Jump to content
ryan

CMS Critic Powered by ProcessWire (again) + Case Study

Recommended Posts

This week's blog post is written by Jonathan Lahijani where he writes about the works he's done with CMS Critic: 

Quote

I recently had the opportunity to work with Mike Johnston of CMS Critic and Ryan asked if I could share my experience with you this week


Read the blog post at: http://processwire.com/blog/posts/cms-critic-powered-by-processwire-again-case-study/

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jonathan Lahijani

Really great post, thanks. Sounds like you put in quite a bit of work in this upgrade - is it okay to ask the approximate number of hours the project took?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jonathan Lahijani Great post and a wonderful case! Could you tell a bit more about how admin workflow is organized and how admin interface is customized for each role? It seems like there is something going on both in frontend and admin at least for some roles. And the admin theme seems to be modified (at leas there is no PW logo at the top).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ryan and @Jonathan Lahijani

First of all, thanks for the blog post, I really enjoyed it and learnt a few more things to guide my future ProcessWire based development efforts.

Second, a couple of suggestions:

  • An extra "these" should probably be removed: "...making these these dependencies work nicely..."
  • And more importantly: the WORDPRESS VS. PROCESSWIRE chart could be updated with links to the modules in question as well. During our forum support sessions, it will be a very useful chart to point to when dealing with beginners coming with some WordPress background. By including the missing links to the modules the chart can be made more useful in this regard.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2016 at 4:03 PM, Robin S said:

@Jonathan Lahijani

Really great post, thanks. Sounds like you put in quite a bit of work in this upgrade - is it okay to ask the approximate number of hours the project took?

Somewhere between 60-80 hours, which includes the general consulting, coding, communication and other issues that came up.  I didn't track time like I normally do so this is an estimate.

On 9/10/2016 at 0:19 AM, Ivan Gretsky said:

@Jonathan Lahijani Great post and a wonderful case! Could you tell a bit more about how admin workflow is organized and how admin interface is customized for each role? It seems like there is something going on both in frontend and admin at least for some roles. And the admin theme seems to be modified (at leas there is no PW logo at the top).

 

Superusers have full access as usual.  General users, authors and vendors have access to the pages they are creators of (posts, products).  In Ryan's case study from a few years ago, he implemented a hook that prevents users from accessing other user's data in the admin.  That part is key.  Some CSS is also being used to hide what's not necessary for non superusers to see (along with permissions enforcement).  It's easy to load a custom CSS file in the admin based on whatever condition you want it to meet.  For example, the following in /site/templates/admin.php

if($user->hasRole("author")) {
  $config->styles->append($config->urls->templates."author.css");
}

 

On 9/10/2016 at 3:47 AM, szabesz said:

@ryan and @Jonathan Lahijani

First of all, thanks for the blog post, I really enjoyed it and learnt a few more things to guide my future ProcessWire based development efforts.

Second, a couple of suggestions:

  • An extra "these" should probably be removed: "...making these these dependencies work nicely..."
  • And more importantly: the WORDPRESS VS. PROCESSWIRE chart could be updated with links to the modules in question as well. During our forum support sessions, it will be a very useful chart to point to when dealing with beginners coming with some WordPress background. By including the missing links to the modules the chart can be made more useful in this regard.

Thanks for catching that typo.  I also updated the chart to link to the various PW modules.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2016 at 7:41 AM, szabesz said:

@Jonathan Lahijani Thaks for the intel Jonathan! 

OT here, but any chance of releasing you video tutorials soon?

Regarding the video tutorials, what I have completed so far is just a 50-video series of straight-up comparing WP to PW feature-by-feature, so I don't think you'd personally benefit from that since you're already a ProcessWire guru.  I will release them however there's some further editing I need to do as well as making it part of an overall content marketing strategy.  I haven't had time for that yet, but at least the really hard part of recording the videos is done.

In regards to something like a full training series, the idea is still in my head (on paper too), however I don't have any plans yet to go full force on that as I'm focused on other ventures.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jonathan Lahijani said:

so I don't think you'd personally benefit from that since you're already a ProcessWire guru.

I'm far from being a ProcessWire guru (think of me as PW hobbyist who sometimes even develop sites for clients...), but have a general understanding of "WordPress concepts" so I'm really keen on this.

Thank you for the update on this!

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all I would like to say: Great job @Jonathan Lahijani for bringing CMS Critic back to ProcessWire. I first discovered PW through CMS Critic, so I'm thankful, that they awarded 2014 ProcessWire as Best Free PHP CMS.

