Nico Knoll

MarkupSEO - The all-in-one SEO solution for ProcessWire.

This module adds a "SEO" tab to every page where you can define a special title, description, keywords, etc.

Try it

http://aluminum-j4f.lightningpw.com/processwire/

Name: demo

Pass: demo123

How to use

You can choose between include automatically or use the following methods:

$config->seo // includes all the default values and configuration settings

// e.g.:
$config->seo->title
$config->seo->keywords
$page->seo // includes all the default values mixed with the page related seo data

// e.g.:
$page->seo->title
$page->seo->keywords

// for rendering:
$page->seo->render

Screenshot

post-140-0-83570900-1413719034_thumb.png

post-140-0-66456700-1413719029_thumb.png

Download

You can download it in the modules repository: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/markup-seo/

• Like 34

This is a module that shall bring thou great honor, Mr. Knoll!!!

How does it work? Does it create fields for those tags? I guess, you still have to insert the markup into the template files yourself? Or is it "more userfrendly" already and does everything for you?

@ivan: it doesn't create fields and works out of the box. Just enjoy it :) (it uses virtual fields)

Nico: thanks, this looks interesting! Testing it right now, so might have more comments later, but first things first: you might want to add some isset-checks to module config. Seeing quite a few notices and warnings before saving module config.

Sorry, forget that, it's not about config. The problem is occurring in init(), when trying to check for $this->page->template. While viewing the module settings, $this->page doesn't seem to be available yet, which is causing some issues :)

Edit: here's a diff for changes I had to make locally to get this module running. Wouldn't work at all before that, possibly because I've got debug mode on. Not sure if they're all required, implemented the way you'd want them, etc. and some of them might be specific to my environment.

Also, moving the hooks from init() to ready() should ensure that API is ready by that time, but it could cause other (potentially unwanted) side-effects..

diff --git a/MarkupSEO.module b/MarkupSEO.module
index fecc6a3..c2ebb86 100644
--- a/MarkupSEO.module
+++ b/MarkupSEO.module
@@ -57,7 +57,7 @@ class MarkupSEO extends WireData implements Module, ConfigurableModule {
         * Initializing the hooks
         */
-       public function init() {
+       public function ready() {
                $this->addHookAfter("ProcessPageEdit::buildFormContent", $this, 'addSEOTab');
                $this->addHookBefore("ProcessPageEdit::execute", $this, 'saveSEOTab');

@@ -85,9 +85,10 @@ class MarkupSEO extends WireData implements Module, ConfigurableModule {
                $page = wire('pages')->get($this->config->input->get->id);
                $pageData = $this->getPageSEO($page->id);
                $configData = wire('modules')->getModuleConfigData($this);
-               $mixedData = array_merge((array)array_filter($configData), (array)array_filter($pageDataDefault));
+               $mixedData = array_merge((array)array_filter($configData), (array)array_filter($pageData));

+               $this->modules->get('FieldtypeFieldsetTabOpen');
                $field = new InputfieldFieldsetTabOpen;
                $field->name = $this->prefix."meta";
                $field->label = $this->_('SEO');
@@ -158,6 +159,7 @@ class MarkupSEO extends WireData implements Module, ConfigurableModule {
                $e->return->add($field);

+               $this->modules->get('FieldtypeFieldsetClose');
                $field = new InputfieldFieldsetClose;
                $field->name = $this->prefix."meta_END";

@@ -204,7 +206,19 @@ class MarkupSEO extends WireData implements Module, ConfigurableModule {
         */
        private function getPageSEO($id) {
                $dataOrg = wire('modules')->getModuleConfigData($this);
-               return $dataOrg['pages'][$id];
+               if (isset($dataOrg['pages']) && isset($dataOrg['pages'][$id])) {
+                       return $dataOrg['pages'][$id];
+               } else {
+                       return array(
+                               'title' => '',
+                               'keywords' => '',
+                               'description' => '',
+                               'image' => '',
+                               'canonical' => '',
+                               'robots' => '',
+                               'custom' => '',
+                       );
+               }
        }

/**
Edited by teppo
  • Like 3

This looks excellent! I've been manually creating my SEO tabs. So this is a huge relief! And I really dig the preview. (Better than what it looks like with WordPress SEO, for sure.)

Kudos!  ^-^  :D

• Like 1

Thanks for this. Hopefully this will shut the WP up a bit. BTW you have a typo:

"A good length for a description is 160 charakters."

