ChatGPT: a reliable AI assistant for ProcessWire in the near future? Color me impressed already!

jacmaes

With all the hype about ChatGPT, I wanted to see how useful it could be for us ProcessWire lovers. In a word: wow! It's pretty darn impressive for such early public testing and for such targeted subject. I love how it proposes code with comments, then proceeds to explain it.

(Note: I've been getting more impressive and consistent results on mobile for some reason.)

Prompt: Filter blog post by category in ProcessWire

To filter blog posts by category in ProcessWire, you can use the find method of the $pages object, along with the category field and the equals operator, like this:

// Get the category slug from the URL
$category_slug = $input->urlSegment1;

// Find all blog posts in the given category
$posts = $pages->find("template=blog-post, category.slug=$category_slug");

// Loop through the posts and output their titles
foreach ($posts as $post) {
  echo "<h2>$post->title</h2>";
}

This code will find all blog posts that are in the category with the given slug, and output their titles. You can modify this code to output other information about the posts, such as their content, images, or dates.

To make it easier for users to filter posts by category, you can also create a navigation menu that lists all the available categories, like this:

// Find all categories
$categories = $pages->find("template=blog-category");

// Output a link for each category
echo "<ul>";
foreach ($categories as $category) {
  echo "<li><a href='/blog/$category->slug'>$category->title</a></li>";
}
echo "</ul>";

This code will find all blog categories and output a link for each one, using the category slug as the URL parameter. When a user clicks on a link, they will be taken to the blog page with the posts filtered by that category.

Prompt: Login form in ProcessWire

To create a login form in ProcessWire, you can use the following code:

// Check if form has been submitted
if ($input->post->submit) {
  // Sanitize user input
  $email = $sanitizer->email($input->post->email);
  $password = $sanitizer->text($input->post->password);

// Check if user exists and password is correct
  $user = $users->get("email=$email");
  if ($user && $user->matches($password)) {
    // Login user
    $session->login($user);

// Redirect to home page
    $session->redirect("/");
  } else {
    // Output error message
    $error = "Invalid email or password.";
  }
}

// Output login form
echo "<form method='post'>";
echo "<label>Email:</label>";
echo "<input type='email' name='email' value='$email'>";
echo "<label>Password:</label>";
echo "<input type='password' name='password' value='$password'>";
echo "<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Login'>";
echo "</form>";

// Output any errors
if ($error) {
  echo "<p class='error'>$error</p>";
}

This code creates a login form that accepts an email and password. When the form is submitted, it checks if a user with the given email exists, and if the password is correct. If the email and password are valid, it logs in the user and redirects to the home page. If the email and password are invalid, it outputs an error message.

Prompt: User registration class in ProcessWire with email, password of at least 10 characters and age over 18. Check if email is unique.

To create a user registration class in ProcessWire with email, password of at least 10 characters, and age over 18, you can use the following code:

class UserRegistration {

public function register($email, $password, $age) {
    // Sanitize user input
    $email = $sanitizer->email($email);
    $password = $sanitizer->text($password);
    $age = (int) $age;

// Validate user input
    if ($age < 18) {
      $errors[] = "You must be over 18 to register.";
    }
    if (strlen($password) < 10) {
      $errors[] = "Your password must be at least 10 characters long.";
    }
    if ($users->get("email=$email")) {
      $errors[] = "A user with this email already exists.";
    }

// If no errors, create user account
    if (!$errors) {
      // Create new user
      $user = new User();
      $user->email = $email;
      $user->password = $password;
      $user->age = $age;

// Save user to database
      $user->save();

// Redirect to confirmation page
      $session->redirect("/confirmation");
    }
  }

}

This code creates a UserRegistration class with a register method that takes an email, password, and age as arguments. The method sanitizes and validates the input, and creates a new user if the input is valid. It also checks if a user with the given email already exists in the database, and outputs an error if one does.

To use this class, you would first instantiate it:

$registration = new UserRegistration();

Then, you can call the register method to create a new user:

$registration->register($email, $password, $age);

Prompt (similar to previous one): User registration form in ProcessWire with first name, last name, email, password of at least 10 characters and age over 18.

