holmescreek

Renaming Processwire Site on Temporary Domain account to Permanent Domian account?

4 posts in this topic

Summary: If I have a site sitting on a server called testing.com, then on the server change it to mycompany.com, do I have to modify any settings in ProcessWire?

After building several processwire for clients, the one question that I haven't had is about moving a processwire site from an old (temporary) domain to a new domain.

For instance, I typically setup development sites for clients and register a temporary domain (and lock with a password). For instance, thee client can go test.com and get all their content finalized, change wording, add news, swap out photos -- everything to make the site production read.  

Next, on my hosting account I can have testing.com renamed to theircompany.com - and change the nameservers.

A simple question here. If I have a hosting company rename the account from testing.com to theircompany.com, change my nameservers whereas going to theircompany.com loads the production site, Is there anything I need to change in the processwire configuration or in the PW database?

In the past, I've just manually copied the site, and fresh-installed PW, and imported the data. Seems like a lot of hassle.

I have a second part question about updating the PW core, however, after consideration I'll post it as a new topic.

You don't need to change anything in the database. The only change needed in this case is the httpHosts array:

$config->httpHosts = array('testing.com'); 

in the config.php file. 

3 people like this

If it is a new install, then the user salt (site/config.php) will be different, which affects the passwords.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, rick said:

which affects the passwords

userAuthSalt: " it is forever tied to the passwords as a secondary salt."

But if you use the very same database and files normally you should only need to update $config->httpHosts as @Sérgio Jardim pointed it out above.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Herrmann22
      Hi,
      i build at the moment my first website with ProcessWire. Now I want integrate a 3D configurator like on the following site.
      Know anywhere a PlugIn or another module with them I can realize my project? Thanks for help.
    • By Cody Connor
      I installed the InputfieldCKEditor module and am using the ck editor in all of the fields on my processwire website.  I need to be able to drag images into the CKEditor field so I downloaded a CKEditor plugin called simpleuploads put it into /site/modules/InputfieldCKEditor/plugins/ and added the plugin to the field I am working on.  I have tried doing it many different ways and the plugins still are not working and I have no idea where to go from here.
      I am working with processwire version 3.0.61.
      I am using CKEditor version 4.4.2.

• By holmescreek
      I just posted a question about moving PW from a resting domain to a production domain, after consideration I figure I would create a new post for a second question I have.
      I noticed the coming feature of client size image resizing. This will be really helpful, as I have some clients on a Satellite connection. I'm telling you, them trying to upload 15MB images, or them getting them straight on batch resizers (or Photoshop) to resize before upload is a real chore. Needless to say, Ryan has been doing an excellent job addressing this.
      My question, is that I have several clients on PW 2.x thru 3.x. Is there a really good guide on steps that I need to take to update the core to take advantage of the features of new releases? Are their perils to look out for?
      Yeah, after developing several sites, I feel a bit silly about asking this one, but, the docs doesn't seem to be clear in a "general" sense of upgrading the core across all versions.
      Thanks everyone for your time and assistance.
    • By hollyvalero
      I have a website on a shared server that I use to store a few sites. My active domain is at the top.  The new website domain hasn't been activated yet, but the path would be something like:  myactivedomain.com/newdomain.com/ and once the DNS is flipped, just newdomain.com/
      As I am building and adding a load of PDFs, all the links default to /newdomain.com/site/assets/files/etc...
      This isn't migration, but a DNS activation.  Once that is updated, I'm still going to have a bunch of /newdomain.com/ links in there to pages, pdfs, images, etc. 
      Before I resign myself to grepping out page-by-page all the "/newdomain.com/" references I thought I would see if there's a way to update these automatically in processwire but I'm seeing stuff on migration... stuff in the rich editors about correcting links, but I don't see anything that covers this.  Is there a way to do this automatically? Via module? I didn't see anything in the config file... but would be grateful to anyone who can shed some light... 

• By theo
      Hello
      I would like to preview changes I've just made to a page in the backend ("unsaved" changes).
      I would not like to hide the current page on the public website.
      Is this possible? I can't find out how.
      In 2011 Ryan said this was coming soon. https://processwire.com/talk/topic/708-preview-locking-versions-and-multiple-trees/#comment-5790
      I have tried http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-preview/ but it doesn't work in 3.0.42.
      I have also tried version control, http://modules.processwire.com/modules/version-control/
      But I don't know if this is possible with module "VersionControl".
      Can you help?
      Thank you.