horst

WireMailSmtp

Hi guys and girls! And thanks for Processwire!

Just to give some help with Google account settings for WireMailSMTP. They are pretty well known... but Google appears to reject SMTP authentication from "non-trusted apps". There's however a solution which doesn't make Processwire "more secure" (from Google point of view) but unlocks the possibility of sending mails by WireMailSMTP using a Google account.

1.  You need to enable 2-factor authentication for Gmail account which You want to use with WireMailSMTP.
  2. You need to generate an "app password" different from Gmail account password.
  3. This "app password" should be used as SMTP password while setting WireMailSMTP up.
  4. Bingo! No more blocking.

P.S. In my case, that Google blocking was occuring even if i tried to send a single letter per day. I'm not sending spam, just notifications for website owner/manager.

• Like 2

Hi there!

Got a strange WireMailSMTP behaviour. I'm sending emails via Gmail which works fine except one problem. Gmail browser client shows that emails like this:

xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

16:56 (23 минуты назад)

кому: я
X-Mailer: ProcessWire/WireMailSmtp
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 13:56:49 GMT
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="99e7bb5336c619adedcc743d03b1ec46"
Message-ID: <20190924165649.0537.xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>

--99e7bb5336c619adedcc743d03b1ec46
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=D0=9F=D0=BE=D1=81=D1=82=D1=83=D0=BF=D0=B8=D0=BB =D0=BD=D0=BE=D0=B2=D1=
=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7 .
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7.

It's obviously the quoted-printable decoding problem. Google also allows to download any message as .eml file, and here's a sample of what is inside such a file:

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 13:56:49 GMT
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="99e7bb5336c619adedcc743d03b1ec46"
Message-ID: <20190924165649.0537.xxxxxxxx@gmail.com>

=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7 .

=8B=D0=B9 =D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=BA=D0=B0=D0=B7.

Both samples are parts of the same letter with some editing applied (real address changed, some inline css skipped etc.).

Is there a way to make Gmail decode such letters in a correct way? Thanks in advance!

I'm trying desperately to configure SendInBlue with this module, but I'm getting the same error: "SMTP settings did not work". Can I get more information on what does not work?

Xnip2019-10-27_14-43-24.jpg

Xnip2019-10-27_14-49-42.jpg

@Chris B - I also wonder if you'd be better off creating a module that works with SendInBlue's API rather than using SMTP. I would use WireMailGun as a starting point.

• Like 2

@dragan Thank you for your answer ! I'm waiting the return of SendInBlue. I asked if on their side everything works with these parameters. I will keep you informed.

@Adrian I would like it a lot! For the moment I am not yet advanced enough in Processwire to make this. But I will come ... and so I could contribute to the modules too 🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris B said:

Can I get more information on what does not work?

You can add some debug code into a template file and call a page with it:

$to = array('me@example.com');
    $subject = 'Wiremail-SMTP Test ' . date('H:i:s') . ' äöü ÄÖÜ ß';

$mail = wireMail();
    if($mail->className != 'WireMailSmtp') {
        echo "<p>Couldn't get the right WireMail-Module (WireMailSmtp). found: {$mail->className}</p>";

} else {

$mail->from = '--INSERT YOUR SENDER ADDRESS HERE --'; // <--- !!!!

$mail->to($to);
        $mail->subject($subject);
        $mail->sendSingle(true);

$mail->body("Titel\n\ntext text TEXT text text\n");
        $mail->bodyHTML("<h1>Titel</h1><p>text text <strong>TEXT</strong> text text</p>");

$dump = $mail->debugSend(1);
    }

So, in short, instead of using $mail->send(), use $mail->debugSend(1) to get output on a frontend testpage.

The output is PRE formatted and contains the areas: SETTINGS, RESULT, ERRORS and a complete debuglog of the server connection, like this one:

Spoiler

Resolving SMTP server domain "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"...

Connecting to SMTP server "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" port 587...

Connected to SMTP server "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX".

S 220 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ESMTP

C EHLO wiremailsmtp.kawobi.local

S 250-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

S 250-PIPELINING

S 250-SIZE 102400000

S 250-VRFY

S 250-ETRN

S 250-STARTTLS

S 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

S 250-8BITMIME

S 250 DSN

C STARTTLS

S 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS

Starting TLS cryptographic protocol

TLS started: STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_2_CLIENT

C EHLO wiremailsmtp.kawobi.local

S 250-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

S 250-PIPELINING

S 250-SIZE 102400000

S 250-VRFY

S 250-ETRN

S 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN

S 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

S 250-8BITMIME

S 250 DSN

C AUTH PLAIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

S 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful

C MAIL FROM:<XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

C RCPT TO:<XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

C DATA

S 250 2.1.0 Ok

S 250 2.1.5 Ok

S 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

C To:  <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

Subject: Wiremail-SMTP Test 08:41:31 =?UTF-8?q?=C3=A4=C3=B6=C3=BC_=C3=84=C3=96=C3=9C_=C3=9F?=

Return-Path: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply-To:  <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 07:41:32 GMT

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a"

Message-ID: <20191028084132.3800.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

C --dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a

Titel=0A=0Atext text TEXT text text=0A

--dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a

<h1>Titel</h1><p>text text <strong>TEXT</strong> text text</p>

--dbbe5bbf21a410f0b110683a0afec17a--

C 

S 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as XXXXXXXXXXXX

C QUIT

S 221 2.0.0 Bye

Disconnected.

