benbyf

Work in progress modules Subscribers / WireMailChimp

Thought I'd show some work in progress modules.

Subscribers https://github.com/benbyford/Subscribers

• has functions for logging in new users,
  • added with new subscriber role
  • bulk export the subscriber users to comma delineated
  • SubscriberList (submodule)
    • module adds an admin page to view your subscribers and page through them, or export

WireMailChimp https://github.com/benbyford/WireMailChimp

(though I need to change the name on github)

Implements https://github.com/drewm/mailchimp-api

• adds any user save to a mailchimp list
  • settings for API and List id
  • only adds users that have a checked email_subscribe field to true

• Like 13

hi ben,

would you mind adding some screenshots or even better screencasts so that all of us get an idea what your module does immediately?

tools for screencasts i recommend are licecap (gifs) or www.screencast-o-matic.com

thank you

I've been able to start adding some text to the Readme's for these two now. Please get involved if you're interested in helping with these two specific modules as im still relatively new at it.

• Like 1

Hi, Ben,

I just looked ino the WireMailChimp module: It does require the Subscribers module, doesn´t it?

For my needs I altered the part whre this module is loaded and the role "subscriber" is checked. (I just run a check against my own subscriptions field)

I will then allways get the same error message, no matter if subscribing or unsubscribing:
400: [EMAILADRESS] is already a list member. Use PUT to insert or update list members.

Did you already got it to work properly?

• Like 1

@Mikel nice implementation, no it doesn't need the subscriber module, just change the role to something that is present in your system - I chose subscriber as my role.

I added a checkbox to the user template and check against it when trigging the module. Soooo when the checkbox is false it sends their email to mailchimp and I change to true. now if it trys to check again the checkbox field will be true and it wont send to mailchimp.

im looking to revamp the Subscribers module soon and create a site to show its implememtation - I was thinking a simple job listing CV site unless someone could think of anything better?

• Like 2

Hi. I'm trying to install the WireMailChimp module, but I'm getting an error when I install:

"parse error (line 73 of /Users/paul/Sites/pw-projects/site/modules/WireMailChimp/WireMailChimp.module)"

I'm using PW 2.7.2. Any ideas why?

Hi @strandoo have you added a mailchimp List ID in the module settings? looks like the line erroring is trying to send to a list (you have to add a mailchimp for the users to be subscribed to)

Hi @benbyf. Well, I first got the error when I tried to install the module, so I never got far enough to enter a List ID (or any other settings). I then commented out lines 73-76 (and 82-85 when I got the same error) and was able to install the module and insert API and List ID. But when I uncommented the lines, I get the same error.

Ok, I got it. It turns out it's because this particular site is still using php v5.3.x which doesn't like the "Array Initialization Construct: []" I've worked around it by using "array(" instead:

$result = $MailChimp->post("lists/$list_id/members", 
                        array(
                        'email_address' => $page->email,
                        'status'        => 'subscribed',
                    ));

Cheers,
Paul

• Like 1

Moved to Module/Plugin Development  forum since these are work-in-progress and do not yet have support forums.

Does this still work? I've installed it, but when I create new accounts with the correct role it doesn't add to to the mail list.

@alexmercenary should do. I've been creating the users on the frontend, so not sure but if your creating users in the admin it may not work.

Also which module are you referring to specifically?

@benbyf I'm using WireMailChimp and using it in conjunction with Login/Register to create accounts on the front end.

3 minutes ago, alexmercenary said:

@benbyf I'm using WireMailChimp and using it in conjunction with Login/Register to create accounts on the front end.

Cool. I think it only signs up users with role "subscriber" set, or a different role setup in my subscriber module (not required). So you can change this in the code, or add the role when they register.

They also must have a vaild email, and mailchimp API keys and list name setup in the module config

Hmm yeah I did that. I changed it in the module to login-register and set the api key and list id but it doesn't seem to add the users. I've also added a checkbox called email_subscribe. Strange.