What IDE do you utilize?

BillyKoch

Sublime is just a fantastic tool. It's one of those where I just literally cannot imagine a code editor that betters it for most needs.

It's really fast, you can find anything with a shortcut, you can multi select, select all, it looks gorgeous. Money well spent I'd say.

• Like 1

First text editor I ever touched was BBEdit. It's packed with loads of functions. I really love how BBEdit handles regex searches & multifile search. Next to that I had a great support from the developers (when discovering a bug). Actually I'm still pretty happy with it.

The biggest reason now for me to look at ST:

- Rendering of the code in ST is better & cleaner. (less distraction)

- Syntax highlighting is a little bit better.

- And better multi cursor support. 

• Like 1

The nice thing about Sublime is that you can basically make it do whatever you need with packages/plugins/build systems.

I wrote a custom sass build system in about 3 minutes (the one I linked above didn't do exactly what I needed for the way I structure my projects).

• Like 1

I will throw an interesting option to the pile, and surprisingly you have have it in your computer for sure :)

Chrome dev tools, are very close to become a great IDE while developing localy by using the "workspace" tab on the settings, and I actually managed to make to edit files on my VPS using a sshfs mount.

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/developertools/revolutions2013/

http://gregrickaby.com/turn-chrome-developer-tools-into-an-ide/ (using the dev version of chrome you don't have to activate the experiment anymore)

• Like 2

I will throw an interesting option to the pile, and surprisingly you have have it in your computer for sure :)

Chrome dev tools, are very close to become a great IDE while developing localy by using the "workspace" tab on the settings, and I actually managed to make to edit files on my VPS using a sshfs mount.

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/developertools/revolutions2013/

http://gregrickaby.com/turn-chrome-developer-tools-into-an-ide/ (using the dev version of chrome you don't have to activate the experiment anymore)

Thanks for this. One of the two or three things that I still go to Firefox for is Firebug. Chrome dev tools have never really worked for me. The live editing is awesome though. 

Thanks for this. One of the two or three things that I still go to Firefox for is Firebug. Chrome dev tools have never really worked for me. The live editing is awesome though. 

Is this a question of preference or does Firebug still do something that Chrome dev tools don't and/or do something way better? Asking mostly out of sheer curiosity, as I've dumped FF+Firebug long time ago myself :)

• Like 3

I think it is a mixed bag. I have never really understood/liked the chrome console, e.g. how it logs ajax requests. I find it hard to navigate or read the information. Firebug also has persist. Maybe chrome also has this, I don't know. This enables me to log some requests even if page is refreshed. So, it is a mix of preference (looks) and functionality (where is this or that kind of thing..).. :)

Kongondo, I think this could change your mind http://processwire.com/talk/topic/3122-chrome-dev-tools-tuts/

Thanks. Added to my to watch list.

Many years now ago since I last used Firefox and Firebug. I don't use FF at all anymore (just to make sure website works), since they messed up so bad I couldn't work with it anymore (slow, buggish, until today). Chrome Dev Tools is far superior to Firebug, I think even the recent new Dev Tools native in FF is better than Firebug, but can't really say.

Firebug also has persist. Maybe chrome also has this, I don't know. This enables me to log some requests even if page is refreshed. So, it is a mix of preference (looks) and functionality (where is this or that kind of thing..).. :)

There's a "record" button for this at the bottom of Network panel, labeled "Preserve Log upon Navigation."

Anyway, I definitely get what you're saying -- it's pretty much the same for me whenever I try to use Firebug these days. Most of the time both tools seem to do similar things, they're just organized differently. If you're a hardcore JS developer Chrome dev tools has stronger toolbox for you, but otherwise it won't really matter that much :)

@Soma: agreed, speed was definitely a big factor for me when switching to Chrome in the first place. Generally speaking it just seems to function much faster and it's UI is super simple and uncluttered.

Can't say anything about FF dev tools, except that the 3D view is absolutely hilarious.. useless (at least from my point of view) but very fun. Looks like FF devs are focusing on some very important stuff there  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

In the case of PhpStorm 10 there is noticeable improvement regarding startup time, an projects open up faster too. However, being a Java application, there are limitations I think. PhpStorm is a really good IDE, but it is rather project centric so one do not want to use it just to open up files not in a project but somewhere else on your disk just to inspect them.

From my side, I'd develop applications in phpstorm. But building sites and modules that are part of applications can be done in ST without fuss. My only issue with ST is that there are quite a few gaps in development. Before today, the previous dev build was from July last year. Two new builds were released today, though - so maybe 3 will come out sooner, rather than later... Let's wait and see.

I am always used to plan something ahead in Chrome. If I want to add something, I just write the HTML markup with the correct id or class in the file, and in Chrome I start fiddling with the CSS directly. I will have to check the developer mode completely.

For the IDE, I'm very happy editing with Emacs.

• Like 1