Processwire and SEO

Kae

Hey, guys. 3 a.m and a heavy rain in Rio de Janeiro. I can't sleep on nights like these.. so i started thinking about search engines.

I know PW uses pages to gather information and generate content, while other cms are bucket based and have a lot of functionality but a little bit harder to control and extract. The real question is: to search engines, is there any difference between these too types of cms? How good is PW when search engine becomes really  relevant to the project?

Martijn is absolutely right in both points he makes.

Here are a few of my own thoughts...

There are some things that we can control directly - 'On-page optimisation', and that is where PW and a bit of thought & skill can make a real difference. (I'm not talking about spammy keyword stuffing or anything here.)

Reading around the subject, it is clear that things Google likes include (in no order of preference)

• Fast loading pages - PW helps out of the box but there are plugins for minifying code & caching for example. There are also helpful post on here about .htaccess tweaks to help loading speed.
  • Clean, (semantic?), error-free markup.
  • Responsive designs.
  • Microformats / schema.org markup.
  • Indications that a site is 'for real' - a contact email, a phone number, a postal address etc.
  • Links to actual, related social accounts (Twitter, FB, LinkedIn etc.).

This kind of thing (including obvious old-school stuff like meta title and description tags) is not difficult and I firmly believe can give you a head start in the search results.

This article http://www.thesempost.com/google-rewrites-quality-rating-guide-seos-need-know/ talks about revised Rater Guidelines and mentions things like offering readers other content related to the page they are on (so called 'Supplementary Content'). With a bit of programming (and we have discussed this subject here before) that is again something that can be built in. There's a bunch of other ideas in there.

It isn't too much of a stretch to expect that, without doing too much traditional link-building, a site incorporating some of these ideas could launch, and with some social promotion, start gaining valuable organic, editorial links very quickly. I firmly believe that any site not taking advantage of these (relatively) easy optimisations is not making the most of the opportunity.

• Like 2

including obvious old-school stuff like meta title and description tags

I found, that the title tag is still an extremely important element. Try it out by amending keywords in the tag from time to time and see how your site performs. With every new site I spent some thinking and effort on the browser title with mostly very good results.

• Like 2

For me it is summed up mostly in 3 words. 'Content is King'. This should be number 1 priority. Sure all the other things matter such as page speed, responsiveness, no keyword stuffing etc... but content of your pages will matter more than anything.

I found that half the time it doesn't  matter what meta title or description I put now.

If it doesn't match the page content enough or to the liking of google then king google will change the title and description in the search and insert what they think is best for you..

Concentrate on page content and SEO will take care of itself.