ProcessWire is easy to install and use—you can be up and running in less than 5 minutes!
Our requirements are simple and consistent with the environment already provided by most web hosting providers. As a result, chances are you don't even need this list of requirements, but it's here just in case you are setting up your own server and starting from scratch. This is also the environment you will find when installing MAMP (Mac) or WAMP (Windows), for example.
- A Unix or Windows-based web server running Apache (and others, see next section)
- PHP version 5.4 or newer with PDO database support (PHP 7+ preferable)
- MySQL or MariaDB, 5.0.15 or greater (5.5+ preferable)
- Apache must have mod_rewrite enabled (when applicable)
- Apache must support .htaccess files (when applicable)
- PHP's bundled GD 2 library (ImageMagick also supported)
Using non-Apache servers
While our official support is just for Apache, ProcessWire is also able to run on any non-Apache server with a few adjustments. For instance, we are aware of several instances using nginx, IIS and other web server software. In order to do this, you must be able to setup the appropriate equivalent to the .htaccess file for your web server (for instance IIS uses a web.config file). Visit and/or search our forum for help. When translating rules from our .htaccess file to another format, please be especially mindful of security and ensuring that all rules translate correctly.
Recommended but not required
- We recommend running the latest stable PHP version, when available
- Multi-byte string support compiled with PHP (mbstring)
- PHP short tags setting turned on