To create a user registration form in ProcessWire with first name, last name, email, password of at least 10 characters, and age over 18, you can use the following code:

// Check if form has been submitted
if ($input->post->submit) {
  // Sanitize user input
  $first_name = $sanitizer->text($input->post->first_name);
  $last_name = $sanitizer->text($input->post->last_name);
  $email = $sanitizer->email($input->post->email);
  $password = $sanitizer->text($input->post->password);
  $age = (int) $input->post->age;

// Validate user input
  if ($age < 18) {
    $errors[] = "You must be over 18 to register.";
  }
  if (strlen($password) < 10) {
    $errors[] = "Your password must be at least 10 characters long.";
  }

// If no errors, create user account
  if (!$errors) {
    // Create new user
    $user = new User();
    $user->first_name = $first_name;
    $user->last_name = $last_name;
    $user->email = $email;
    $user->password = $password;
    $user->age = $age;

// Save user to database
    $user->save();

// Redirect to confirmation page
    $session->redirect("/confirmation");
  }
}

// Output registration form
echo "<form method='post'>";
echo "<label>First Name:</label>";
echo "<input type='text' name='first_name' value='$first_name'>";
echo "<label>Last Name:</label>";
echo "<input type='text' name='last_name' value='$last_name'>";
echo "<label>Email:</label>";
echo "<input type='email' name='email' value='$email'>";
echo "<label>Password:</label>";
echo "<input type='password' name='password' value='$password'>";
echo "<label>Age:</label>";
echo "<input type='number' name='age' value='$age'>";
echo "<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Submit'>";
echo "</form>";

// Output any errors
if ($errors) {
  foreach ($errors as $error) {
    echo "<p class='error'>$error</p>";
  }
}

Watch out, this is addictive 😃

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Also tested it ... wow that's awesome. 

Phrase: how to add a new field to a processwire template via api

To add a new field to a ProcessWire template via the API, you can use the $fields->save() method. This method allows you to create a new field and add it to a template using a PHP script. Here is an example of how this could be implemented:

// Use the Wire class to access the ProcessWire API
$wire = Wire();

// Get the fields and templates modules
$fields = $wire->fields;
$templates = $wire->templates;

// Create a new field
$field = $fields->newField();

// Set the name and type of the field
$field->name = 'my_field';
$field->type = 'text';

// Save the field
$fields->save($field);

// Get the template to which you want to add the field
$template = $templates->get('my_template');

// Add the field to the template
$template->fields->add($field);

// Save the template
$template->save();

In the example above, we use the $fields->newField() method to create a new field, and then use the $fields->save() method to save the field. We also use the $templates->get() method to get the template to which we want to add the field, and then use the $template->fields->add() method to add the field to the template. Finally, we use the $template->save() method to save the template with the added field.

Note that this is just one way to add a new field to a ProcessWire template via the API. There may be other approaches that could work as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pwired said:

Is this for real ? Don't know if I should be surprised or worried. Are we one step closer where web designers/coders become obsolete ? I hear that ChatGPT is already in competition with iOS Swift developers ?

One step closer, yes. But realistically, that's still not very close at all. Someone always needs to enter those prompts, after all. And while I've heard some people say an AI will always create more secure code than a human being, I don't believe that at all. So any code created by an AI should always be double-checked by a human being. The code examples ChatGPT is giving us right now is only snippets. There's still a lot of manual work needed in creating, say, a new Fieldtype and Inputfield. I've asked ChatGPT to create a Fieldtype and Inputfield and it wasn't able to show me a fully working example that didn't need a lot of manual editing. It always "forgot" some things, like the constructor, or it used a wrong parameter signature. Of course this will get better, but the more complex your prompts are becoming, the higher the risk the code simply will not work out of the box.

