Tracy Debugger

adrian

@adrian Thanks for your reply. My site is at http://planetalert.tuxfamily.org . I have just installed TracyDenugger there. It doesn't appear but from what I've read in the settings, that's normal, everything is stored in log files. Ok, but how do I give you access to useful things (admin access?). Sorry if you feel like I'm messing things up and being a nuisance...

Actually, I've just tested 1 thing : forcing the DEV mode so I can see Tracy's bar. I saw the 'Processwire Debug Panel' and clicked on the 'Pages loaded' link, and it went to my 404 page like I said... I turned the setting back to DETECT. Feel free to tell me if you want me to do some things or to private message you some logs or whatever...

Edit : PM sent. Thank you so much.

@celfred - I would need superuser access to the site to be able to test the issue of the pages loaded going to the 404 and also the issue of it appearing in the backend when not checked. Don't worry, you can trust me :) Obviously PM the login details.

Thanks @adrian that's exactly what I was asking for.  I like the configuration as well.

I upgraded Tracy on two local sites, one site works correctly on the frontend and backend.  The other site doesn't show the toggle on the frontend, it works fine on the backend.  I'm not sure why yet.  I have tried uninstall/reinstalling the module.  I tried clearing the browser caches.  I tried refreshing the PW modules.  All I see on the frontend is the old Tracy debug bar.

Do you have any ideas what is causing this?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmclelland said:

Thanks @adrian that's exactly what I was asking for.  I like the configuration as well.

I upgraded Tracy on two local sites, one site works correctly on the frontend and backend.  The other site doesn't show the toggle on the frontend, it works fine on the backend.  I'm not sure why yet.  I have tried uninstall/reinstalling the module.  I tried clearing the browser caches.  I tried refreshing the PW modules.  All I see on the frontend is the old Tracy debug bar.

Do you have any ideas what is causing this?

Are there any JS errors in the console for the frontend of the site where it isn't working? I am replacing the old close button with the hide button via JS so maybe there would be some clues there? Can you point me to the site?

The site that is having a problem is using the Twig template engine using https://github.com/wanze/TemplateEngineFactory and https://github.com/wanze/TemplateEngineTwig.

I wonder if it is because the TracyDebugger module is using a hook to add the javascript?  I'm not very familiar with hooks, but maybe the hook doesn't run after Twig has compiled the markup?

• Like 1

Just as a follow-up in case people wonder, here's a copy of the message I sent to @adrian

I'm still struggling !!!

Here's what I have so far : In my head.inc, I had those lines (I can't remember why I needed them, really...)

$whitelist = array('127.0.0.1', 'localhost');
if(!in_array($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], $whitelist)){
   // Remote server
   echo "<base href='/index.html'>";
 } else {
   // Localhost
   echo "<base href='/PlanetAlert/index.html'>";
 }

I commented them out on localhost and Tracy works as expected ! Thanks for your help !

Now I'll check later if I can comment these lines out on live site ;) And I'm gonna dig this Teams page but that will be for my other post on 'Optimisation' :)

Thanks again !

• Like 1

Ok, on line 294 of TracyDebugger.module, I changed it to

$this->addHookAfter('Page::render', $this, 'addCustomStuff', array('priority'=>'100.7'));

After I did this, I started seeing the toggle link on the frontend.

The templateEngineFactory module (Page::render() TemplateEngineFactory::hookRender()) had a priority of 100.5.  TracyDebugger had a priority of 100.4, so it ran too early.

What do you think is the best way to fix this?

• Like 1

@gmclelland - thanks for helping to track that down!

I think that 100.5 priority in TemplateEngineFactory is being set automatically. I am honestly not sure the best way to approach fixing this. The most guaranteed would probably be if I manually set it to say 1000, to make sure it is after any other hooks that might also manually set the priority to a high value. I guess I'll do that for now. There are actually a few Page::render hooks used in Tracy, so I will take care of those as well because I feel like TemplateEngineFactory will be breaking those as well.

Thanks again!

@gmclelland and everyone.

Latest version takes care of the hook priority issue and adds a new feature to the new hide/show toggle button.

Now if you have it hidden and it detects an error it will force it to display. Once you fix the error, it will go back to being hidden again. I think this is a nice compromise for those who don't like having the debug bar visible all the time, but don't want to miss any reported notices/warnings.

Please let me know if you notice any problems with this change.

• Like 3

@adrian - Thanks for adding that new feature.  I just tested the new version and noticed a few of issues.