But I recently wondered, that a so-called "CMS review" site hasn't covered the release of PW3 at all? Is there any particular reason for this or am I just missing something?

Regards, Andreas

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2016 at 10:23 AM, AndZyk said:

First of all I would like to say: Great job @Jonathan Lahijani for bringing CMS Critic back to ProcessWire. I first discovered PW through CMS Critic, so I'm thankful, that they awarded 2014 ProcessWire as Best Free PHP CMS.

But I recently wondered, that a so-called "CMS review" site hasn't covered the release of PW3 at all? Is there any particular reason for this or am I just missing something?

Regards, Andreas

Hi Andreas,

You'd have to ask Mike Johnston (@cmscritic) of CMS Critic that question.

J

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jonathan,

of course, you are right. I just thought as developer of the website you would have some insights. I will contact him directly. ;)

Regards, Andreas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After my initial question via the contact form of the CMSCritic site in October 2016 was ignored, I asked @cmscritic again and will ask here too:

Why doesn't @cmscritic cover ProcessWire 3 at all? Neither the first release of version 3 nor the latest stable version 3.0.61?

For a site that calls itself:

Quote

unbiased, easy to understand reviews of CMS, CRM, hosting, themes, plugins and marketing Platforms to name a few

... I find this really sad. I don't want to bash them, I would like just to know an explanation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24.4.2017 at 7:51 PM, AndZyk said:

Neither the first release of version 3 nor the latest stable version 3.0.61?

I meant no coverage since the release of version 3.

Meanwhile Mike from @cmscritic answered on my question via the contact form with this:

Quote

Feel free to share the news and I'll write it up

I was always under the assumption, that this website contains only articles from selected authors. It seems that I could write him an article, but I think there are more capable members in this forum to write an article. Also is english not my native language. :P

But first, they should fix their register page which currently cannot be found. Maybe @Jonathan Lahijani can fix this?

Regards, Andreas

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 11:18 AM, AndZyk said:

I meant no coverage since the release of version 3.

Meanwhile Mike from @cmscritic answered on my question via the contact form with this:

I was always under the assumption, that this website contains only articles from selected authors. It seems that I could write him an article, but I think there are more capable members in this forum to write an article. Also is english not my native language. :P

But first, they should fix their register page which currently cannot be found. Maybe @Jonathan Lahijani can fix this?

Regards, Andreas

The register page is disabled deliberately. I don't want anyone registering at this time because we were inundated with spam accounts. As for the coverage of PW 3... we do our best to cover what we can but sometimes news articles don't get much traction. I prefer editorial pieces and reviews. Of course, I'm only one man so while I do have an author or two I pay, I can only do so much. I welcome anyone who wants to contribute PW content, however, and will happily link back to your website in return. Just hit me up at mike@cmscritic.com

Thanks

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the new CMS Critic website is back on WordPress again. I am curious to why WP (again) and what prompted the switch away from PW?

Perhaps @cmscritic can comment on this?

Thx
Rudy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got too many sites now that I need to be able to manage them all (my wife's included) from a single dashboard (since most are WP) and I've also got a number of WP clients I look after so I went 100% WP across the board. Nothing to do with PW, which served me wonderfully for a long long time.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad it cannot be released as a one/multiple website(s) commercial and/or opensource/community and/or free profile.
It hasn't been used very long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, cmscritic said:

I've got too many sites now that I need to be able to manage them all (my wife's included) from a single dashboard (since most are WP) and I've also got a number of WP clients I look after so I went 100% WP across the board. Nothing to do with PW, which served me wonderfully for a long long time.

I understand what you mean, I had the opportunity to rewrite an existing application to Processwire, that was going to be alot of work plus the site works fine already, as I know my way around WordPress Development, sometimes some decisions are not technical just business sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jonathan Lahijani how did you go about incorporating the Advertising Package subscriptions? Are they each stored in a repeater field per user? or child pages? or other? & how are payments processed?

thanks for all the information you provide already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cmscritic - do you mind that it's impossible to access you site's footer on the homepage? The live loading of new posts makes it impossible 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 8:37 PM, hellomoto said:

@Jonathan Lahijani how did you go about incorporating the Advertising Package subscriptions? Are they each stored in a repeater field per user? or child pages? or other? & how are payments processed?

thanks for all the information you provide already

The site hasn't been on ProcessWire for some time, but payment processing was all done "offline".

The advertising packages were just pages that had associated prices. I believe I have a page structure called "Advertising Subscriptions" that had a single-select user field, a single-select advertising package field, and a start and end date.  This is the PW equivalent of join table (is that the right word?).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...