New ProcessWire admin theme on dev branch

ryan

I just use my scroll wheel for scrolling, not clicking, so that will be where I'm going wrong.

Still, it's one habit I'll never break I don't think as it doesn't take long either way.

I honestly don't agree, and really don't like sites/apps opening new windows/tabs for me (that's what option+click is for). But you aren't the first person to mention it, so I'll try to accommodate both preferences somehow or another. 

Just saw this https://twitter.com/smashingmag/status/424887979170332672 :)

• Like 1

If you make custom admin pages (ie. with a custom process), and want the new theme module applied to them, make sure you change the site's index.php "$adminTplDir" variable (~ around line nr. 80) to:

$adminTplDir = "modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeDefault";

Great new theme module btw !

Actually, on the topic of the default look. I personally quite look the futura color scheme, and I don't mind the warm (your current default), but I wonder if "modern" should be the default since it most closely matches the color scheme of the PW website. So, while the website looks as it does, I think that "modern" would be my vote for default "color set" and for the installation routine.

Anyone else have a preference?

• Like 5

to continue the thoughts of adrian and Martijn:

why not drop the (old) theme in /wire/templates-admin/? Is it technically needed? Instead of that make the new AdminThemeDefault preinstalled by default and preselect the most liked color scheme (Modern ?).

In the moment it's a little bit confusing for PW newbies. At first they get the old admin after installation, then they have to find out how to get the new AdminThemeDefault.

• Like 2

So, while the website looks as it does, I think that "modern" would be my vote for default "color set" and for the installation routine.

+1 for "modern" for the reasons Adrian mentioned.. and because the "warm" color scheme gives me this nostalgic feeling I can't quite explain. It feels comfortable (kind of like 80's product design and advertising), but doesn't really match my image of ProcessWire as a present-day top-of-the-line software product :)

Could just be an easy installation choice I think.

That would be nice. Or at least give a info at the end of the installation, where to find the settings for the color scheme.

So all PW newbies get the 'ooh.. aah..' feelings very fast...

• Like 1

I know I am hijacking this, but teppo brought it up first :)

Although, I am not sure that anyone outside Australia got these ads, but they played for a long time when I was growing up!

I'd also like to see an option for the color scheme to be chosen during installation!

• Like 2

Ok I've got the admin colors selection built into the installer now (with live preview even). Installer also now uses the new theme.

I ran out if time before I could get it in GitHub (now at my girls' swim practice), so hope to get it committed to dev later today.

• Like 5

Following up from the previous message, the update is now committed to dev. I ran a test install, and all appeared to work well (Chrome / OS X). If anyone else gets to test it out in other browsers or platforms, please let me know if you run into any issues. Here's what the color theme selection looks like (screenshot attached) ... basically just a select box that swaps the stylesheet with an onchange event.

post-2-0-72586200-1390675593_thumb.png 

• Like 5