The way I'm seeing it, AI is a great and valuable TOOL. It can save you from having to Google an answer for 30 minutes. It can give you some inspiration. But it's still just a tool, and for the foreseeable future, our jobs will be safe, because it's going to be US who will write the prompts and incorporate the code created. We shouldn't ignore it, and we need to learn to use it correctly. If all goes well, it might make our jobs a little easier, but shhh, don't tell our clients!

Seriously though, yes, it's probably going to change things in the long term. See it as an evolution of our jobs. It might make SOME jobs obsolete. But frankly, comparing the clean elegance of ProcessWire with the convoluted mess of some other web frameworks and content management systems that keep reinventing the wheel every six months, you could argue if some web developers maybe should become obsolete.

But finally, there's the issue that's been debated when it comes to art AI and Github Copilot already: copyright. AIs are always trained on existing material, and there will always be the risk that it simply lifts some code/art that has been released under an incompatible license. That's something a human will need to have an eye on, too.

• Like 7

Hi mattgs, reading your reply, your writing about it, I am sure that is how it is in the real world for a long time to come. Also your writing about it from an experienced coder, could only come from a real human and not from ChatGPT

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mattgs said:

AI is a great and valuable TOOL.

• I agree. AI has nothing to do with computer's being intelligent or being able to do something on their own without human aid and intervention. Oxford dictionary for the word "intelligence":
    • "the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills"
  • A bunch of data in a database is not knowledge. What is in a human's head, that is "knowledge". Again, the Oxford dictionary says:
    • knowledge: "information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject"
    • skill: "the ability to do something well; expertise"
  • "artificial" by the dictionary:
    • "made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally"
  • Artificial Intelligence by the same dictionary:
    • "the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks normally requiring human intelligence"

So how could one eliminate the "human" form Artificial Intelligence which – by definition – is strictly related to human beings? If we start using words and expressions which can also mean the opposite as well (or something else completely) then we instantly loose our ability to communicate. (That would be like on-the-fly redefining the commands and responses of a protocol in a computer system. The result would be a complete mess.)

AI is great in producing text, that looks plausible, but it's not concerned with actual correctness. I'm working with elixir nowadays and there have been many examples posted, where responses claimed some API to exist in the stdlib, which just didn't. Looked totally fine on paper until you looked into the actual stdlib and found nothing. So really AI can be useful, but in the case of ChatGPT you really want someone chatting, who can actually validate the responses.

On 12/13/2022 at 8:30 AM, szabesz said:

If we start using words and expressions which can also mean the opposite as well (or something else completely) then we instantly loose our ability to communicate. (That would be like on-the-fly redefining the commands and responses of a protocol in a computer system. The result would be a complete mess.)

Languages evolve and that's not a new thing at all. Take for example computer, which used to be a human doing math, and now is a machine. There's a good reason why we don't use natural language for programming our – now machine – computers. They're messy and not at all strictly defined.

• Like 6

Machine learning is quite an amazing thing and I have recently looked at what happened with the Google Alpha Zero program using neural networks. In board games like Chess and Go the machine was given only the rules of the game and objective and then given huge amounts of historical games to learn from. It was also playing itself millions of times and learning from this. Apparently after 4 hours it became stronger than the strongest program (Stockfish) and plays in a radically different way compared to previous Non AI programs, even showing moves that seemed alien to human grand masters but when analysed were found to be previously undiscovered winning strategies. This completely amazed me. So I think that AI will be very powerful organising a database into very pertinent and relevant responses and will only get better and more accurate over time with the neural networks they are using now. Of course humans will intervene and make corrections but the program will "learn" from this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question: is processwire better than wordpress?

Answer: 

It's difficult to say definitively whether one content management system (CMS) is "better" than another, as the right choice depends on your specific needs and goals. Both ProcessWire and WordPress are popular CMS options with their own strengths and weaknesses.

ProcessWire is a flexible, open-source CMS that is well-suited for developers and web designers who want a high level of control over their site's structure and content. It has a strong focus on security and performance, and it is highly customizable, with a powerful API that allows developers to build custom functionality and integrations.

