Alpha release: UserGroups (page based permissions)

apeisa

About a month ago I announced UserGroups module, which I gave humble beginning, but Nik and Teppo really pushed forward (not sure if there is anything of my original code left anymore...). We are getting closer to initial 1.0 release feature wise, so this is good time to get more feedback from you guys. We have been focusing on finding all the different situations, where user access is defined and finding the right balance of features and simplicity. I am pretty sure there must be some cases where this module fails, so please do test all kind of combinations you can imagine and hunt some bugs!

Grab the module from here and install it on big, popular and complex live site and go wild (or actually.. maybe not):

https://github.com/apeisa/UserGroups/

Module is based on groups instead of roles. Idea here is that groups are something that your client can manage, but roles & permissions are not. There is no documentation or tutorial yet, but just install it - I think you will figure it soon (just create few groups, look for access tab on pages and try).

Also check out this companion module that Teppo has build. It allows access management right from page tree: https://github.com/Aldone/PageListPermissions/
  • Like 17

Citizens! The first bug has been destroyed. Those nasty characters (sometimes invisible, other times %32c - or something) are now removed and the hyperlink is functioning fine. Comrads renobird and adrian, you have been awarded an award.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is... kind of. It is one of the things that we haven't solved fully yet. You need to deny access on template level to make your file folders protected with the foldername prefix. After that it goes to check your viewing rights for the page (and therefore to the file).

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody,

I am new here (coming from Durpal and currently testing process Wire vs MODX). I would like to test  processwire for one of my project. This project requieres the ability to restric page views on per user group basis. Which is the functionnality your module provides.

Before diging in further I would like to know what is the status of this module : There are not much activity since one year on the forum on this subject, It is currently not referenced in the module directory of PW and lives only on Github. Is there a reason for it not been yet on the module directory ? Is the module ready for production use ? 

Thanks a lot for the module you created. I realy hope It is stable enough so that I can use it.

Regards

Hello to you too, @antpre, and welcome to the forum!

Before diging in further I would like to know what is the status of this module : There are not much activity since one year on the forum on this subject, It is currently not referenced in the module directory of PW and lives only on Github. Is there a reason for it not been yet on the module directory ? Is the module ready for production use ?

Probably the one and only reason why the module isn't in the modules directory is that @apeisa felt it was too incomplete at the time of announcement. @apeisa, any comments on this? Shouldn't we add it by now? :)

I've got two relatively minor updates pending, will probably merge those to the master branch of the module soon. Apart from that, the module is in use on at least a couple of sites already that I know of, and so far it's working just fine. There are still a bunch of things to take care and improve, but it's already very much usable.

Not having much activity lately means, in this case, two things: first of all there's nothing major missing so no need to rush into action, and second of all everyone involved is quite busy with other stuff. If you have time to give this module a test, let us know how it works for you; we're still around and the module is still maintained :)

• Like 1

Hy,

Thanks a lot for your feed back and your readyness to make it into the official PW repository It will make easier for newcomers like me to find it. It difinitively adds interesting functionalities to PW.

Do you plan to add both modules (user groups and pagelistpermissions) ?

Thanks again

Do you plan to add both modules (user groups and pagelistpermissions) ?

I should probably add Page List Permissions after Antti adds User Groups. They're separate modules, after all, and User Groups doesn't really require Page List Permissions -- it has it's own UI for managing permissions via Page Edit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

I have been doing a bit of testing on user groups and pagelistepermissions and (so far) I had no problem.
Works as intended. Smoth and simple yet powerfull.

Thanks to both of you for your work.

I will dig into it further as i am trying to do my first project with PW which is a sort of elearning site. It will rely heavily on your modules.

If I had a wish list concerning user groups it would be related to UI and usability. Actually it is more of a dream cause I imagine it would require lots of work. the problem is that It's a bit difficult to keep a clear picture of what pages are in each groups and which users are associated with each group. So you could have the main PW page tree on the left where all your ressources are listed (documents and users) and a user group pane on the right side (ie side by side with the PW pages tree) with the user groups listed in a hierarchal tree. On that dedicated tree view each group would display their users and documents. In that manner you could see all your groups and their associated contents in one single screen. And then you would be able to drag and drop from the left (main pages tree of PW) to the right (the user groups dedicated tree view) to add users or ressources to groups... 

I have seen and tested this sort of UI in Modx Revo manager (2.3). It becomes a breeze to play with user groups.

Ok I may be dreaming... I don't even know if it's curently possible to handle this sort of functionnality in PW admin UI.

Bye