adrian

Tracy Debugger

adrian    7,670

Introducing a new module which brings the Tracy Debugger (https://tracy.nette.org/) to ProcessWire.

A big thanks to @tpr for introducing me to Tracy and for the idea for this module and for significant feedback, testing, and feature suggestions.

The most comprehensive set of instructions and examples is now available on the PW blog: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/introducing-tracy-debugger/

Modules Directory: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/tracy-debugger/
Github: https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger

• quickly detect and correct errors with an expandable call stack tree
  • log errors (and optionally receive emails when an error occurs in production mode)
  • dump variables
  • measure execution time of scripts/queries
  • see memory consumption between breakpoints

Debug Bar

I have added a custom ProcessWire panel which shows all the content of the current page object, along with all the info from the admin debug tools mode.

It also includes a PW Debug Mode badge to warn you that debug mode is on - great reminder for live sites.

A Method Info tab details the dumping/logging calls that you can make from your templates etc.

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 1.19.29 PM.png

Error Reporting

Expandable call stack of errors and other useful information:

joxi_screenshot_1455322556737.png

Manual Dumping, Logging, and Timing

Content can be dumped to the page via TD::dump() or to the debug bar via TD::barDump(), or logged via TD::log() from PW template files. eg.

TD::barDump($page->body, 'Body Field');
TD::barDump($fields->body, 'Body Settings');

Screen-Shot-2016-02-12-at-4.07.05-PM.png

TD::dump($page);

Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 4.11.34 PM.png

Logging to Console (FireLog)

This works with Chrome and Firefox

TD::fireLog()
fireLog()
fl()

To make this work you need to install these browser extensions:

Chrome:
https://github.com/MattSkala/chrome-firelogger

Firefox:
http://www.getfirebug.com/
http://firelogger.binaryage.com/

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 1.21.36 PM.png 

Logging to File

TD::log('Log Message');

By default, manually logged content is sent to: /site/assets/logs/tracy/info.log, but you can specify an optional second parameter to one of the following: 'debug', 'info', 'warning', 'error', 'exception', 'critical' files.
eg. which will put the message in the debug.info file. 

TD::log('Log Message', 'debug'); 

Available Methods

TD::dump()
TD::barDump()
TD::log()
TD::addBreakpoint()
TD::timer()

You can also use these shortcuts/aliases:

TD::dump($var)

dump()
d()

TD::barDump($var, $title)

barDump()
bd()

TD::log($message)

l()

Just in case you are wondering, log() is already defined in PW, which is why it is not included here.

TD::fireLog($message)

fireLog()
fl()

TD:addBreakpoint($name)

addBreakpoint()
bp()

TD:timer($name)

timer()
t()

These aliases/shortcuts can be disabled in the module config setting, either altogether, or individually, just in case you have functions with the same names defined them elsewhere on your site and are getting a "previously declared" error.

Config Settings 

There are several config settings to control the output of errors, dumps, logging, and emails of errors. If you find any additional Tracy settings that you would also like to have access to, please let me know and I'll be happy to add them.

• Like 37

adrian    7,670

Thanks to a bug report from horst I just committed a new version that fixes a Windows directory path issue.

He also pointed me to another problem which is turns out means that this module currently only works with the 3.x branch of PW. I will look into supporting 2.x, but for the moment if you want to test, you will need 3.x or you can probably make it work on 2.7 if you uncheck "Show ProcessWire Panel" in the config settings. You'll miss out on that functionality, but hopefully everything else should work.

• Like 1

Ivan Gretsky    804

That is something nearly every developer can make use of. Thanks adrian and tpr!

Could you please suggest a proper way to debug process modules stuff with it? On the tracy page I have read about outputting stuff to fiebug...

adrian    7,670

That is something nearly every developer can make use of. Thanks adrian and tpr!

Could you please suggest a proper way to debug process modules stuff with it? On the tracy page I have read about outputting stuff to fiebug...

Thanks Ivan, there are several options - Firebug is actually something I haven't implement yet in this module. It requires an additional package which I haven't included. I figure that most of us are on Chrome, so didn't bother with it yet. But if there is interest, I will definitely take a look.

I should have pointed to the best of the Tracy docs: https://doc.nette.org/en/2.3/debugging - for some reason the ones on the main page don't include the barDump() option yet.