WordPress is also an open-source CMS that is widely used for building websites of all sizes and types. It is known for its user-friendly interface and large ecosystem of plugins and themes, which makes it relatively easy for non-developers to set up and manage a website. WordPress is suitable for a wide range of use cases, including blogs, e-commerce sites, and business websites.

Ultimately, the choice between ProcessWire and WordPress will depend on your specific needs and goals. If you are a developer or web designer who values flexibility and customization, ProcessWire may be the better choice. If you are a non-technical user who is looking for an easy-to-use platform with a large ecosystem of plugins and themes, WordPress may be a better fit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

how friendly is the processwire community?

The ProcessWire community is generally known for being friendly and helpful. ProcessWire is an open-source content management system (CMS) that is used by developers and web designers to build and manage websites and web-based applications. The community includes a wide range of users, including developers, designers, and site administrators, who are all interested in using and improving the CMS.

There are several ways to get involved in the ProcessWire community and ask for help or advice. The ProcessWire forums are a good place to ask questions and get answers from other users. The ProcessWire documentation is also a helpful resource, with detailed guides and tutorials on using the CMS.

In addition, the ProcessWire community is active on social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, where users can share news, ask questions, and connect with other users. There are also several ProcessWire meetups and conferences held around the world, which provide an opportunity for users to connect in person and learn more about the CMS.

Overall, the ProcessWire community is a supportive and welcoming group of users who are passionate about the CMS and are willing to help others get the most out of it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, diogo said:

There are also several ProcessWire meetups and conferences held around the world, which provide an opportunity for users to connect in person and learn more about the CMS.

ChatGPT will teach us something ...

We really need a ProcessWire Conference 🤩

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Just took a moment to play a bit more with ChatGPT (v3.5) and built a simple module with it.

While it was pretty easy, ChatGPT needs a lot of assistance to make things work out as expected.

Adding the Processwire namespace? Nope.
Taking care of user input and sanitizing? Nope.

But that's totally fine for me. It took about 30-40 minutes from start to published on Github.

See: TextformatterAsciiEmoji

The README.md was also written by ChatGPT.

• Like 5

Now that there is llamaindex https://gpt-index.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html with connector for github repo https://llamahub.ai/l/github_repo available, I thought it would be awesome to have a LLM that is specifically trained on PW.

I thought I'd give it a try and asked GPT-4 for some guidance on how to create an index and then setup training and so on.

Here's what I asked for

provide code for indexing https://github.com/processwire/processwire with Llamaindex and GithubRepositoryReader

And that was the answer

LlamaIndex is an internal technique used by OpenAI to index datasets during the training process of AI models like GPT-3 and Codex. It is not a publicly available tool or library that you can use directly to index a GitHub repository.

Similarly, "GithubRepositoryReader" is not a specific library or tool that I am familiar with, and it does not seem to be a standard library available for public use.

Disappointing. This answer proves that even GPT-4 has only data until Sept. 21 available. At that time llamaindex was not public yet.

I'm not into python at all. So I would have a hard time when trying to setup indexing of the PW github repo and then training a LLM on that index. I'd love to see how this would work out. But GPT-3 and 4 are already quite good at understanding PW, it seems.

I installed https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Rubberduck.rubberduck-vscode in vscodium. So I don't have to switch to the browser when asking GPT. Pretty neat tool.

• Like 4

OpenAI are moving on pretty fast. Referring to my last post, there is a more up to date way of supplying training data to LLMs with instructions from https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/fine-tuning

I think we could use this to train the AI on the PW API. We'd need to provide a JSONL file with training data. The data should contain the usage descriptions and examples from the PW API docs. As far as I know the API docs are automatically generated with PHPDocumentor https://www.phpdoc.org/ 
I am looking for ways to convert the present HTML output from Documentor to JSONL files. Maybe output XML first with Documentor and then convert that. Or write a Documentor template that outputs JSONL directly.  Just an idea, but should be doable.

