HannaCodeDialog

Robin S

I have had this module sitting in a 95% complete state for a while now and have finally made the push to get it out there. Thanks to @teppo for his Hanna Code Helper module which I referred to and borrowed from during development.

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/hanna-code-dialog/
https://github.com/Toutouwai/HannaCodeDialog

HannaCodeDialog

Provides a number of enhancements for working with Hanna Code tags in CKEditor. The main enhancement is that Hanna tags in a CKEditor field may be double-clicked to edit their attributes using core ProcessWire inputfields in a modal dialog.

Requires the Hanna Code module and >= ProcessWire v3.0.0.

Installation

Install the HannaCodeDialog module using any of the normal methods.

For any CKEditor field where you want the "Insert Hanna tag" dropdown menu to appear in the CKEditor toolbar, visit the field settings and add "HannaDropdown" to the "CKEditor Toolbar" settings field.

Module configuration

Visit the module configuration screen to set any of the following:

• Exclude prefix: Hanna tags named with this prefix will not appear in the CKEditor toolbar dropdown menu for Hanna tag insertion.
  • Exclude Hanna tags: Hanna tags selected here will not appear in the CKEditor toolbar dropdown menu for Hanna tag insertion.
  • Background colour of tag widgets: you can customise the background colour used for Hanna tags in CKEditor if you like.
  • Dialog width: in pixels
  • Dialog height: in pixels

Features

Insert tag from toolbar dropdown menu

Place the cursor in the CKEditor window where you want to insert your Hanna tag, then select the tag from the "Insert Hanna tag" dropdown.

'Insert Hanna tag' dropdown

Advanced: if you want to control which tags appear in the dropdown on particular pages or templates you can hook HannaCodeDialog::getDropdownTags. See the forum support thread for examples .

Edit tag attributes in modal dialog

Insert a tag using the dropdown or double-click an existing tag in the CKEditor window to edit the tag attributes in a modal dialog.

Modal dialog

Tags are widgets

Hanna tags that have been inserted in a CKEditor window are "widgets" - they have a background colour for easy identification, are protected from accidental editing, and can be moved within the text by drag-and-drop.

Widget

Options for tag attributes may be defined

You can define options for a tag attribute so that editors must choose an option rather than type text. This is useful for when only certain strings are valid for an attribute and also has the benefit of avoiding typos.

Add a new attribute for the Hanna tag, named the same as the existing attribute you want to add options for, followed by "__options". The options themselves are defined as a string, using a pipe character as a delimiter between options. Example for an existing attribute named "vegetables":

vegetables__options=Spinach|Pumpkin|Celery|Tomato|Brussels Sprout|Potato

You can define a default for an attribute as normal. Use a pipe delimiter if defining multiple options as the default, for example:

vegetables=Tomato|Potato

Dynamic options

Besides defining static options as above, you can use one Hanna tag to dynamically generate options for another. For instance, you could create a Hanna tag that generates options based on images that have been uploaded to the page, or the titles of children of the page.

Your Hanna tag that generates the options should echo a string of options delimited by pipe characters (i.e. the same format as a static options string).

You will probably want to name the Hanna tag that generates the options so that it starts with an underscore (or whatever prefix you have configured as the "exclude" prefix in the module config), to avoid it appearing as an insertable tag in the HannaCodeDialog dropdown menu.

Example for an existing attribute named "image":

image__options=[[_images_on_page]]

And the code for the _images_on_page tag:

<?php
$image_names = array();
$image_fields = $page->fields->find('type=FieldtypeImage')->explode('name');
foreach($image_fields as $image_field) {
    $image_names = array_unique( array_merge($image_names, $page->$image_field->explode('name') ) );
}
echo implode('|', $image_names);

Choice of inputfield for attribute

You can choose the inputfield that is used for an attribute in the dialog.

For text attributes the supported inputfields are text (this is the default inputfield for text attributes so it isn't necessary to specify it if you want it) and textarea. Note: any manual line breaks inside a textarea are removed because these will break the CKEditor tag widget.

Inputfields that support the selection of a single option are select (this is the default inputfield for attributes with options so it isn't necessary to specify it if you want it) and radios.

Inputfields that support the selection of multiple options are selectmultiple, asmselect and checkboxes.

You can also specify a checkbox inputfield - this is not for attributes with defined options but will limit an attribute to an integer value of 1 or 0.