You can use: TD::dump(), TD::barDump(), TD::log()

I also implemented some aliases - d(), bd(), l() as very short options for lazy typists, but not sure about keeping these due to possible name conflicts.

Anyway, let me know if that links helps and if you have any specific questions.

Edited by adrian
Corrected info about the Firebug option.

adrian    7,670

Thanks everyone for the great interest in this module!

I have just added 2 new sections to the PW panel that shows details of all fields on the current page.

I would love to hear from you if you have any ideas for other sections/info that you would find useful to have in the PW panel.

List View

Shows basic details with the name linked to the edit page for that field:

post-985-0-77931100-1455395881_thumb.png

Object View

Shows the fields object - for details of each field, expand the "data" section:

post-985-0-51904500-1455395880_thumb.png

• Like 4

adrian    7,670

Sorry, this is just too much fun :)

Just added a Current Page Info section, with links to edit the page (from the name), edit the template, and open the page tree with this page expanded to show the children (from the number of children).

post-985-0-19806300-1455399024_thumb.png

• Like 3

adrian    7,670

Looks like you're really in love with Tracy :)

Actually I am, and have been for 18 years now, but that is a very different kind of love ;)

• Like 4

tpr    2,224

That was high time then to make a module from it :)

Page Info: it's useful, but it's a bit inconvenient to show. How about adding it to a separate tab? That way it would only require to hover. 

I don't know how much work is it, just asking.

adrian    7,670

That was high time then to make a module from it :)

Page Info: it's useful, but it's a bit inconvenient to show. How about adding it to a separate tab? That way it would only require to hover. 

I don't know how much work is it, just asking.

New tab/panel isn't hard to do at all, but I wonder whether just having that section always expanded would be ok/better?

There are so many options and ways to present info that I am not totally sure the best option yet. I'd really love some thoughts from others about what they think they would use/access most often. Perhaps I could add several PW tabs/panels with different elements on each. Anyone have any ideas on what else they would like to have accessible and what should be grouped with what?

EDIT: I have just made the Page Info section open by default so a hover over the PW tab is enough to see that info. Still amenable to making separate tabs/panels if that is the consensus though.

• Like 1

adrian    7,670

Just been playing around with shortcuts to the various dump/log methods.

TD::dump()
TD::barDump()
TD::log()
TD::timer()

You can now also use these shortcuts/aliases:

TD::dump($var)

dump()
d()

TD::barDump($var, $title)

barDump()
bd()

TD::log($message)

l()

Just in case you are wondering, log() is already defined in PW, which is why it is not included here.

TD::fireLog($message)

fireLog()
fl()

TD:timer($name)

timer()
t()

These aliases/shortcuts can be disabled in the module config setting, either altogether, or individually, just in case you have functions with the same names defined them elsewhere on your site and are getting a "previously declared" error.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on these shortcuts/aliases - I think they make dumping/logging substantially quicker, but I am definitely open to suggestion/criticisms to this approach.

adrian    7,670

In followup to that last post, I decided to add an option to load the Tracy library for non-superusers.

This will NOT show errors or the debug bar for non-superusers. It just loads the Tracy library so that you can call Tracy methods directly, eg. Tracy\Debugger::dump() without non-superusers getting a "Fatal error: Class \'Tracy\Debugger\' not found" fatal error.

The downside to this setting is that the library is loaded for everyone - while it may not be a significant increase in resources, it is still something, so in general I recommend leaving this unchecked.

tpr    2,224

How about making a dummy Tracy class with barDump/dump/log methods to load for non-superusers? (as a workaround)

This way less resources would be needed.

• Like 1

adrian    7,670

How about making a dummy Tracy class with barDump/dump/log methods to load for non-superusers? (as a workaround)

This way less resources would be needed.

I think that sounds like a decent approach, so I just implemented it.

Now there is no need to worry if for some reason you want to make direct calls via (Tracy\Debugger::method()) on a live site as non-superusers will just get the dummy methods which return nothing.

I also just implemented the TD::timer() method, along with timer() and t() shortcut aliases.

With timer() you can do:

t();
// insert resource intensive code here
bd(t());

to dump the results of the time to the debug bar.

• Like 1

adrian    7,670

t() returns number like 3.0994415283203e-6 Could that be "better" formated?

