Import old site?

rickblackdog

Hi I'm new to PW so please be nice :)

I've an existing site that I have backed up from previous host.  Trying to move it to new host presented some errors so I decided to start fresh.  I've a fresh install working OK but I'd like to import the old site to the new site.  What's the best process to do this?

Thanks for your help

R

Almost always the answer to that question is: Write an importer script, where you read the backup data and insert them to processwire via the api. There are various topics here in the forum about importing and importers with more detailed description. If you've still questions afterwards feel free to ask them.

If you are talking about moving content from one PW installation to another, you have several options, which are related:

1) Master Adrian's Migrator module.

2) Exporting and importing templates/fields with built-in functionality.

3) Creating a site profile.

4) DB backup + moving file data manually.

But you should really just fix your errors, not run from them :) .

• Like 1

rickblackdog,

I think you will find some folks willing to assist if you can give some more details about the site you importing. @pwired is on the right track — if it's just a small site, then manually moving things over might be pretty quick. If it's a larger site, then setting up a script to assist is probably the way to go. I've imported sites and other systems from a variety of sources (including WP) — it's easier than it might seem.

From your post it sounds to me like you are talking about migrating content from one PW site to another - is that correct? If so, it should simply be a matter of migrating template files and the DB.

If however, you are talking about migrating a WP site to PW, we do have a migration tool: https://github.com/NicoKnoll/MigratorWordpress

• Like 2