using the site.

So when I had a look at our error logs I realised that this reoccurring mysterious error was in fact originating from MarkupSEO.

My guess for the cause of the error is a change in how they implemented class construction in one of the different PHP versions. I'm still running on PHP 5.5 on our server and my guess is that crawlers and SEO Profilers are on a newer PHP version and there's some problems instantiating on a newer version.

This was the profiling tool I used to discover the error:

http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html

This is an example error log 

55 minutes ago
2015-12-21 10:14:29 guest / SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: could not call class constructor [pageClass=Page, template=]

Happy to provide any additional info that you might need.

The site I'm working on is called sprachspielspass.de  just in case if it works on other test sites you've chosen   

• Like 1

Crawlers do not have any php versions only servers do (otherwise this would be a gaping security hole). So that's certainly not the problem. But you're missing head and body tags, which while technically optional in html5 are still needed by lots of crawlers.

• Like 1

Crawlers do not have any php versions only servers do (otherwise this would be a gaping security hole). So that's certainly not the problem. But you're missing head and body tags, which while technically optional in html5 are still needed by lots of crawlers.

You're right about the head & body tags gone AWOL.

Looks like Pro-Cache is removing them(!!) as they returned when I turned it off

I will get on the appropriate forum. 

Danke LostKobrakai

If you set the Robots field to index and follow, can you over-ride this on an individual page?

Hi guys. Sorry for the double post just wanted to ping this again.

Basically I have Index and Follow set in the Robots part of this module.

How (via the Module)  can I set a NOFOLLOW or NOINDEX on a per-page basis to over-ride the default?

It seems like it's not possible or has been overlooked?

post-1166-0-40312200-1450713851_thumb.pn

@peter: Good question. Haven't worked on the module for a long time now as I had a lot to do recently. Have you added this to GitHub already? I know there a couple of other open issues on Github but when I find the time to work on that module I will start with the github issues :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have to change some of the MarkupSEO code to adapt the right og: images from my pages...

The problem is that i use PageTableExtended to build my blocks with text, images and so on.

So i have a single "image" field and a "images" field for small galleries....so far the content building works with rendering the single pagetable parts...but

How get i the images from the single parts (like a block with text right and single image left or first image of a block of a gallery)?

I've manged to change the code from the module that i've a better fallback solution in the modul. It was no ideal solution that in the original module if you set a defaul image in the settings and actived the smartimage option....always the default image path was used...not that great deal.

i changed this lines and switched the if statements - and it works as expected:

case 'image':
	//first check for smartimages
	if($configData['imageSmart'] && count($page->get(implode('|', $configData['imageSmart']))) > 0) {
			$imageFields = $page->get(implode('|', $configData['imageSmart']));
			try {
				$pageData['image'] = $page->get(implode('|', $configData['imageSmart']))->first()->httpUrl;
			} catch (Exception $e) {
				$pageData['image'] = $page->get(implode('|', $configData['imageSmart']))->httpUrl;
			}
	//no smartimage there use default image from module settings
	} elseif($configData['image']) {
			$pageData['image'] = $configData['image'];
	}

How could i get the first image from all pagetable items of the $page?

$page->get(implode('|', $configData['imageSmart']))->first()->httpUrl;

I've no good idea right now... :undecided:

regards mr-fan

I'm stucked again... ;)

before i waste my time on diving into the module code to get this complex thing done (get "smart" images as seo_image from pagetable templates)...i tried to setup a saveReady Hook in admin.php to test if it works...and now i have very strange output.

her is my simply (and/or stupid function):

/**
 * Hook for changing seo_* fields if empty on Page Save
 */
$pages->addHookAfter('saveReady', null, 'changeSeoFields');
function changeSeoFields(HookEvent $event) {
  $page = $event->arguments[0];
  //for this template only
  if($page->template == 'basic_page') {
  // check if seo_image exists and if it is empty
      if (!$page->seo_image) {
        //is there a main content block as pagetable field pt_inhalt?
        if(count($page->pt_contents)>0) {
          $first_i_item = $page->pt_contents->get("template=part_image|part_text_image_left|part_text_image_right|part_gallery");
            if ($first_i_item) {
              //two variation of templates with single image
              if ($first_i_item->template->name == 'part_image' || $first_i_item->template->name == 'part_text_image_left' || $first_i_item->template->name == 'part_text_image_right') {