• Like 1

I know :) But at least the open graph stuff is really useful and custom title and description isn't bad, too :)

(And I think it's better than a lot of WordPress SEO modules, so maybe another pro for choosing pw)

Thanks for the module Nico! Could you update the GitHub readme to either have instructions like this or link to this page? I mention it just for those folks that might download the module but not know about this thread.  

Just working on some more options (like using parent values, smart values, excluding templates, special permissions, ...). After that I will update all of the descriptions :)

• Like 1

New update: 0.3.0

Added options:

- exclude Templates

- Google Analytics

- smart values

- use parents values if empty

• Like 3

Just digging through some of my own bits and I noticed that somewhere someone said that for facebook and twitter, it helps if the image is square. Is it worth adding a size() to this?

Well I think facebook changed it. They are supporting all formats now I think. 

But if you want to you can add an image field with cropped images and add it to image automatically via "smart image" field

Hi Nico

Thanks for the module. As we need here multilingual SEO as for good practice we can't mix i.e. Thai, Chinese, Russian, English letters - The much better way is therfore to have all those textfields made by textlanguage fields and not only text fields. Would this be feasible or would we need to create a multilingual version of the module?

Beside the stuff you mentioned already above here are some more fields you should add:

MSN Verification
Yahoo Verification
Web of Trust (wot) Verification
Google Crawler Verification

Like Google Analytics add Piwik Analytics too.

For the Title it would be great to have a prefix and a suffix for the Title which could be recurring if empty. This way you can create great Broser titles from each page without loosing a constant part of the title - either in front or in the back.

Title prefix

Title suffix

-----------

Have a look here:
http:// and https://)

Piwik ID Tracking id of your website in your piwik   Piwik Download & Click Domain

Specifies which domains are internal domains:

• single domain (eg. “example.com”)
  • subdomain (eg. “.example.com”)

For more informations visit:

Piwik Cookie Domain Name

Specifies the domain name for the tracking cookie:

• single domain (eg. “example.com”)
  • subdomain (eg. “.example.com”)

For more informations visit:

Piwik DoNotTrack Opt Out users with Mozilla's DoNotTrack browser setting enabled
Social Constant Description Default Google+ Direct Connect

Your Google+ Profile Page ID

see https://developers.google.com/+/plugins/badge/

PageTitle Constant Description Default Apply tmpl-sitetitle to absolute <title>

There is a prefix/suffix for your pagetitle defined in your root template settings.

If you use the SEO-Absolute-Pagetitle settings you can disable this suffix/prefix here.

disabled Apply tmpl-sitetitle to prefix/suffix

There is a prefix/suffix for your pagetitle defined in your root template settings.

If you use the SEO-Pagetitle-Suffix/Prefix settings you can disable this suffix/prefix here.

enabled Sitetitle glue Glue between Pagetitle (from Page) and Sitetitle (from template) : Sitetitle glue spacer (before) Add spacer before glue string disabled Sitetitle glue spacer (after) Add spacer after glue string enabled Sitetitle position

Position of Sitetitle (from template) Possible options:

Sitetitle-Pagetitle (eg. Example Company: About us) Pagetitle-Sitle (eg. About us: Example Company)

Sitetitle-Pagetitle (0) Sitetitle Overwrite the template sitetitle with a custom one  

Sitemap Constant Description Default Enable Enables output (if set on root-pid of tree) and indexing for the whole subtree enabled Page limit Limit pages on sitemap-xml-pages 10000 Limit to current language

Limit output of the sitemap to the current language. This will enable multi-language-domain sitemaps. eg:

• www.example.com (FE-Language is english) will output only english pages
  • www.example.de (FE-Language is german) will output only german pages

This option was ported from the extension configuration and will replace this configuration.

disabled Default change frequency Default change frequency for sitemap cache (will be cached!)   Page priority

Default page priority if the page have no own priority set

Page priority will be calculated by:

( [page priority] – [priority modificator] ) * ( 1/[page depth] * [page multiplier] )

1 Page priority depth multiplier Page depth multiplier, see formula in page priority 1 Page priority depth modificator Page depth modificator, see formula in page priority 1

-----

If now this gets combined with a cron job (scheduler task) than you are all set for your SEO needs.