Is anyone here experienced wit PHP Documentor and can tell me whether this is possible?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gebeer said:

I think we could use this to train the AI on the PW API. We'd need to provide a JSONL file with training data. The data should contain the usage descriptions and examples from the PW API docs. As far as I know the API docs are automatically generated with PHPDocumentor https://www.phpdoc.org/ 
I am looking for ways to convert the present HTML output from Documentor to JSONL files. Maybe output XML first with Documentor and then convert that. Or write a Documentor template that outputs JSONL directly.  Just an idea, but should be doable.

Is anyone here experienced wit PHP Documentor and can tell me whether this is possible?

@adrian's tracydebugger also has an api explorer panel that you might be able to get inspiration from 🙂 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, diogo said:

On a less positive note, this is a very interesting, and a bit scary, talk https://www.humanetech.com/podcast/the-ai-dilemma

To follow up on that, I fed this into GPT-4:

I am preparing a talk about AI safety and potential negative impact of LLMs on our society. In that talk I want to give an outlook on possible safety measures that societies can take to avoid that negative impact.

That was it's reply:

Title: Safeguarding Our Future: AI Safety and Mitigating the Negative Impact of LLMs

Introduction:

• Briefly introduce AI and LLMs (Large Language Models), highlighting their rapid development and potential benefits.
  • Present the importance of addressing AI safety concerns and the potential negative impacts of LLMs on society.

I. Potential Negative Impacts of LLMs A. Misinformation and fake news generation B. Amplification of biases and discrimination C. Privacy invasion and surveillance D. Job displacement and economic inequality E. Addiction to AI-generated content F. Malicious uses and security threats

II. AI Safety Measures for Society A. Investing in AI research and development

1. Encourage interdisciplinary collaboration
  2. Prioritize robustness, interpretability, and fairness
  3. Develop open standards and benchmarks for AI safety

B. Regulatory and policy interventions

1. Establish regulatory bodies and frameworks for AI oversight
  2. Implement data protection and privacy laws
  3. Promote transparency and accountability in AI development and deployment

C. Industry best practices

1. Implement AI ethics guidelines and principles
  2. Foster a culture of responsibility among AI developers
  3. Encourage the use of AI for good, addressing global challenges

D. Education and public awareness

1. Integrate AI safety and ethics into curricula
  2. Promote public discourse on AI and its implications
  3. Encourage media literacy and critical thinking skills

E. Collaboration between stakeholders

1. Establish partnerships between governments, industry, academia, and civil society
  2. Develop a global governance framework for AI
  3. Foster international cooperation on AI safety research and policy

Conclusion:

• Emphasize the importance of a proactive approach to AI safety and the mitigation of LLMs' negative impacts on society.
  • Reiterate the need for collaboration, education, and regulation to ensure that AI develops in a manner that benefits humanity as a whole.
  • Encourage the audience to engage in conversations about AI safety and to consider how they can contribute to a safer AI future.

• Like 2

Once LLM models can be personally trained on home networks, we can develop the ability to train on personal data and education, resources and inspiration. Some LLM can already be run on home machine with a modest Nvidia 4090 😆 but other models are more generic, running on any 24GB+ GPU.

Imagine being able to feed all of August Rodin's notebooks, sketchbooks and studies into an AI and the design cues that could produce. Or DaVinci.

Who owns the rights to this, or is it public domain? The rights aspect of models is going to be the next big war. I DON'T believe people are going to want universal and unopinionated models for their own work. I don't think those are as useful for maintaining the creative integrity of a person in their field. It is great to be able to consult ai librarians - models trained on a particular body of knowledge.

For example, I would love to be able to consult an AI trained on all of the protected content published by the Journal for the Study of Old Testament. It would radically transform academia to be able to have research assistants that could be leased for a small fee to provide reliable synopsis and citations on the vast volumes of journals within a given field.

Or even reinvent Reader's Digest, training a model with the text of all popular novels and developing a bot that could be consulted to read summaries of popular novels that are shorter or even adaptations of novels for different age groups of language skill levels.

What if we could read a Dostoyevsky novel in an abridged version - with an optional character diagram - at an 8th grade level - for someone with ESL.

