Sephiroth

Writing a tutorial on Module Development in Processwire

Hi guys so currently am writing a detailed tutorial about creating Modules, I have never created a module because i don't know all the classes and interfaces required, so this is like a detailed research for me, this is how i learn things by writing articles. However I might make some mistakes so i decided to make it on Google Docs to get comments and feedback, before posting on my website and Processwire tutorial site, this is going to be one heck of a detailed tutorial.

Here is the link I will be updating it 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VA_WK-5qbnq3Ux_EOW3p92IcjbAcVZJ0aewIiFxmv2Q/edit#

However I wanted to get a clear picture of the following

Process Class and ConfigurableModule i noticed some modules require it and some don't 

My interpretation is that Modules with admin setting pages uses ConfigurableModule and Process are modules who require access to $this->pages and that sort Thanks all 

• Like 13

Hi Sephiroth,

I'm not a professional module developer, but a person from your target group :) So my suggestions are from the "beginner's point of view", and are as follow:

• You probably want to clean it up by fixing typos, missing spaces, extra spaces and similar errors.
  • When referring to code, you might want to copy stuff instead of typing, so ProcessPageImageEditSelect  vs. ProcessPageEditImageSelect is spelled right, out of the box.

You might also want to list the following resources:

What really bugs me is the fact that Ryan has already documented so much in the blog, but it is really hard to find what one is looking for. It often occurs to me that I know I've read something in the blog, I just do know know were... We have tons of useful info buried in the blog.

Nice incentive anyway, keep it up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, szabesz said:

Hi Sephiroth,

I'm not a professional module developer, but a person from you target group :) So my suggestions are from the "beginner's point of view", and are as follow:

• You probably want to clean it up by fixing typos, missing spaces, extra spaces and similar errors.
  • When referring to code, you might want to copy stuff instead of typing, so ProcessPageImageEditSelect  vs. ProcessPageEditImageSelect is spelled right, out of the box.

You might also want to list the following resources:

What really bugs me is the fact that Ryan has already documented so much in the blog, but it is really hard to find what one is looking for. It often occurs to me that I know I've read something in the blog, I just do know know were... We have tons of useful info buried in the blog.

Nice incentive anyway, keep it up!

Interesting, Thanks for the comment, yeah it seems most of the content are not consolidated, it's the same issue i've been facing when trying to create a Module, I noticed some information were scattered in different places, so this will be go-to guide, thanks for the corrections. I will update the name i was typing it out and along the line i must have missed the proper name.

Will include those resources. 

• Like 1

I forgot to attach a file from the old (no longer online) ProcessWire Wiki, just in case you do not have a copy of it. This is somewhat outdated, but you might still find useful info in it. See: "Module Creation - Wiki.html.zip" 

Module Creation - Wiki.html.zip

• Like 1

Looking very good! Can't wait to get see the rest! I like that it includes Vuejs as a bonus, I've been meaning to learn some, and fitting it into the ProcessWire context is wonderful.

Hi Sephiroth.

Great start! I have been searching for an in-depth tutorial on creating modules so I was delighted to find this thread linked in ProcessWire Weekly.

I started reading and adding comments for grammar and spelling and realized it would be much faster if I was able to actually edit the doc. So, I am officially offering my services as an Editor for your document. I figure this would be a great way for me to contribute back to this awesome community and help you help me learn how to write PW modules.

If you are interested, let me know and we can go from there.

Continue the great work!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, artaylor said:

Hi Sephiroth.

Great start! I have been searching for an in-depth tutorial on creating modules so I was delighted to find this thread linked in ProcessWire Weekly.

I started reading and adding comments for grammar and spelling and realized it would be much faster if I was able to actually edit the doc. So, I am officially offering my services as an Editor for your document. I figure this would be a great way for me to contribute back to this awesome community and help you help me learn how to write PW modules.

Continue the great work!

Thanks for your comments, I saw them i really love to apologize to everyone, I got sidetracked by a big project in the office but am working on continuing the rest and yes VueJs is part of it 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, artaylor said:

Hi Sephiroth.

Continue the great work!

can you send your email so i can add you as a collaborator, however i think it's public and anyone can edit. Thanks alot for the support

On 3/10/2017 at 10:41 PM, jmartsch said:

Thank you for this great article. It should be in the official ProcessWire Docs.

Thanks I didn't even see this comment, I had plains of re-writing, I think i went too far going with something too complex without best practice so working to change the tutorial to start with something small like fetching API from Reddit to build a widget.