Sure, it is now rounded to 4 decimal places. This matches the precision of PW's built in Debug::timer() which of course you could also use and dump or bardump to Tracy.

Is that what you were getting at?

I have also added the name of the timer to the output - if you specify it like:

t('first');
sleep(1);
bd(t('first'));

t('second');
sleep(2);
bd(t('second'));

This way you can have multiple timers and output them at once, and know which value responds to which timer.

Please let me know if that is better for you, or if you have any more specific suggestions.

tpr    2,224

There's a typo in the name of "ShortcutMethods": the first "S" is lowercase in the filename which causes an error (perhaps not on every server).

adrian    7,670

There's a typo in the name of "ShortcutMethods": the first "S" is lowercase in the filename which causes an error (perhaps not on every server).

That's weird - it was actually a git issue - I had already changed the filename locally to match the require statement, but git didn't update it when syncing. Looks to be fixed now.

• Like 1

adrian    7,670

4 decimal places is ok (from my point of view), but now it show 0.0 instead of 0.0000

Weird - I am not seeing that at all - could you please post exactly how you are calling this? Also, how many times have you reloaded the page. As you can image if the result was 3.100000000 it would round to be 3.1, rather than 3.1000, although it seems unlikely that the result would only have 2 significant figures.

I am wondering what might be different on your setup. I don't see why PHP version would matter and can't think of anything else.

Anyone else out there seeing only one decimal place?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By antoiba86
      I am a bit confused, because I don't know how to solve this problem.
      When I install the module Languages Support - Page Names, my web falls apart.
      I have all the necessary modules installed as Language support for example.
      This is the error I get in the admin panel.
      Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 107 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 198 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 1011 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 1011 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 1041
      And this in the front-end.
      Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 107
      Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on null in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 605 Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on null in /hosting/www/antoibaprogramming.com/public/wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupportPageNames.module on line 605
    • By kongondo
      The Module Blog for ProcessWire replicates and extends the popular Blog Profile.
      Blog is now in version 2.
      Please read the README in the Github link below in its entirety before using this module 
      Blog Documentation is here (Work in Progress!)
      See this post for new features in version 2 or the readme in GitHub.
      To upgrade from version 1, see these instructions.
      ##################################################
      Most of the text below refers to Blog version 1 (left here for posterity). 

Blog version 1 consists of two modules:
      ProcessBlog: Manage Blog in the backend/Admin.
      MarkupBlog: Display Blog in the frontend.
      Being a module, Blog can be installed in both fresh and existing sites. Note, however, that presently, ProcessBlog is not compatible with existing installs of the Blog Profile. This is because of various structural and naming differences in respect of Fields, Templates, Template Files and Pages. If there is demand for such compatibility, I will code a separate version for managing Blog Profile installs.
      In order to use the 'Recent Tweets Widget', you will need to separately install and setup the module 'MarkupTwitterFeed'.
      Please read the README in the Github link below in its entirety before using this module (especially the bit about the Pages, etc. created by the module). 
      I'll appreciate Beta testers, thanks! Stable release works fine.
      Download
      Modules Directory: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-blog/
      Github: https://github.com/kongondo/Blog
      You can also install from right within your ProcessWire install.
      Screenshots (Blog version 1)

Video Demos
      ProcessBlog
      MarkupBlog
      Credits
      Ryan Cramer
      The Alpha Testers and 'Critics' 
      License
      GPL2
    • By bernhard
      hi everybody,
      this is a preview of a module that i'm working on for quite a long time. I needed it for an intranet office management application that i'm still working on. It makes it very easy to create very customized Datatables using the awesome jquery datatables plugin (www.datatables.net)

EARLY ALPHA release!
      It's very likely that there will lots of changes to this module that may cause breaking your implementations.

