What IDE do you utilize?

BillyKoch

Just curious what IDE does the PW community utilize for their development purposes?   I have used PHPStorm, Sublime Text, as a few - (Tried to search this first before I created a topic and apparently either my searching skills is  :'( or there wasn't one.   ^-^

There's at least one somewhat similar topic here. Piece of advice: forum search isn't very trustworthy, do a Google search and add "site:processwire.com/talk/" instead. Works so much better :)

As for your question, I'm an Emacs user. If I had to work with something else, it'd probably be NetBeans. Both of those are simple yet configurable and extendable -- very important features for proper IDE. Most Windows IDE's (don't really know anything about Mac-specific ones) have way too much bloat right from the start. I simply can't stand all that noise.

• Like 3

I've always happily used VI (VIM) and always will. But I found a way to make the newest PHPStorm look and behave like VIM, so that's what I'm slowly adapting to. So far I like it, it's a fairly impressive piece of software. Lets me still be in VIM (or at least trick me into thinking I am) while giving me all the power of PHPStorm. I was also motivated by their support of open source–they provided the full license for free for ProcessWire development. 

• Like 8

I defined Textadept as my default editor in the system. I wouldn't really try it if I would always have to choose it from the context menu...

I like what I see very much. One thing that put me away in the beginning were the themes, but I found out that although there aren't many themes around, it's very easy to create one. So, that's what I did :)

https://github.com/ocorreiododiogo/diogo-dark-theme

post-88-0-96451200-1368318164_thumb.png

• Like 1

I was getting along fine using gedit with some plugins tailored to web development for quite some time. After compatibility issues with the plugins on one of the occasional Ubuntu updates I tried a lot of different stuff and finally bought PHPStorm.

This has probably been the best invested money in the last few month. It's an unbelievably feature rich IDE that has all the things I ever wanted and things I never knew I would want but am using on a day to day basis now (file watchers, zen coding, etc). What is amazing: this stuff really doesn't get in your way if you don't want to use it. But enough gushing praise, this wasn't supposed to turn into a commercial...

Ryan, how exactly do you configure PHPStorm to behave like Vim? Are you using the IdeaVim-Plugin? This sounds like a really useful combination because Vim is so ubiquitous. You nearly can't get around it if you have to work on servers via SSH (and don't want to use nano), so it's great if you can use the same stuff in your IDE. 

I defined Textadept as my default editor in the system. I wouldn't really try it if I would always have to choose it from the context menu...

I like what I see very much. One thing that put me away in the beginning were the themes, but I found out that although there aren't many themes around, it's very easy to create one. So, that's what I did :)

https://github.com/ocorreiododiogo/diogo-dark-theme

Are there any areas in which Textadept has advantages over ST2 Diogo?

I'm using chocolat.app

I used Chocolat a while back when in Beta. It's very beautifully styled but not sure if there are any features there which makes it worth my while leaving ST2.

Are there any areas in which Textadept has advantages over ST2 Diogo?

Two are obvious (if you see them as advantages, that is)... it's free and open source :)

I think the advantage of st2 right now is the amount of modules and that it's very mature by now. But for what I've seen, Textadept it's incredibly extendable, so I can imagine that if it becomes popular it will be very good on that mater, also. It's even more minimalistic than st2, so, good for those that don't use all the features, like the files tree and the minimap. One thing that can be strange is that it doesn't use tabs, but a buffer list that you call with opt+B instead. I actually prefer it that way.

edit: Textadept is much faster

Isn't it funny how tastes change - I used to love Dreamweaver too, but just got tired of buggy software and less than optimal code output, so I never use it these days. That said, I've always thought there was room for a really good open source alternative, for people who like a visual editor.

Anyone know of one that works?

Isn't it funny how tastes change - I used to love Dreamweaver too, but just got tired of buggy software and less than optimal code output, so I never use it these days. That said, I've always thought there was room for a really good open source alternative, for people who like a visual editor.

Anyone know of one that works?

There is BlueGriffon http://www.bluegriffon.org/

I'm not a fan of wysiwyg, so I can't attest for it.

Notepad++ anyone? I don't know if it counts as an IDE but it works fine for me with its plethora of plugins although I may need something more IDE-ish in the future...

+1 for Notepad++.

• 3 weeks later...

ActiveState Komodo-Edit is free version and the follower of last Personal-Edition (non-commercial, Version 3.5 in 2006). It gets updated regularly but it has no Debugger like the V3.5 has had.

I have used Komodo since version 1.x and until 3.5.  3.5 supports PHP max Version 5.2.

Then I have used Komodo-Edit and v3.5 paralell. The only one thing that I was missing with Komodo-Edit was the Debugger. But proffessionell Versions are to expensive for a hobbycoder like me.

Now I have owned a Personal Version of Nusphere PhpEd, and after tweaking the shortKeys and the highlightColors its like Komodo 3.5 but with much more features :P

Wowsers - what an informative thread!!  Going to check some of these recommendations out now! 

I currently use TextWrangler as it is free and was the most like Notepad++ when I moved from Windows to Mac.

And I almost forgot - Midnight Commander for CLI hacking!