PrivacyWire - Cookie Management & async external asset loading

joshua

I stumbled upon a thing that might be a bug. I want to embed this podcast player:

<script class="podigee-podcast-player" data-src="https://player.podigee-cdn.net/podcast-player/javascripts/podigee-podcast-player.js" data-configuration="..."></script>

I am using the following code:

<script type="text/plain" data-type="text/javascript" class="podigee-podcast-player" data-ask-consent="1" data-category="external_media" data-src="https://player.podigee-cdn.net/podcast-player/javascripts/podigee-podcast-player.js" data-configuration="..."></script>

The placeholder is appearing just fine, but when the user accepted the cookie, I only get this:

<script data-configuration="..." type="text/javascript" src="https://player.podigee-cdn.net/podcast-player/javascripts/podigee-podcast-player.js" async=""></script>

The class attribute (class="podigee-podcast-player") is getting removed and therefore the player will not load. I guess that this is not the intended behavior?

Cheers,
Flo

• Like 1

@snck had the same problem.

And found out, that podigee-player is DSGVO compliant. At least they say it here.

Bu I usually use a div wrapper for iframe embeds, so the classes do not get mixed up or replaced. But there is no way if you have to use the script tag.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've decided to try this module, but somehow I got errors

•  Skipped field 'cookie_groups' because module 'InputfieldAsmselect' does not exist
     Skipped field 'content_banner_text' because module 'InputfieldCkeditor' does not exist
     Skipped field 'content_banner_details_text' because module 'InputfieldCkeditor' does not exist
     Skipped field 'content_banner_privacy_link' because module 'InputfieldUrl' does not exist
     Skipped field 'content_banner_imprint_link' because module 'InputfieldUrl' does not exist
     Skipped field 'ask_consent_message' because module 'InputfieldCkeditor' does not existin
  •  

in my config I do have "$config->dbLowercaseTables = true;"

Kind regards,
     - Igor

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone explain the changes with the Google consent mode v2? Do we need to change all the Google Tag Manager snippets that we modified for PrivacyWire in the past? Do we have to and should we and can we somehow distinguish between consent for «Statistics» and «Marketing» withiin one GTM?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 11:14 AM, nuel said:

Can anyone explain the changes with the Google consent mode v2? Do we need to change all the Google Tag Manager snippets that we modified for PrivacyWire in the past? Do we have to and should we and can we somehow distinguish between consent for «Statistics» and «Marketing» withiin one GTM?

Same question here 🙂 

As far as I understand the docs https://developers.google.com/tag-platform/security/guides/consent?hl=de&consentmode=advanced it's necessary to set & update the "consent status"

Here's a snippet as google recommends on its website.

<script>
// Define dataLayer and the gtag function.
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}

// Set default consent to 'denied' as a placeholder
// Determine actual values based on your own requirements
gtag('consent', 'default', {
  'ad_storage': 'denied',
  'ad_user_data': 'denied',
  'ad_personalization': 'denied',
  'analytics_storage': 'denied'
});
</script>
<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=TAG_ID

">
</script>
<script>

gtag('js', new Date());
  gtag('config', 'TAG_ID');
</script>

<!-- Create one update function for each consent parameter -->
<script>
  function consentGrantedAdStorage() {
    gtag('consent', 'update', {
      'ad_storage': 'granted'
    });
  }
</script>
<!-- Invoke your consent functions when a user interacts with your banner -->
<body>
  <button onclick="consentGrantedAdStorage">Yes</button>
</body>

I'm thinking about using PrivacyWire for triggering a custom js function: Passing the necessary gtag parameters to google after the user had interacted with the Consent Banner.

@joshua Is it possible to define multiple data-categories at the same time – e.g.:

<script type="text/plain" data-type="text/javascript" data-category="statistics|marketing|external_media">
	// Load GTM
</script>

• Like 1

<script>
      function gtag() {
        dataLayer.push(arguments);
      }

'ad_personalization': 'denied',
        'analytics_storage': 'denied'
      });
    </script>
    <script type="text/plain" data-type="text/javascript" data-category="statistics">

gtag('consent', 'update', {
    'analytics_storage': 'granted'
  });
</script>
 <script type="text/plain" data-type="text/javascript" data-category="statistics">
 // GTM
</script>

I use GTM only for Statistics, this is how it work for me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't dug too deeply into this yet, but is I saw there is supported integration with TextformatterVideoEmbed - I'm wondering if this could apply to either TextformatterOembed / FieldtypeOembed postprocessing as well, or if that requires more fine tuning because of how different providers may offer different embedded content.

Perhaps all of these fall under external-media?

• 4 weeks later...

@joshua  Did you recognize my question: Is it possible to define multiple data-categories at the same time – e.g.:

On 4/10/2024 at 11:50 AM, DV-JF said:
<script type="text/plain" data-type="text/javascript" data-category="statistics|marketing|external_media">
	// Load GTM
</script>

I have to implement Google Consent v2 together with PrivacyWire for the first time. I tried to summarize the most imporant things and make a quick example. Hope that helps. Improvements welcome.