Module source
      sorry, removed as it changes too frequently; closed alpha - contact me if you think you can contribute

Remarks:
      The module is intended to be used on the backend. Loading styles is at the moment only done via adding files to the $config->styles/scripts arrays. Also the communicaton to javascript is done via the $config->js() method that is built into the admin and would have to be implemented manually on frontend use. But it would not be difficult of course
      Installation:
      Nothing special here, just download + install

edit: removed some parts, because i made a complete rewrite of the module! (see last posting in the thread)

Customization example:
      in the screencast you see an example that i'm using in a process module. i put the table inside an InputfieldMarkup just to have the same look&feel all around the admin. you see that you could also use this module to create tables quickly and easily using @kongondo s runtime markup module.
      complete PHP code:
      $this->headline('Kundenliste'); $form = $modules->get('InputfieldForm'); // init datatables module $dt2 = $modules->get('RockDataTables2'); // setup columns // name $col = new dtCol(); $col->name = 'name'; $col->title = 'Name'; $col->data = function($page) { return $page->title; }; $dt2->cols->add($col); // type $col = new dtCol(); $col->name = 'type'; $col->data = function($page) { return $page->rockcontact_type->title; }; $dt2->cols->add($col); // modified $col = new dtCol(); $col->name = 'modified'; $col->data = function($page) { $obj = new stdClass(); $obj->timestamp = $page->modified; $obj->display = date('d.m.Y', $page->modified); return $obj; }; $dt2->cols->add($col); // setup table $dt2->id = 'dt_kundenliste'; $dt2->js('/site/modules/ProcessRockProjects/dt_kundenliste.js'); $f = $modules->get('InputfieldMarkup'); $f->value = $dt2->render(); $form->add($f); // ################################## // ajax request -> return data // non-ajax -> render form + table // ################################## if($config->ajax) { echo $dt2->getJSON($pages->find('template=rockcontact, sort=random, limit=10000')); die(); } else $out .= $form->render(); return $out; what is interesting here is this part:
      // modified $col = new dtCol(); $col->name = 'modified'; $col->data = function($page) { $obj = new stdClass(); $obj->timestamp = $page->modified; $obj->display = date('d.m.Y', $page->modified); return $obj; }; $dt2->cols->add($col); datatables support orthogonal data (https://datatables.net/extensions/buttons/examples/html5/outputFormat-orthogonal.html). a date column is a good example, because you need to DISPLAY a formatted date (like 10.02.2017) but you need to be able to SORT this column by a different value (timestamp). its very easy to accomplish this by providing both values in your json. Btw: You could also just transfer the timestamp and do the formatting on the client-side via javascript. Next Example will show ho this would work. Both cases can be necessary, it's just an example here.
      [...] removed
      Why i created this module:
      of course i know @Soma s module but i needed a lot more features and the newer datatables version. also i like to define all the columns as objects and have everything on one place. lister & markupadmindatatable: nice for basic tables but lacks of features to modify the appearance of the cell values (like rendering icons, background colors and so on) datatables provides a great frontend API for filtering, showing/hiding columns, getting data, modifying it... it also plays well together with frontend charts like google chart api in this case:

todo / roadmap:
      all kinds of column filters (like seen in the example above that shows an older and bloated version of this module) support for ajax filters and pagination (currently all filtering and sorting is done on the client side. i tried it with up to 50.000 rows and got reasonable results. initial loading took around 10sec. but of course this heavily depends on the complexity of your table and your data.  

• By Robin S
      PageListTrash
      Allows non-superusers to trash pages directly from Page List (if they have page-delete permission for that page).
      Not much to say really - the module adds a "Trash" option to the extra actions for pages in Page List. It looks and works just like the Trash action available to superusers.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/PageListTrash/

Up to you whether you think non-superusers should be trusted with simpler trashing. For most cases I like the default behaviour where editors have to jump through some more hoops - I want them to think carefully about what they are doing. But if an editor needs to trash several pages then this module might reduce frustration.
      @tpr, by now you can probably predict what I'm going to say...
      ...something to merge into AdminOnSteroids?
    • By horst
      Wire Mail SMTP

An extension to the new WireMail base class that uses SMTP-transport

This module integrates EmailMessage, SMTP and SASL php-libraries from Manuel Lemos into ProcessWire. I use this continously evolved libraries for about 10 years now and there was never a reason or occasion not to do so. I use it nearly every day in my office for automated composing and sending personalized messages with attachments, requests for Disposition Notifications, etc. Also I have used it for sending personalized Bulkmails many times.

The WireMailSmtp module extends the new email-related WireMail base class introduced in ProcessWire 2.4.1 (while this writing, the dev-branch only).

Here are Ryans announcement.

Current Version 0.2.5
      get it from the Modules Directory Install and Configure

Download the module into your site/modules/ directory and install it.