1. I don't think the "Hide debug bar by default" setting is working for me anymore.  I swear it was working before.  Now, the debug bar always shows expanded when enabled on the frontend or backend.

2. Maybe add checkboxes for a "Hide debug bar by default on the frontend" and "Hide debug bar by default on the backend" settings?

3. I don't think the padding got applied to the toggle when the bar is in a collapsed state when viewed on the backend.  I'm using the default admin theme.  You can see this by toggling the bar.  The height of the toggle button doesn't match the height of the debug bar.  It looks fine on the frontend though.

1 minute ago, gmclelland said:

1. I don't think the "Hide debug bar by default" setting is working for me anymore.  I swear it was working before.  Now, the debug bar always shows expanded when enabled on the frontend or backend.

Once you have clicked to show it, a cookie is set which overrides the config setting. Or is this because there are errors in the errors panel, which as I mentioned now forces it to display, which I think is a good idea, but can revisit/make configurable if you needs don't like it.

2 minutes ago, gmclelland said:

2. Maybe add checkboxes for a "Hide debug bar by default on the frontend" and "Hide debug bar by default on the backend" settings?

I know I already have a lot of settings, but I feel like this might be going a little too far :) especially given how easy it is to toggle.

4 minutes ago, gmclelland said:

3. I don't think the padding got applied to the toggle when the bar is in a collapsed state when viewed on the backend.  I'm using the default admin theme.  You can see this by toggling the bar.  The height of the toggle button doesn't match the height of the debug bar.  It looks fine on the frontend though.

It looks the same to me both front and backend. Perhaps you have extra padding on the frontend due to some css cascading down? Could you maybe post some comparison screenshots and/or debug the css to see what might be conflicting.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, tpr said:

Now if you have it hidden and it detects an error it will force it to display. 

How about extending it to bd() calls too?

Not sure about this - I like your thinking, but then where do I stop? Do I extend it even further to display if there is a new PW or Logs panel item? What about a new Mail panel or Page recorder entry?

I think perhaps that manually triggered things shouldn't automatically unhide the bar because you know you've added the call so you will be looking for an entry on the bar. If anything I think maybe the logs panels should maybe trigger display of the bar if they are error related entries.

As always though I am open to feedback if others think this change would be good.

To fix the toggle button height and width jumping, I had to add the following to #show-button:

box-sizing: border-box;
line-height: normal;
padding: 4px 15px 2px 6px !important;
width: 16px !important;

So all together it looks like this:

#show-button {
    bottom: 0;
    right: 0;
    z-index: 99999;
    position: fixed;
    width: 16px !important;
    margin: 0 !important;
    padding: 4px 15px 2px 6px !important;
    background: #FFFFFF !important;
    border: 1px solid #DDDDDD !important;
    font-size: 12px !important;
    cursor: pointer;
    box-sizing: border-box;
    line-height: normal;
}

Works in the default and Reno admin themes and my frontend theme.  Hope that helps

Here is the pull request https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/pull/9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrian said:

Not sure about this - I like your thinking, but then where do I stop? 

It's up to you :) I'm fine with the expanded bar too, just thought this could save some clicks.

New Captain Hook panel just added!

Features:

1. The hooks are parsed directly from the files in your PW installation, so they will always be up to date.
  2. They are cached, but will be updated whenever you upgrade your PW version.
  3. If you have your Editor Protocol Handler properly configured for Tracy, clicking on the Line Number will open to the method in your code editor.

This panel uses @owzim's Captain Hook generator: https://github.com/owzim/PWCaptainHookCLI

Please let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.43.45 PM.png

• Like 8

I'm seeing an error in the new Captain Hook panel on Windows - I think it's the path slashes issue.

ErrorException: file_get_contents(D:/Websites/__www/1testing/wire/): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\Websites\__www\1testing\site\assets\cache\FileCompiler\site\modules\TracyDebugger\CaptainHook\classes\CaptainHookSearch.php:44

Dumping $filenamesArray in CaptainHookSearch::getHooks() shows paths like...

"D:/Websites/__www/1testing/wire/"
"D:/Websites/__www/1testing/wire\config.php"
"D:/Websites/__www/1testing/wire\core\admin.php"
"D:/Websites/__www/1testing/wire\core\boot.php"

Edit: actually, it might be the first item in the array that's the problem: "D:/Websites/__www/1testing/wire/". Seems like this shouldn't be in there seeing as it's a directory and and not a .php or .module file.

• Like 1

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic