ProcessWire on the web

apeisa

German is more straight and precise different from english. Some german text on neuwaerts from felix made me understand some things more clear. One good example of that is how felix uses the word "Strukturelement" to explain pages in processwire.

• Like 2

As someone who spent years recording translations for corporate and TV productions I can say unequivocally that German is a beautiful, precise joy of a language.

But WHY oh WHY is it so bleedin long!!!!!

When translated properly (and we used the best translators around for spoken languages) it was regularly 30% or more longer than the English version. And to make things worse, because the subject and object can end up the other way around, if we had a very fast cut video, we could be saying the wrong thing in the wrong place, as it were.

Not to mention that in German you at the end of the sentence the verb put! Why? Is it to build up tension or something???

The solution, if we had no elbow room, was to use shorter sentences, and simplify the script, though often at the expense of any poetry, sadly. 

Thankfully, we also had wonderful voice overs like the gentlemanly Wolf Kahler (a regular on the voice circuit) who with his glorious rolling R can turn even the most castrated German translation into gold!

Wolf-Kahler.jpg

• Like 2

Felix, it'd be great to find a way to get your articles in English versions too, perhaps published on your own site or here. I think there's a big audience that could benefit that might otherwise miss it due to not knowing German (and the imperfect Google translations). Though the same could be said for translating to any other language too, but I perceive ability to read English is a common element among most of our users. Though it does seem like most of our audience reads German too... I think I may be one of the few here that doesn't. :)

Of course i will :)

I might even translate the first article somewhen in the near future. Even if there are a large number of people who understand german here in the forums this might not be the case with the majority of people that are just using processwire without telling us about it. Or even worse (as you've mentioned): People who could be convinced using pw by these articles but don't understand them. We actually chose to do the blog in german because we didn't want to introduce barriers for our developers/writers to just write down stuff. It's much easier to write something in your mother tongue and maybe translate it later. We do all speak english and read english sources every day but writing professional articles is sometimes even hard to do in your own language. :)

As someone who spent years recording translations for corporate and TV productions I can say unequivocally that German is a beautiful, precise joy of a language.

But WHY oh WHY is it so bleedin long!!!!!

When translated properly (and we used the best translators around for spoken languages) it was regularly 30% or more longer than the English version. And to make things worse, because the subject and object can end up the other way around, if we had a very fast cut video, we could be saying the wrong thing in the wrong place, as it were.

Not to mention that in German you at the end of the sentence the verb put! Why? Is it to build up tension or something???

The solution, if we had no elbow room, was to use shorter sentences, and simplify the script, though often at the expense of any poetry, sadly. 

Wow: I believe that's really a hard job to do. As most germans only watch dubbed movies: Even if you've got the best actors a bad dub can ruin the whole movie. It happened quite often to me that most of the jokes and puns were lost if I watched a movie in german after seeing it in english before.

BTW: My favorite language for breaking things in web development is finnish. Not only that it looks funny (sorry teppo :)) but it's a pretty good test if your layout can handle lengthy words and the CMS a lot of "umlauts" :)

PW ist so verdammt gut,  ^_^

Das ist verdammt noch mal wahr, alter! (That's damn true, dude!)

• Like 1

A fantastic read, thanks Felix. I'ts good to see more developers with experience at enterprise level switching to PW. Provides us with better arguments when talking with clients. Funny remark about the English/German discussion: you use quite a lot english words (Anglizismen) where you need to be very precise ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo Christophe!

I am beginning to wonder whether I should write an article not so much about Processwire, but rather why professional sites should not be made using Wordpress.

I have nothing against Wordpress - it is an extremely powerful and well supported blogging platform and it is a really great tool for the hobbiest or small company that wants to create their own website without using a developer - indeed, I use it for a couple of my own blogs (though more recent ones have been built with PW)

But the other day, while researching competition for a client, I came across a professional website made by an "award winning developer," built on Wordpress. I will be nice and not post the site here.

It was a perfectly acceptable website, except that it used a wordpress installation and a ton and a half of wordpress plugins. The list of style sheets and script that the template was resourcing was huge and there were three different versions of JQuery being accessed,

The actual site was very simple, but some of the layout was a bit cock-eyed because the client had been editing his own site with the TInyMCE editor and messed up some of the images.

The client's web site requirement had been shoe-horned into Wordpress, whether that was appropriate or not, and for me that is just plain wrong.

When I compose music for someone's advert, I don't go through my files trying to find an old piece of music that more or less fits the clients brand, I start from scratch and write something that fits their brand, their name and their campaign properly. In the industry I come from, that is what is expected of me.

To stretch an analogy to breaking point, Processwire is a piano that you can use to write any song you like.

Wordpress is a pianola that can only play the tune that is punched out on the scroll.

(And just in case you don't know what a Pianola is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_piano)

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure which bit ticked me off more:

1. bad to extend with modules and functionalities
2. It is also not very object oriented 
3. It does not have an ORM but offers a way to do query for custom fields/content blocks using a jQuery like syntax

1. Really...seriously?
2. All of PW is classes [OOP]. What does this mean ->
3. Please...

And why would we want this?

If ProcessWire is rewritten with one of the popular frameworks, it would be really great