In the config page you fill in settings for the SMTP server and optionaly the (default) sender, like email address, name and signature.
      You can test the smtp settings directly there. If it says "SUCCESS! SMTP settings appear to work correctly." you are ready to start using it in templates, modules or bootstrap scripts.

Usage Examples
      The simplest way to use it:
      $numSent = wireMail($to, $from, $subject, $textBody); $numSent = wireMail($to, '', $subject, $textBody); // or with a default sender emailaddress on config page This will send a plain text message to each recipient.

You may also use the object oriented style:
      $mail = wireMail(); // calling an empty wireMail() returns a wireMail object $mail->to($toEmail, $toName); $mail->from = $yourEmailaddress; // if you don't have set a default sender in config // or if you want to override that $mail->subject($subject); $mail->body($textBody); $numSent = $mail->send(); Or chained, like everywhere in ProcessWire:
      $mail = wireMail(); $numSent = $mail->to($toEmail)->subject($subject)->body($textBody)->send(); Additionaly to the basics there are more options available with WireMailSmtp. The main difference compared to the WireMail BaseClass is the sendSingle option. With it you can set only one To-Recipient but additional CC-Recipients.
      $mail = wireMail(); $mail->sendSingle(true)->to($toEmail, $toName)->cc(array('person1@example.com', 'person2@example.com', 'person3@example.com')); $numSent = $mail->subject($subject)->body($textBody)->send(); The same as function call with options array:
      $options = array( 'sendSingle' => true, 'cc' => array('person1@example.com', 'person2@example.com', 'person3@example.com') ); $numSent = wireMail($to, '', $subject, $textBody, $options); There are methods to your disposal to check if you have the right WireMail-Class and if the SMTP-settings are working:
      $mail = wireMail(); if($mail->className != 'WireMailSmtp') { // Uups, wrong WireMail-Class: do something to inform the user and quit echo "<p>Couldn't get the right WireMail-Module (WireMailSmtp). found: {$mail->className}</p>"; return; } if(!$mail->testConnection()) { // Connection not working: echo "<p>Couldn't connect to the SMTP server. Please check the {$mail->className} modules config settings!</p>"; return; } Following are a ...

List of all options and features

testConnection () - returns true on success, false on failures

sendSingle ( true | false ) - default is false

sendBulk ( true | false ) - default is false, Set this to true if you have lots of recipients (50+)

to ($recipients) - one emailaddress or array with multiple emailaddresses

cc ($recipients) - only available with mode sendSingle, one emailaddress or array with multiple emailaddresses

bcc ($recipients) - one emailaddress or array with multiple emailaddresses

from = 'person@example.com' - emailaddress, can be set in module config (called Sender Emailaddress) but it can be overwritten here

fromName = 'Name Surname' - optional, can be set in module config (called Sender Name) but it can be overwritten here

priority (3) - 1 = Highest | 2 = High | 3 = Normal | 4 = Low | 5 = Lowest

dispositionNotification () or notification () - request a Disposition Notification

subject ($subject) - subject of the message

body ($textBody) - use this one alone to create and send plainText emailmessages

bodyHTML ($htmlBody) - use this to create a Multipart Alternative Emailmessage (containing a HTML-Part and a Plaintext-Part as fallback)

addSignature ( true | false ) - the default-behave is selectable in config screen, this can be overridden here
      (only available if a signature is defined in the config screen)

attachment ($filename, $alternativeBasename = "") - add attachment file, optionally alternative basename

send () - send the message(s) and return number of successful sent messages

getResult () - returns a dump (array) with all recipients (to, cc, bcc) and settings you have selected with the message, the message subject and body, and lists of successfull addresses and failed addresses,

logActivity ($logmessage) - you may log success if you want

logError ($logmessage) - you may log warnings, too. - Errors are logged automaticaly

useSentLog (true | false) - intended for usage with e.g. third party newsletter modules - tells the send() method to make usage of the sentLog-methods - the following three sentLog methods are hookable, e.g. if you don't want log into files you may provide your own storage, or add additional functionality here

sentLogReset ()  - starts a new LogSession - Best usage would be interactively once when setting up a new Newsletter

sentLogGet ()  - is called automaticly within the send() method - returns an array containing all previously used emailaddresses

sentLogAdd ($emailaddress)  - is called automaticly within the send() method

Changelog: https://github.com/horst-n/WireMailSmtp/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md