• Like 5

Thank you @horst! I will test that. Why does not the module propose this directly in the "test" part?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Why does not the module propose this directly in the "test" part?

Because the current test part only does the connection part, (ping the server and login), within the modules settings screen. It was written for PW 2.4 (and is backward compatible until now). I think this would be a good addition, maybe besides the current connection test.

• Like 3

Hello everybody,

I contacted the SendInblue technical department. Nobody can tell me why it does not work. So I chose to go through the API which makes it easier for me to send SMS and manage Hooks.

Thank you for your help 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, horst said:

You can add some debug code into a template file and call a page with it

This is GOLD!

On 10/28/2019 at 12:49 AM, horst said:

You can add some debug code into a template file and call a page with it:

That debug code also works perfectly in the Tracy console 🙂

image.thumb.png.28d3fc9e8ce6365a28d36f9df5747d81.png

• Like 1

Hey everyone.

I've build a site with a couple of form/email functions using WireMailSmtp.

Everything worked fine in my localhost server during dev, but now when the site is online no emails are being send, and i'm getting no errors (not with TraceyDebug or the debugsend(1) method, nor the connection test in the config module).. just no email are being send. 

only thing i can maybe suspect is the problem, is that the live site is secure using https and webserver refuses login with SSL (!?? i honestly don't know if that makes sense, i'm a bit of noob when it comes to SMTP ), but disabling https doesn't fix it. And then also, i don't get exactly what the "Local Hostname" in the configuration should be!?

If anyone has any idea of what might be the problem I would be super grateful. I've scoured this thread for any relevant solutions, but so far still no emails 😞

55 minutes ago, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

If anyone has any idea of what might be the problem I would be super grateful. I've scoured this thread for any relevant solutions, but so far still no emails 😞

Are you using an SMTP service to send emails through? IE PostmarkApp, MailGun, SendinGrid etc

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

i'm getting no errors (not with TraceyDebug or the debugsend(1) method, nor the connection test in the config module).

What is the debuglog saying which server is connected, what is the servers response, what is the transfer protocol etc etc. 

the debug log from the debugsend() method should tell what happened. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:24 PM, horst said:

What is the debuglog saying which server is connected, what is the servers response, what is the transfer protocol etc etc. 

the debug log from the debugsend() method should tell what happened. 

Hi Horst i attached the debug log. to me it looks like it successfully connected to the smtp server drafted the email and send it... but i guess i'm missing something, so if you feel like having a look i would be very happy 🙂 

wiremailDebug.txt

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

I'm using the clients webmail server from their webhost service. 

Unfortunately this is probably a path to disaster these days - spam has made email painful and I think the only reliable option these days is to go with a transactional email service like MailGun, Postmark, SendInBlue etc. And be sure to spend the time to learn about and properly implement DKIM, SPF, and a DMARC policy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adrian said:

Unfortunately this is probably a path to disaster these days - spam has made email painful and I think the only reliable option these days is to go with a transactional email service like MailGun, Postmark, SendInBlue etc. And be sure to spend the time to learn about and properly implement DKIM, SPF, and a DMARC policy.

ugh..ok.

but... it works fine from my localhost dev server though?!

Just now, Jonathan Sachse Mikkelsen said:

ugh..ok.

but... it works fine from my localhost dev server though?!

I'll defer to horst on the troubleshooting of it actually sending. I am just talking about the deliverability issues you are likely to deal with. If the emails are only to site editors/staff you may be ok, but if they are being sent to site users then it's likely going to be an issue at least in my experience. Maybe others will disagree?

pfffffff... ok everyone thanks for the replies!

but i think i just found the problem.

The client hadn't filled out the subject line field in the back-end, so i was trying to send emails with no subject lines.

so i guess all the send requests got filtered by a spam filter or something, or they were just invalid. But now they are being send.

Stupid mistake, which took way too many hours to correct! But that's web development for you i guess 😛 

• Haha 1

A great module that works absolutely fine out of the box but I am not happy having the SMTP password in plain text in the database. Is there maybe a reason I am just not getting why this is necessary?

• Like 2

Hi there,

I've been using Wire Mail for a while and now I would like to change its signature settings to send a signature along the email message "only when explicitly called via the API" (currently I have "automatically with every Message").

WireMail-signature-settings.png.a30ce971328a473dc13f39147919fcca.png

My questions are:

1. How and where to call the signature API? That is, which code should I use and in which file should I add this code to have a "signature on demand"?
  2. I'm also using Form Builder and other PW modules that send emails with Wire Mail. How and where to set the signature via API for them, in particular for Form Builder?
  3. How to customise the signature if you don't want to use (and send) the Sender Signature set in Wire Mail module settings?

On 3/3/2014 at 1:36 AM, horst said:

addSignature ( true | false ) - the default-behave is selectable in config screen, this can be overridden here
(only available if a signature is defined in the config screen)

Hi @LAPS,

current implementation only allows one signature, set in the config screen. The option only defines when it should be send: never everytime or defined via API.

Maybe it would be a nice addition to have a API method to pass in different signatures.

Edited by horst