The names of the inputfield types are case-insensitive.

Example for an existing attribute named "vegetables":

vegetables__type=asmselect

Descriptions and notes for inputfields

You can add a description or notes to an attribute and these will be displayed in the dialog.

Example for an existing attribute named "vegetables":

vegetables__description=Please select vegetables for your soup.
vegetables__notes=Pumpkin and celery is a delicious combination.

Notes

When creating or editing a Hanna tag you can view a basic cheatsheet outlining the HannaCodeDialog features relating to attributes below the "Attributes" config inputfield.

Advanced

Define or manipulate options in a hook

You can hook HannaCodeDialog::prepareOptions to define or manipulate options for a Hanna tag attribute. Your Hanna tag must include a someattribute__options attribute in order for the hook to fire. The prepareOptions method receives the following arguments that can be used in your hook:

• options_string Any existing string of options you have set for the attribute
  • attribute_name The name of the attribute the options are for
  • tag_name The name of the Hanna tag
  • page The page being edited

If you hook after HannaCodeDialog::prepareOptions then your hook should set $event->return to an array of option values, or an associative array in the form of $value => $label.

Build entire dialog form in a hook

You can hook after HannaCodeDialog::buildForm to add inputfields to the dialog form. You can define options for the inputfields when you add them. Using a hook like this can be useful if you prefer to configure inputfield type/options/descriptions/notes in your IDE rather than as extra attributes in the Hanna tag settings. It's also useful if you want to use inputfield settings such as showIf.

When you add the inputfields you must set both the name and the id of the inputfield to match the attribute name.

You only need to set an inputfield value in the hook if you want to force the value - otherwise the current values from the tag are automatically applied.

To use this hook you only have to define the essential attributes (the "fields" for the tag) in the Hanna Code settings and then all the other inputfield settings can be set in the hook.

Example buildForm() hook

The Hanna Code attributes defined for tag "meal" (a default value is defined for "vegetables"):

vegetables=Carrot
meat
cooking_style
comments

The hook code in /site/ready.php:

$wire->addHookAfter('HannaCodeDialog::buildForm', function(HookEvent $event) {

// The Hanna tag that is being opened in the dialog
    $tag_name = $event->arguments(0);

// Other arguments if you need them
    /* @var Page $edited_page */
    $edited_page = $event->arguments(1); // The page open in Page Edit
    $current_attributes = $event->arguments(2); // The current attribute values
    $default_attributes = $event->arguments(3); // The default attribute values

// The form rendered in the dialog
    /* @var InputfieldForm $form */
    $form = $event->return;

if($tag_name === 'meal') {

$modules = $event->wire('modules');

/* @var InputfieldCheckboxes $f */
        $f = $modules->InputfieldCheckboxes;
        $f->name = 'vegetables'; // Set name to match attribute
        $f->id = 'vegetables'; // Set id to match attribute
        $f->label = 'Vegetables';
        $f->description = 'Please select some vegetables.';
        $f->notes = "If you don't eat your vegetables you can't have any pudding.";
        $f->addOptions(['Carrot', 'Cabbage', 'Celery'], false);
        $form->add($f);

/* @var InputfieldRadios $f */
        $f = $modules->InputfieldRadios;
        $f->name = 'meat';
        $f->id = 'meat';
        $f->label = 'Meat';
        $f->addOptions(['Pork', 'Beef', 'Chicken', 'Lamb'], false);
        $form->add($f);

/* @var InputfieldSelect $f */
        $f = $modules->InputfieldSelect;
        $f->name = 'cooking_style';
        $f->id = 'cooking_style';
        $f->label = 'How would you like it cooked?';
        $f->addOptions(['Fried', 'Boiled', 'Baked'], false);
        $form->add($f);

/* @var InputfieldText $f */
        $f = $modules->InputfieldText;
        $f->name = 'comments';
        $f->id = 'comments';
        $f->label = 'Comments for the chef';
        $f->showIf = 'cooking_style=Fried';
        $form->add($f);

}

});

Troubleshooting

HannaCodeDialog includes and automatically loads the third-party CKEditor plugins Line Utilities and Widget. If you have added these plugins to your CKEditor field already for some purpose and experience problems with HannaCodeDialog try deactivating those plugins from the CKEditor field settings.

• Like 24

14 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

What do you think about a whitelist option (preferably overridden on a template basis)?