$first_i_url = $first_i_item->image->httpUrl;

//or a little gallery with images  
              } elseif ($first_i_item->template->name == 'part_gallery') {

$first_i_url = $first_i_item->images->first()->httpUrl;

} else {

$first_i_url = "";
            }
          }
        //set seo_image on publishing
        $page->set ('seo_image', $first_i_url);

//messages to debug

$page->message('Pfad '.$first_i_item->image->httpUrl);
        //gives me nothing image->url too

$page->message('SeiteID '.$first_i_item);
        //gives me the id of the PT Page for example 1178        

$page->message('SeiteID '.$first_i_item->name);
        //gives me the name of the PT Page for example 1178 but ->bild->name is not there, too...
      }
    }
  }
}

I get a "page with this function and this page == the pagetable item with a image ....but i can't get the image itself and the url???

I don't wanna parse the whole DOM for the first image url...since all the PW data is there but something i miss here.

regards mr-fan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nico

If you use ProCache with your module and have your module handling Google Analytics insertion, the GA code is stripped out by ProCache when you tell ProCache to minify the HTML output.

Any idea why this happens? I tweaked ProCache not to minify inline JS and it still seems to strip it out, so it's almost like your module is altering the markup and then ProCache is also altering the original markup and overriding your altered markup :)

I think it's going to be something to do with the order they run in maybe, but not sure. Thought you'd be interested anyway!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have installed your module on under PW 3.0.12. Is there a way that this module grasps the summary of a page to include in the description? I'm actually using this code on the head. And, of course, OG:description should read it too.

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $page->summary; ?>" />

I have a hook after saveReady that change some SEO fields on publishing the page.... my editors should publish a page when the work is nearly finished so content and other things are on the line and i can with some functions create my semiautomatic SEO fields content.

Most editors don't care about SEO fields and SEO tab i have to create the content...in the example i use the summary (or in german "kurztext") that exists in article pages, if that summary is not there (like on normal pages) i cut some text from the first textfields of my pagetable contentblock templates...so you can skip this part if you just set the summary to seo_description!

So Users could overwright the seo fields but could not leave them empty... ;)

Extracted example for seo title and description ignore some own functions for formatting proposal...:

/**
 * Hook for changing seo_* fields if empty on Page Publish
 */
$pages->addHookAfter('saveReady', null, 'changeSeoFields');
function changeSeoFields(HookEvent $event) {
	$page = $event->arguments[0];
	//for this template only
	if($page->template == 'artikel'|| $page->template == 'seite') {
		// page is about to be published
		if($page->isChanged('status') && !$page->is(Page::statusUnpublished)) {
			// check if seo_title fields are exist and if they are empty
			if (!$page->seo_title) {
				//get the default value that would used as fallback
				if ($page->headline) {
					//Headline field is used for seo_title
					$default_title = ripTags($page->headline);
				} else {
					//Headline field empty - page title is used
					$default_title = ripTags($page->title);
				}
				//set seo_title on publishing
				$page->set ('seo_title', $default_title);
			}
			// check if seo_description fields are exist and if they are empty
			if (!$page->seo_description) {
				//get the default value that would used as fallback
				if ($page->kurztext) {
					$default_desc = ripTags($page->kurztext);
				} else {
					//is there a main content block as pagetable field pt_inhalt?
					if(count($page->pt_inhalt)>0) {
						//get the first text field in the pagetable and use it for the seo description
						$first_item = $page->pt_inhalt->get("template=part_text|part_text_image_left|part_text_image_right|part_text_spalten");
						$first_content = ripTags($first_item->text);
						$default_desc = wordLimiter($first_content, 160);
					}
				}
				//set seo_description on publishing
				$page->set ('seo_description', $default_desc);
			}
		}
	}
}

Best Regards mr-fan

• Like 2