• Basically Google wants you to send the user preferences. This way Google can process at least anonymized data if the user denies permissions (and promises to respect privacy).
  • Luckily PrivacyWire gives us the possibility to define a custom js function in the module configuration, which is executed whenever user preferences change.
  • PrivacyWire stores user preferences in localStorage. From there we can fetch this information when needed. So we have to:

1. Integrate Google Tag Manger without modifying the script tag.

2. Set Consent v2 defaults (by default deny every permission):

<!-- GOOGLE CONSENT V2 -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=GTM-ID-HERE"></script>
<script>
    'analytics_storage': 'denied',
    'ad_personalization': 'denied'
  });

gtag('js', new Date());
  gtag('config', 'GTM-ID-HERE');
</script>
<!-- End GOOGLE CONSENT V2 -->

3. Use a function called by PrivacyWire, when user changes preferences. Fetch user preferences from localStorage and send them to Google:

function updateConsentFromPrivacyWire() {
  console.log('update consent from privacy wire...');
  const privacyWireData = localStorage.getItem('privacywire');
  if (privacyWireData) {
    try {
      const consentData = JSON.parse(privacyWireData);
      const consentPreferences = {
        // Set Google params based on user preferences
        'ad_storage': consentData.cookieGroups.marketing ? 'granted' : 'denied',
        'analytics_storage': consentData.cookieGroups.statistics ? 'granted' : 'denied',
        'ad_user_data': consentData.cookieGroups.marketing ? 'granted' : 'denied',
        'ad_personalization': consentData.cookieGroups.marketing ? 'granted' : 'denied'
      };
      // Update google consent
      gtag('consent', 'update', consentPreferences);
      console.log(consentPreferences);
    } catch (e) {
      console.error('Error parsing PrivacyWire-Data:', e);
    }
  } else {
    console.warn('No PrivacyWire-Data found in localStorage');
  }
}
// Update consent at pageload
document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', updateConsentFromPrivacyWire);

5. This is what the parameters control:

• ad_storage: Controls whether ad-related cookies and identifiers are stored (e.g., for remarketing).
  • analytics_storage: Controls whether analytics-related cookies are stored (e.g., for Google Analytics tracking).
  • ad_user_data: Controls the collection and use of user data for advertising purposes.
  • ad_personalization: Controls the use of data to personalize ads based on user behavior and preferences.

4. Configure the function name (here updateConsentFromPrivacyWire) in PrivacyWire module settings.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @All,

Please, and I've tried really hard to find this but I can't: How can I implement this module with the default ProcessWire cookie? I need Reject All Cookies option.

Hey @joshua  Thanks for this wonderful module!

I think I found some kind of bug, IDK. I am using ProcessWire 3.0.229 and PHP 8.1. Your module Privacy Wire is the latest version: 1.1.6

The Brave browser doesn't want to show the banner at all. I've attached a screenshot.

Deleted cache and cookies and tested in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera. I have no idea where to look for the "problem" in the code.

display.png

On 6/15/2024 at 8:36 AM, Leftfield said:

Hi @All,

Please, and I've tried really hard to find this but I can't: How can I implement this module with the default ProcessWire cookie? I need Reject All Cookies option.

I don't know if it's possible to omit the default wire and wires cookies. But I think you don't need to as they could be declared as strictly necessary first-party cookies.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

@Kholjamate, try to explain to my customer who knows GDPR better than any lawyer, online audits and all AI tools.

In this case, i would deactivate the session cookie completely. Here is an example for a solution, that keep it for logged-in users, but don't set it for guests:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/15270-session-storage-and-lifetime/?do=findComment&comment=136575

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 12:04 PM, Leftfield said:

Hey @joshua  Thanks for this wonderful module!

I think I found some kind of bug, IDK. I am using ProcessWire 3.0.229 and PHP 8.1. Your module Privacy Wire is the latest version: 1.1.6

The Brave browser doesn't want to show the banner at all. I've attached a screenshot.

Deleted cache and cookies and tested in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera. I have no idea where to look for the "problem" in the code.

display.png

Have you tried to deactivate Brave's internal privacy shield? Maybe Brave thinks it's an Ad-Popup.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Yep, that was it. THANKS!!!!!!! Now I need to figure out how to go around it. Thanks once again. 

Brave uses filterlists to detect ads. There are a lot of "privacy" and "wire" keywords. Maybe a workaround would be to change the PrivacyWire templates and use other class names.

4 hours ago, Kholja said:

But in this case I would say it's what the user wants while he is using Brave?

That's a good point, but it is literary intended for blocking ads. That's why I am using it: to check that my popups are working, etc. For the cookies, there is a setting in the browser (and this module has it in its settings) to send "Do not track."

For anyone with the same issue, I used custom classes and fixed an issue. Changed the name of classes which starts with privacywire and the word banner. 

@Kholja thanks again!

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 1