In v0.0.2 I have added a hookable method that supplies the array of tag names for the dropdown menu. You can use an 'after' hook to control what appears in the dropdown. A couple of examples...

Define the tags for a given template:

$this->addHookAfter('HannaCodeDialog::getDropdownTags', function($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments('page');
    // Show only these tags on pages using the 'basic_page' template
    if($page->template == 'basic_page') {
        $event->return = ['some_tag', 'another_tag'];
    }
});

Remove certain tags for a given template:

$this->addHookAfter('HannaCodeDialog::getDropdownTags', function($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments('page');
    $tags = $event->return;
    // Remove these tags on pages using the 'basic_page' template
    if($page->template == 'basic_page') {
        $filtered_tags = array_filter($tags, function($tag) {
            return !in_array($tag, ['some_tag', 'another_tag']);
        });
        $event->return = array_values($filtered_tags);
    }
});

• Like 4

it's working well so far... the only error i encountered was because the hanna code module config may not even be populated if you install hanna code and use the defaults, and never actually save the module, so one option would be to also check if the index for that module config is set, (around like 150 of the module)...

• Like 1

Thanks for the report @Macrura, fixed with isset() now (no version change).

It bugs me a bit that PW doesn't save default values to the module config automatically in the module installation routine. Seems to me that is the whole point of defining a default - so some config value is present if nothing has been set manually.

it's a really amazing module, and will be indispensable for any site using hanna codes, i can already see this solving major problems with users entering incorrect stuff into their hanna codes. the options and description stuff is also amazing work!

• Like 6

Thank you, @Robin S, for this nice module. But I'm not sure I can use it for my special case.

To let my editor user embed a video from a internal page into a textarea (CKE), he would insert a HannaCode like this:

[[video source='LINK']]

Here the editor has to doubleclick the string LINK to select it, and click the "Link" Button of the CKE. The modal window "Insert Link" opens, and the user just needs to click "Select Page" to choose the page containing the wanted video in a field of type File. The HannaCode "video" itself would wrap the file data with the necessary code provided by the videoplayer script in use. This all works fine - even if I admit it's not very elegant.

After installing the HannaCodeDialog module, the string LINK appeares in the input field "source" of the dialog, of course. But there it's not possible to evoke the Insert Link action of the CKE. (And if there exist already some other calls of this HannaCode in the CKE-textarea, they also would become the functinoality of the module, and those LINKs were not editable anymore, too.)

So I ended in uninstalling the module. May be this could be solved by using some dynamic options - I didn't dive into these yet.

And of course, very likely my way to use HannaCode at all is a bit stupid, anyway...

@ottogal, you are right - this module will not cover your way of using HannaCode.

But if you only needed to select from videos uploaded to the current page instead of letting the editor choose another page (or alternatively from one page that contains all videos), you could adapt the approach I show in the first post for creating select options from images on the page.

17 minutes ago, ottogal said:

But indeed each video has to be fetched from it's own page (child of one page "video pool")

If you have a "one video per page" setup then again you could dynamically generate options using another Hanna tag: get all children of "video pool" that have a video uploaded to them.

If people come up with any nifty usages of HannaCodeDialog it would be cool to get a bit of a library going in this thread.

Here's one to get the ball rolling.

Select FormBuilder form

For the foolproof selecting of a FormBuilder form to embed in a CKEditor field.

Import both of the export strings to use this. The code is shown here just for reference.

_formbuilder_forms

Export string (import this into Hanna Code):

!HannaCode:_formbuilder_forms:eyJuYW1lIjoiX2Zvcm1idWlsZGVyX2Zvcm1zIiwidHlwZSI6IjIiLCJjb2RlIjoiPD9waHBcbmVjaG8gaW1wbG9kZSgnfCcsIGl0ZXJhdG9yX3RvX2FycmF5KCRmb3Jtcy0+Z2V0SXRlcmF0b3IoKSkpOyJ9/!HannaCode

Code (just for reference):

<?php
echo implode('|', iterator_to_array($forms->getIterator()));

select_form

Export string (import this into Hanna Code):

!HannaCode:select_form:eyJuYW1lIjoic2VsZWN0X2Zvcm0iLCJ0eXBlIjoiMiIsImNvZGUiOiJcLypoY19hdHRyXG5mb3JtPVwiXCJcbmZvcm1fX29wdGlvbnM9XCJbW19mb3JtYnVpbGRlcl9mb3Jtc11dXCJcbmhjX2F0dHIqXC9cbjw/cGhwXG5pZigkZm9ybSkgZWNobyBcIjxwPmZvcm0tYnVpbGRlclwvJGZvcm08XC9wPlwiOyJ9/!HannaCode

Code (just for reference):

<?php
if($form) echo "<p>form-builder/$form</p>";

• Like 4

This module is just what I was looking for!

