adrian

Tracy Debugger

Just now, bernhard said:

loving the logo

The logo is so funny, I like it too. If Ryan does not mind that you use it this way, why change it?

• Like 1

Stoked about the new documentation site! I love it even more with the text size zoomed to 125% ;)

In due course it would be great to add a section about barDumpLive() / bdl() - I've never been clear on when it's okay to use this and when it should be avoided due to the dumped variable getting mixed up. I use it from time to time and when there is a variable mix-up it's usually pretty obvious, in which case I switch to bd() with max depth and max length options included. Although I still worry there might be situations where the mix-up is more subtle and could lead to confusion.

Related to this: what do you think about adding a new shortcut method for "big" bardumps? This could have options in the module config for max depth and max length. Just so there's a quick way to do a bardump where you need greater nesting depth and string length than with the standard bd(). I have added a custom shortcut in my IDE for inserting a bd() with max depth and length options, but it would be cool to have something like a "bdb()" method in Tracy (until the barDumpLive thing is resolved anyway).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin S said:

I love it even more with the text size zoomed to 125%

Taken care of that here - will push with the next update.

In due course it would be great to add a section about barDumpLive() / bdl()

Agreed - it will be in there with details and warnings. I am sure if it will ever be 100% reliable because of the way it works, but from my experience it only ever seems to be an problem when used within hooks.

but it would be cool to have something like a "bdb()"

I see two possibilities here :

• a bdb() with some config settings to determine what the depth and length will be - I think the defaults should probably be 6 and 999 - any thoughts?
  • or a simplified syntax for bd(), eg bd($page, [6, 999]) so you don't have to do bd($page, ['maxDepth' => 6, 'maxLength' => 999]) which is painful

The problem with a fixed dbd() is that in the case of PW objects, anything more than 6 can results in out of memory errors (at least with my dev machine setup), but working with smaller objects/arrays, I often want 6 or 7.

I have decided to go with this for now, which sets the maxDepth to 6. Obviously pre PHP 5.4 you will still need: array(6)

bd($page, [6]);

You still need to make the depth and length settings an array - this is because the second argument in the array can either be the "title" or the options array. It's get too confusing to take it any further away from that default.

You can also do:

bd($page, [6,999]);

or:

bd($page, 'Dump Title', [6,999]);

How does that look to you?

I'll post this to the closed beta version shortly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, adrian said:

You can also do:

bd($page, [6,999]);

or:

Good solution, thanks.

• Like 1

what do you think about adding a new shortcut method for "big" bardumps?

great idea, thx! needed that several times and maxLength=>... was a pain

9 minutes ago, adrian said:

anything more than 6 can results in out of memory errors (at least with my dev machine setup), but working with smaller objects/arrays, I often want 6 or 7.

10 minutes ago, adrian said:

would it be hard to have the shortcut bdb() for bd($page, [6,999]) ?

i think it would totally be fine to have that shortcut with fixed values since we have the other option of defining it manually like you showed above. but i think in 99% of the cases the bdb() would work just well and it is less to write and a lot easier to remember :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bernhard said:

would it be hard to have the shortcut bdb() for bd($page, [6,999]) ?

Ok, I'm on it :)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now