Hi, new version is here, as I promised. It's currently on the dev branch: https://github.com/uiii/ProcessWire-FieldtypePDF/tree/dev. The readme is updated so everything should be clear. It contains tests and they successfully passed for PW 2.4, 2.5. If you can try the module, I'd be glad to hear your opinions and suggestions.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, my hosting provider said they couldn't update GS to 9.x...

Thanks for the update - will check it out as soon as I can. :)

I'm trying this (dev) on PW 2.6 and it works fine so far but I'm not sure why it's using Image field ... like it has the pdf file but showing an image that in PW 2.6 has a dialog for cropping etc. The file basename is a link that opens a modal where there's an error:

TemplateFile: Field file_pdf is not an instance of FieldtypeImage<pre>#0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Modules.php(441): ProcessPageEditImageSelect->init() #1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Modules.php(1012): Modules->initModule(Object(ProcessPageEditImageSelect), false) #2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Modules.php(919): Modules->getModule('ProcessPageEdit...') #3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/ProcessController.php(135): Modules->get('ProcessPageEdit...') #4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/ProcessController.php(209): ProcessController->getProcess() #5 [internal function]: ProcessController->___execute() #6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #8 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/admin.php(93): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #9 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/admin.php(93): ProcessController->execute() #10 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault/controller.php(13): require('/Applications/M...') #11 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/site/templates/admin.php(15): require('/Applications/M...') #12 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(169): require('/Applications/M...') #13 [internal function]: TemplateFile->___render() #14 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #15 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #16 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/PageRender.module(385): Wire->__call('render', Array) #17 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/PageRender.module(385): TemplateFile->render() #18 [internal function]: PageRender->___renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #19 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #20 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('renderPage', Array) #21 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(409): Wire->__call('renderPage', Array) #22 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(409): PageRender->renderPage(Object(HookEvent)) #23 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('render', Array) #24 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(187): Wire->__call('render', Array) #25 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(187): Page->render() #26 [internal function]: ProcessPageView->___execute(true) #27 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(387): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #28 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/wire/core/Wire.php(325): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array) #29 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/index.php(241): Wire->__call('execute', Array) #30 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/verbandsnet/index.php(241): ProcessPageView->execute(true) #31 {main}</pre>

When creating the PDF field I'm seeing configurations same like an image field, but it's not. I'm not sure this is the right direction of how this should work.

Because I'm not able to download/open the PDF itself in the admin like I expect when clicking on the basename. Maybe I get it wrong, but it's not only about creating an image of a pdf but also having the pdf itself. So there maybe the best way is to introduce your own "renderItem()" method again instead of using the parent method.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't tried the PW 2.6 yet. The reason why I used image inputfield is to render the PDF thumbnails exactly the same way as images. But maybe you are right, I should have used my own render method. I'll check it out.

• Like 1

Not sure why this worked, but I had to modify the ImageMagick code in PagePDF.php a bit to get it working on GoDaddy shared hosting (I know, I know...):

$imagick = new Imagick($this->filename . "[0]");
$imagick->setResolution(300, 300);
$imagick->setOption('pdf:use-cropbox', 'true');
//$imagick->setColorspace(Imagick::COLORSPACE_RGB);
//$imagick->readimage($this->filename . "[0]");
$imagick->setImageFormat('png');
$imagick->scaleImage($width, $height);
$imagick->writeImage($filename);

I believe it has to do with GoDaddy running old versions of IM and GhostScript, but I'm not certain.

Hi @evan,
yes, it's probably because of the old version of IM and GS. What was the problem exactly (error message, ...), can you post it here? I also find that setColorspace method is supported since IM version 6.5.7, so I should change the code to reflect that. What is the problem with readImage method? Will it work if you comment only setColorspace?

It's been a while since I did this, but I think you will have problems with the change to loading the image at the start rather than using readImage. The problem is with setResolution - this needs to happen before the image is read. The image is rasterized as soon as it is read, so setting the resolution afterwards can result in a poorer quality image.

The setColorspace() method doesn't exist on my server, as IM is too old (ImageMagick 6.5.4-7):

Error: 	Call to undefined method Imagick::setColorspace() (line 16 of /path/to/public_html/site/modules/FieldtypePDF/PagePDF.php)

When I use readFile(), I get the following error (not the real path, obviously):

- Postscript delegate failed `/path/to/file.pdf': No such file or directory @ pdf.c/ReadPDFImage/611

From what I read this is common if you're using a pre-9.x version of GhostScript (server has 8.70).

I haven't seen any visible quality issues with declaring the image with the Imagick object, but I also haven't been looking too carefully -- mostly glad to get it working at all.

Hi, I've been doing some research and testing. But I don't find a way to get it properly working on older versions of ghostscript. But @evan's solution works, it produces low quality images and it's properties cannot be affected because the pdf is read on the Imagick object creating. The readImage method always throws the mentioned exception. Despite of this it is useful where you cannot update GS or IM (e.g. shared hosting). So I added it to the module as fallback mode. It can be turned on in the module's settings. See DEV branch.

Any chance to update this module for 2.5+? Aka making the dev to the new master? 

Hi, sorry I din't do that yet. I stucked, because I wanted to test it properly first. I wanted to make automated unit tests, but in processwire it isn't (maybe wasn't) so easy, I wanted to use wireshell to help with it, but somehow I moved my activity somewhere else. I can merge the branches, but I would like to have some feedback if it is working correctly or not. Did you try it? I've tried it in PW 2.5 and 2.6 and it looks it's working, but I'm not sure about PW 2.7+. If you can test it a give me feedback I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hi Richard,

I've tried out this module on version 2.6 and it works nicely! 

I've tried installing it in version 3.0 and had to restore the database from backup: I got error messages and couldn't reach the PDF-field anymore. 

The information about compatibility is misleading: on the module page it says compatible with version 3.0, but later on it's stated <3.0.

Too bad I can't used it now, I liked it a lot!

Thanks.

Hi lenoir,

There is a version compatible with 3.0, it is in devns branch, it is separated because i didn't find a way to have one codebase compatible with PW 2.x and 3.x (I can tell you more if you want).

What happend with your pdf files in 3.0? Why did you have to restore the database? Should I fix something?

Cheers,
Richard

• Like 2

Finally I've found out how to support PW 2.x and PW 3.x with one codebase. So here is a new version 1.1.2 compatible with PW 2.5+. I updated the tests as well, turned the script which runs tests against multiple versions of ProcessWire into standalone tool PW-Test.

• Like 4

@ICF Church Hi, I'm trying to solve your issue, but I can't reproduce the error. What version of PHP are you using? During module installation there is a step where the `use` statemenents in source files under FieldtypePDF folder are prefixed with `Processwire\' namespace if PW 3.x detected. Could you please examine what's wrong? Look into this method https://github.com/uiii/ProcessWire-FieldtypePDF/blob/d11ff962d520782fa25215f5ce606886773a5a44/FieldtypePDF.module#L232. Thanks