What IDE do you utilize?

BillyKoch

I currently use TextWrangler

TextWrangler is great. While I use VIM and PhpStorm for code, I use TextWrangler for everything else. It's great for performing big manipulations fast (sorting, finding, replacing via regex's, duplicate line processing, multi-file manipulations, etc.). This is one tool I could not do without. 

Out of curiosity, does someone use netbeans as PHP IDE? How does it compare with PhpStorm?

And also: Ryan, did you setup Vim for PHP (I mean, with code sniffing, unit test support, etc)? 

http://www.brackets.io looks very promising too. Feels very modern and I like the styling in place that can be done but would take a lot to take me off ST2 at the moment. (Sorry I realise these aren't actually full IDEs)

Two are obvious (if you see them as advantages, that is)... it's free and open source :)

I think the advantage of st2 right now is the amount of modules and that it's very mature by now. But for what I've seen, Textadept it's incredibly extendable, so I can imagine that if it becomes popular it will be very good on that mater, also. It's even more minimalistic than st2, so, good for those that don't use all the features, like the files tree and the minimap. One thing that can be strange is that it doesn't use tabs, but a buffer list that you call with opt+B instead. I actually prefer it that way.

edit: Textadept is much faster

Always thought of ST as very fast already. I think ST3 is even faster so Textadept must be doing something right :)

On this topic, what do people think about adding ProcessWire snippets to Sublime?

Here, as a starting point: https://github.com/christophlieck/PW-Snippets.git

I have Intype on my watchlist as I feel unhappy with the development speed of ST 2/3 and pricing policy. Does anyone has given it a try already and can share his/her experience?

• Like 1

I have Intype on my watchlist

Wow, I just had a flashback...I was using intype on windows. this was some years ago already, and I think it was still in alpha, but i liked it so much that i used it as my default editor. I can't say I was a coder back then, but for my basic learning it was great, and It looks even nicer now. Unfortunately I can't try it on linux.

Always thought of ST as very fast already. I think ST3 is even faster so Textadept must be doing something right

It's all explained here if you feel like some really geeky stuff ;)

It looks like creating snippets is pretty easy with Sublime Text.

it's indeed pretty easy. just choose "tools > new snippet" from the menu bar and you'll be presented a convenient template. fill. save. done. just don't forget the backslash before every variable as it won't work without it.

{\$page->body}

• 4 weeks later...

it's indeed pretty easy. just choose "tools > new snippet" from the menu bar and you'll be presented a convenient template. fill. save. done. just don't forget the backslash before every variable as it won't work without it.

{\$page->body}

an improvement for the pw_include.sublime-snippet. So you can jump to the name of the file (with tab) and write/change it.

<snippet>
<content><![CDATA[
<?php include("./${1:template}.inc"); ?>
]]></content>
<!-- Optional: Set a tabTrigger to define how to trigger the snippet -->
<!-- <tabTrigger>hello</tabTrigger> -->
<!-- Optional: Set a scope to limit where the snippet will trigger -->
<!-- <scope>source.python</scope> -->
</snippet>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In case you missed it, Sublime Text 3 is now open to non-registred users http://www.sublimetext.com/3

Thanks for this diogo !

After reading how many here seem to like Sublime, I downloaded ST3 and I have to say it was very interesting. After installing the package manager and downloading the Soda theme and configuring it, it was great. After downloading a color scheme for Soda and just tweaking the color for comments, it is now awesome!!!

I look forward to the SFTP package (commercial) for ST3 to be released so that it can send files to the server.

Screen_Shot_2013_08_18_at_6_05_27_AM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2013_08_18_at_6_05_52_AM.jpg

I also like that the sidebar can easily be hidden with a keyboard shortcut and that when it is visible, thanks to the soda theme, it looks rather Mac OS X like...

So thanks to all the ST guys here for suggesting this...

Cheers guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Sublime Text 2 with plugins:

+ Package control

+ Emmet

+ JavaScript

+ jQuery

+ DocBlockr

+ PHPcs

+ PHPTidy

+ Prefixer

+ SublimeCodeIntel

+ SublimeLinter

+ SFTP

+ SideBArEnhancements

+ BracketHighlighter

+ TrailingSpaces

+ Alignment

+ Goto Documentation

+ Search Stack Overflow

• Like 1

Thanks for this diogo !

After reading how many here seem to like Sublime, I downloaded ST3 and I have to say it was very interesting. After installing the package manager and downloading the Soda theme and configuring it, it was great. After downloading a color scheme for Soda and just tweaking the color for comments, it is now awesome!!!

I look forward to the SFTP package (commercial) for ST3 to be released so that it can send files to the server.

Screen_Shot_2013_08_18_at_6_05_27_AM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2013_08_18_at_6_05_52_AM.jpg

I also like that the sidebar can easily be hidden with a keyboard shortcut and that when it is visible, thanks to the soda theme, it looks rather Mac OS X like...

So thanks to all the ST guys here for suggesting this...

Cheers guys!

I never ended up using SFTP for ST2, just couldn't get my head around it. Found a nice alternative though was tying my local versions to live versions through Transmit and now I just press CMD-U and my local file gets replicated on the live version.

Sublime Text 2 with plugins:

+ Package control

+ Emmet

+ JavaScript

+ jQuery

+ DocBlockr

+ PHPcs

+ PHPTidy

+ Prefixer

+ SublimeCodeIntel

+ SublimeLinter

+ SFTP

+ SideBArEnhancements

+ BracketHighlighter

+ TrailingSpaces

+ Alignment

+ Goto Documentation

+ Search Stack Overflow

Good list Valan, I can't imagine a better editor than ST for general coding though I suddenly am missing the simple theme from TextMate!

SFTP for Sublime is just awesome! :)

There's nothing missing (touches wood) and you can even monitor local files like less or scss that gets preprocessed when saving and let sftp watch the css if they have changed through other tools and upload it (apart from the upload on save option this is really handy). super+ctrl+u+m to monitor and done.

SFTP for Sublime is just awesome! :)

There's nothing missing (touches wood) and you can even monitor local files like less or scss that gets preprocessed when saving and let sftp watch the css if they have changed through other tools and upload it (apart from the upload on save option this is really handy). super+ctrl+u+m to monitor and done.

Sounds good. I just think it's one of those things (like ST itself) that's a bit involved to get things up and running but when you do it's brilliant.

Yeah it is, and it's with what I feed my family ;)

( I actually don't get the involved part, as I find ST to be the opposite of most other tools and IDE where I constantly failed to get involved)

• Like 1

Interesting cross-platform solution, still in alpha http://www.lighttable.com/

(the project collectected $316,720 on a kickstarter campaign in 2012 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibdknox/light-table)

------------

edit:

I took some minutes to follow the getting started http://docs.lighttable.com/, and I must say I'm impressed (support for PHP is not great yet though)

What languages does Light Table support?
Light Table's general editor capabilities will work with most languages out there, but it has deeper language integrations (things like inline eval) for Clojure, ClojureScript, Javascript, Python, HTML, and CSS. More languages will be added via plugins in the future.
  • Like 1