What IDE do you utilize?

BillyKoch

I had used PHPed for many years and was happy with it though I mostly just used it as an editor. Good syntax highlighting and good find/replace. One day a couple months ago, as it was explained to me, hackers did something to their site which resulted in a few hundred customers licenses becoming invalid, locking us out of the application. It was a permanent license, only the access to updates expires. While waiting to hear back from them I became familiar with Sublime and have chosen to stick with that. This was a rare event and I Imagine they are better protected now but finding out it could be be disabled remotely really put me off.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Please don't hate on me but I'd also like to mention Visual Studio Code. I vaguely remember checking it out quickly a while ago and wasn't too impressed. I came across a reference to it this weekend while reading a thread concerning Gulp. ( Don't ask ) so I decided to take another quick look. I've installed it and have been using it not even two days. I like it a lot for what it is and will probably stick with it.It's more geared for developing HTML, CSS, Javascrpt and Node but it does have extensions for PHP and it hooks up to xdebug very easily.  It's got some features that I think will be time savers, once I get used to them.

I've been using NPP for quite a while and have no complaints with it, and I finally have a pC that can handle Netbeans easily enough. My method has always been to use NPP first for straight coding, and break out Netbeans when I need to really study code I'm not familiar with. I have briefly looked at Atom, Brackets and ST3. They are obviously all good products. So many editors (and CMSs, and Javascript frameworks, and CSS frameworks and...) , so little time.

For me personally, I was comfortable with VCS from the get go and I'm guessing it might be in the same league as the others. I want to think that any missing and desirable feature will eventually  be provided by some 3rd party extension. Wishful thinking perhaps. Extensions are written in javascript, and the means exist to create them on your own if you choose. Anyway, I didn't want this to turn into a commercial. Just wanted to mention it after having rediscovered it this weekend.

• Like 2