Scheduler Tasks Scheduler Task Description Frequency MetaSEO Cleanup This task cleans up old database entries in the tx_metaseo_sitemap table. One run per day MetaSEO sitemap.txt builder

This task builds a real sitemap.txt file in the upload directory.

• Directory: uploads/tx_metaseo/sitemap_txt/
  • Sitemap: sitemap-r{ROOTPID}.txt.gz

If language domain support is active:

• Sitemap: sitemap-r{ROOTPID}-l{LANG}.txt.gz

{ROOTPID} is the Page-UID from the root pages in your TYPO3 installations.

{LANG} is the language id (only active if language domains are active).

Hint: These files are already gziped.

One run per day MetaSEO sitemap.xml builder

This task builds a real sitemap.xml files in the upload directory.

• Directory: uploads/tx_metaseo/sitemap_xml/
  • Sitemap-Index: index-r{ROOTPID}.xml.gz
  • Sitemap-Page: sitemap-r{ROOTPID}-p{PAGE}.xml.gz

If language domain support is active:

• Sitemap-Index: index-r{ROOTPID}-l{LANG}.xml.gz
  • Sitemap-Page: sitemap-r{ROOTPID}-l{LANG}-p{PAGE}.xml.gz

{ROOTPID} is the Page-UID from the root pages in your TYPO3 installations.

{PAGE} is the current page of the sitemap.

{LANG} is the language id (only active if language domains are active).

The index will refer to all page sitemaps so you only have to reference to the sitemap index.

Hint: These files are already gziped.

But most important is that it contains the ability to do multilingual SEO - which means depending on your language you can display the same or different or additional values in your text fields.

Thanks

Andi

For better SEO try to place the Meta entries on top before the links/scripts of css and js!

:-) Hi Martin

well if you wanna play in the top CMS leauge than better adjust to the encyclopedia ;-) - and get one new Processwire customer after the other converting TYPO3 Enterprise Level Sites to Processwire. The market shares of TYPO3 in Europe - especially Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland are great and very highprized. But with only WordPress Like seo features you won't get them at all.

No joke - If you understand SEO the right way and we are doing it here since years,aha than you really should use all that stuff the right way. To beat wordPress might be enough what is in there right now but this is just the beginning of what could be achieve with an enterprise SEO feature.

Perhaps you meant the way the data got clutterd in the post - so perhaps have a look to the link I have posted - It shows very clear what values are necessary. We use that tool (actually the predecessor of it called tq_seo) since many years with great success.

now we try to convince more and more customers to use Processwire instead of TYPO3 and WordPress (which is already crab by the way as they should have kept it as a blogging plattform for what it had been developed originally.

I

Thanks for that great module Nico. I won't have to add a SEO tab by hand anymore ;-)

@andi: thanks for the response! I took a look on the typo3 site and it looks like a good place for inspiration. I'll probably adapt some of the options there. But first I'm going to clean the current version and try to get multi language integrated (already tried it but it didn't work. So I have to try again :) )

• Like 2

Perhaps you meant the way the data got clutterd in the post - so perhaps have a look to the link I have posted 

yep referring to that. :-) But thanks for the great list I did have an overview of the page you linked to.

Lisandi, when you want a module that controls it all you're left with a tool build on assumptions. Nico has build a great tool especially for the smaller websites. We're in a business sending 100.000+ newsletters a week. We have 4 big news portals and multitude of articles are published everyday, you have to automate SEO (read custom build functions). No ready to use tool could be used here, many things can't be controlled in a reasonable way with inputfields and you can't have one tool to do the job. 

• Like 1

Was going to mention this earlier but it slipped my mind, so: Nico, what's your take on the storage method this module uses (saving all content to module config, i.e. the data column of related Modules table entry) and the obvious limitations it causes?

Based on some quick testing, using suggested description length, this module should be able to store data for roughly 300 pages -- though actual number depends a lot on the stored data itself. I was just wondering if it would make sense to reconsider the storage method, offer an alternative method for large sites, mention this somewhere.. and/or perhaps make the module aware of how much "quota" it still has?

I'm asking 'cause this seemed like an interesting choice for some of our sites, but it's not that rare for those to have hundreds or even thousands of pages.. so if the client ever gets too enthusiastic, there's going to be a problem ;)

Also: you might want to add garbage collection for removed pages. That's going to limit the scope of aforementioned scalability issue a bit.

• Like 6