I'm using it to create links to a file download page, instead of to the file itself, with the 'dynamic options' method.

However, although it works perfectly, I'm getting a strange error in the Hanna dialogue modal window (see screenshot):

processwire_HannaCodeDialogue_error.png.4c1d8c79cfa35f04998895544cb16935.png

I have tried deleting the file compiler cache, but it did not resolve the issue.

Set-up Info:

• Hanna Code: ver. 0.2.0
  • HannaCode Dialogue: ver. 0.0.3
  • ProcessWire: ver. 3.0.58
  • PHP: ver.  5.6.21

• Like 3

Hi,

after installing this plugin I get this error:

Notice: A non well formed numeric value encountered in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/processwire/wire/core/Database.php on line 118

Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-10 um 12.45.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-10 um 12.45.46.png

Set-up Info:

• Hanna Code: ver. 0.2.0
  • HannaCode Dialogue: ver. 0.0.4
  • ProcessWire: ver. 3.0.59
  • PHP: ver.  7.0.0

Need some help

i installed hanna code-> created one short code

installed hanna code dialog-> but cant see any drop down dialog in page editor 

----------------------------------

use latest dev processwire

cant find any options for ckeditor, cant find it at all among modules,  read installation guide for hanna code dialog but it does not make any sense as no idea what to configure

cant set dialog working... installed the module

but it doesnt show up anywhere,

also no ckeditor in modules to edit...? but when i open body field i see the ckeditor toolbar(as i think)

--------------

latest dev, hanna code installed->one shortcode defined

12 hours ago, Andreas Augustin said:

after installing this plugin I get this error:

Notice: A non well formed numeric value encountered in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/processwire/wire/core/Database.php on line 118

Thanks for the report. Are you running PHP 7.1? I think that's the version that started enforcing stricter numeric values and throwing errors like this.

I tested in PHP7.1 and I can't reproduce this issue. Also, I can't see how this error could be connected to HannaCodeDialog. From what I've read the "non well formed numeric value" error occurs when some arithmetic or other operation that expects an integer receives a string instead. And line 118 of Database.php is:

$timerTotalSinceStart = Debug::timer() - $timerFirstStartTime;

So probably Debug::timer() or $timerFirstStartTime is not an integer, but this is core code that relates to the debug mode tools and HannaCodeDialog has nothing to do with that.

Do you see the error as soon as you install HannaCodeDialog? Do you see it if you have no Hanna codes defined when the module is installed (I'm wondering if the problem is with one of your Hanna codes rather than the module itself)? If you uninstall HannaCodeDialog does the error go away?

12 hours ago, Andreas Augustin said:

Can I activate the Toolbar in CKEditor without choosing the Hanna Code Textformater and use the $hanna->render() API?

I will support this in the next version. The intention was to avoid needlessly attaching the plugins to every instance of CKEditor if the textformatter wasn't applied to that field, but I guess to support $hanna->render() there's no way to know if a CKEditor field needs the plugins or not.

1 hour ago, danielsl said:

cant set dialog working... installed the module

but it doesnt show up anywhere,

also no ckeditor in modules to edit...? but when i open body field i see the ckeditor toolbar(as i think)

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what's going wrong for you here. Make sure you meet the prerequisites and have completed the installation process:

• TextformatterHannaCode must be installed.
  • TextformatterHannaCode must be applied as a textformatter to your CKEditor field.
  • You must have at least one Hanna code created.
  • Install HannaCodeDialog module.
  • Edit the settings for your CKEditor field and in "Input > CKEditor Settings > CKEditor Toolbar" add "HannaDropdown" (to be precise, with a comma space separating it from the other items there)
  • Like 1

I haven't tried this module so this request may be out of sync but how about adding items that wouldn't require Hanna code module? What I have in mind is having eg a

$config->hannaCodeDialogItems = array( item1 => function () { ... }, ... )

code somewhere in template files so one could easily insert custom items to ckeditor? Perhaps $config could be replaced with $page.