Flexibility in page design

uliverse

What I think is most promising is using CKeditor widgets for image positioning, galleries, videos, text-columns, content highlights etc... and then just regular pages and repeaters for everything else (like featured products, carousels etc). Probably the ultimate solution would be something that ties hanna codes with CKeditor widgets.

For me using repeaters and field dependencies here feel little hackish - both UI and backend wise.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another option I think, might be to build a module that integrates Sir Trevor and enhances it with ProcessWire-specific blocks :)

For use cases I'm thinking of right now, I think images, text and videos would be enough for now. If you have a module that allows you to tie these to fields in a specific template, then when you create a new page replace the normal editor with Sir Trevor, you could have it use the native fields and store the parsed content in a hidden body field.

So your images go in a multiple images field, your video URLs in a custom field (repeaters don't scale infinitely) and text some other way and the whole thing is parsed into a body field ready to render.

• Like 1

For use cases I'm thinking of right now, I think images, text and videos would be enough for now. If you have a module that allows you to tie these to fields in a specific template, then when you create a new page replace the normal editor with Sir Trevor, you could have it use the native fields and store the parsed content in a hidden body field.

So your images go in a multiple images field, your video URLs in a custom field (repeaters don't scale infinitely) and text some other way and the whole thing is parsed into a body field ready to render.

Awesome concept, all we need is a first implementation now :-)

The problem was the more I thought about it from a technical point of view trying to get everything as a single page, the more headaches it gave me. Plus I'd likely prefer having the text box be a minimal CKEditor as well :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very insightful discussion and one that I've thought of deeply as well.

One other approach that's easy and built directly into CKEditor is to simply use the Content Templates plugin.  The plugin already comes with ProcessWire's CKEditor, so simply enable it by editing your CKEditor field and allowing the option in the "CKEditor Toolbar" field.

I put some screenshots indicating exactly what to do below.  I'm exploring this approach right now so I don't have much insight yet.

https://goo.gl/kbtDTG

https://goo.gl/a4JBAH

• Like 1

This could come in handy, thanks. My only concern is the client's behaviour - they are rarely able to perform such a "complex" operation. For me as a dev perhaps it is easier to copy-paste and edit the source.

• Like 1

What I think is most promising is using CKeditor widgets for image positioning, galleries, videos, text-columns, content highlights etc... and then just regular pages and repeaters for everything else (like featured products, carousels etc). Probably the ultimate solution would be something that ties hanna codes with CKeditor widgets.

For me using repeaters and field dependencies here feel little hackish - both UI and backend wise.

Looking into this further... CKEditor widgets does seem like a superior approach... much better than Content Templates (which I mentioned in my last reponse) since with Widgets, the HTML structure is locked and easy to reposition.  Very "page builder" like interactivity.

There's some activity with Drupal and CKeditor Widgets that looks nice:

http://albatrossdigital.com/node/41

CKEditor also has demo:

http://ckeditor.com/demo#widgets

A combination of CKEditor Widgets + ProcessWire tie-ins would be pretty slick.

• Like 1