What I am interested in, and what many bosses are interested in - the ability to train an AI model that is like us and retains our style, experience and knowledge base. Lots of bosses would like to be able to hire as many of themselves as they could - particularly when growth and innovation are important. Not everyone wants drones.

Someone who could produce draft output that we curate - this is the most promising edge of AI, and the one that frightens a lot of people because many mid-level folks are where they are today because they have copied or stolen other people's work.

Once you have a digital twin trained on your own work inspiration, background and style, you should be able to lease your twin to do certain tasks. Because trust of training sources is going to be important, and in the end there will be models for all of us - how are those rights managed? When you use an engine to train and build out a model based on your preferences, likes, background, interests and expertise, do you own the rights to what has been trained? Or do those rights belong to the content owners used to train to model? The answers to these questions frighten me more than the technology itself - just as medical patents infringe on bodily integrity on a regular basis in the US once you get involved with product trials. The idea a company can own a part of your biology because you get a treatment is disturbing.

The patents and rights issues related to medical ethics and personal property rights are still unresolved - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3440234/

This will certainly apply to the digitization of connectome neural paths.

A cool primer on connectomes, if you haven't heard of this:

As an artist, who wouldn't love to be able to train their own personal visual training model based solely on their own collection of work - studies, materials, style, etc. - and then put that 'virtual apprentice' to work.

I think these global singularity-type models are great for those who can afford to not discriminate for quality and taste of output. It gets the job done when the specifics aren't important, or when you are willing to compromise your vision for something that serendipity brings along that is superior. But for those who have a more precise vision with lower tolerances, the general training models are not lucky enough to work consistently.

"The work of a master of their craft who is also a professional is reliable, repeatable, and responsible." - R. Fripp

AI is not this - yet - for anything. But all the ingredients are coming together nicely.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:20 AM, rushy said:

...what happened with the Google Alpha Zero program using neural networks. In board games like Chess and Go...

An incredible documentary on this - AlphaGo - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6700846/

Well worth a watch.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gornycreative said:

Who owns the rights to this, or is it public domain?

Imagine why Microsoft's BING AI is in some parts way better than anything else? Hint: Github

Absolutely everything in terms of code is in Microsoft's hands right now.

No matter that... there are more ethical questions in regards to this. What's allowed and what not. On the other hand, there are already models that found possible cures for lots of illnesses, more critical things in terms of society and such, some are already in real-life studies, like some possible cancer cures and even old Nicola Tesla patents and whatnot.

I DON'T believe people are going to want universal and unopinionated models

I hope and wish people want unopinionated and unbiased models. Otherswise the echo chambers just became million times bigger than already. BUT... noone can say which model/AI is really that neutral. So... yeah.

In terms of writings and suggestions... GPT4 is already quite good as this. Feed it your last 10+ books you read and you will get awesome results. Depending on your input and your prompt... you might be impressed.

What if we could read a Dostoyevsky novel in an abridged version - with an optional character diagram - at an 8th grade level - for someone with ESL.

You can. I tried it with Inferno (Dante, not Dan Brown) and some other similar books. You could ask whatever you want. Just ask with some optimized prompts. Maybe even try DAN prompts or use extensions to allow internet access. 🤯

There is so much going on right now. If you are interested in models and specialiced prompts... follow Brian Rommele on Twitter. He has some interesting prompts that show you how to "manage" the deeper level

https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele

Just tried to find a bookmark of someone that trained GPT on a local Raspberry Pi for his needs. There are already so many solutions out there. Most of the things we experience right now... are 6+ months old already and were just made public to us. Or how could so many companies, services and even single person offer such incredible tools within weeks?

BING AI, Canva AI, Mozilla AI, Brave AI... and... much... more...

Edited by diogo
Removed the automatic embedding of the twitter feed.
  • Like 3

@wbmnfktr I edited your post to remove the automatic embedding of the twitter feed and replaced it by the link only. It was huge 😄

@Pete Should we deactivate it? Doesn't even make sense to embed the whole feed when you link to it 🤨

• Like 2