ProcessWire on the web

apeisa

I let Google translate the article for me, and German is one of the languages that it does not do so well with in translating to English. However, I could understand enough to see that this is one of the best articles on ProcessWire I've seen. Michael Van Laar really has a gift with communication like this. He managed to cover a lot of territory there in a very accessible way, and it really draws in the reader. Thanks for writing this Michael!

I let Google translate the article for me, and German is one of the languages that it does not do so well with in translating to English. However, I could understand enough to see that this is one of the best articles on ProcessWire I've seen. Michael Van Laar really has a gift with communication like this. He managed to cover a lot of territory there in a very accessible way, and it really draws in the reader. Thanks for writing this Michael!

Maybe the upcoming German Key Account Manager when PW is taking over the world? ^_^

@MadeMyDay: Nice Podcast and now I know what you where doing all the day in your room :-[

I let Google translate the article for me, and German is one of the languages that it does not do so well with in translating to English.

short summary: michaels article is a profound introduction to pw, written with practical knowledge. he covers all main aspects such as pags, templates, fields, related content etc. he strongly recommends pw to everybody who likes to have total control over markup and functionality. he points out, that beginners with little php knowledge are good to go in less than one day. that pretty much is it.

however, he is not the first praising pw in germany: http://www.perun.net...fs-wesentliche/

ah, just realized that the august article is also by michael ... (it says "vladimir" in the meta information)

Edited by totoff
  • Like 2

New revision of WorkingDraft ist now available (german podcast, covering ProcessWire): http://workingdraft.de/99/

Can anyone tell me more about this? Since it's audio, I don't even have a chance of attempting to translate it. :) Though from the program summary it sounds like they had some good things to say about PW? I think it's great that people are writing and talking about PW so much this week.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me more about this?

hi ryan, this piece is by former modx fanboys, who converted to pw recently. it's made in interview style and the guy who is mainly talking had pw on his shortlist for a while. since pw was awarded by cmscritics recently, they now decided to publish the interview.

their first topic is how easy it is to update pw compared to modx. they continue with their opinion, that modx is more "academic" while pw is made by people who know webdesigner's everyday business.

next they praise how responsive the main developer of pw is (do you know him?). good ideas raised in the forum make their way into the core quickly, they state.

next they talk about the simplictiy of pw. they raise questions on the roadmap: will pw stay as simple as it is? or will it go the "enterprise road" like modx did?

the piece is not at all an introduction to pw. it's more a fireside chat of people who know modx in detail and now compare it to pw.

they end with a chat about the api. that everything in pw has to bee done "manually" in pw (with some php knowledge), is a major advantage from their point of view. however, they consider pw as not "sexy" :) but powerful.

the whole thing is a bit like pirate radio (do you say so in english?). i mean independent radio by amateurs.

cheers, christoph

• Like 6

Thanks a lot for that great summary Christoph! Sounds like a great show.

So PW's not sexy eh? Must be that admin theme... :) We need Renobird to share his CSS tweaks with us and/or have Soma and Nikola take over control of the core admin theme(s).

Well, now, my background is wonderfully confusing. But out of the many things I have done over the years, one of them was producing radio shows....

Maybe we should do an interview with Ryan via Skype or something ....

:)

• Like 2

I'd welcome the opportunity to do anything that helps move the ProcessWire project forward. I'm cool with interviews so long as I've got at least a rough list of questions ahead of time. I tend to think a lot before I speak so wouldn't want to waste people's time with "Hmm, let me think about that" or "Hmm, let me look up what FLOSS and FOSS means again." :) Since I don't work in an office with other developers, it's rare that I talk to anyone about webdev topics. But think I can do a good job when prepared.

• Like 4

hi ryan, this piece is by former modx fanboys, who converted to pw recently. it's made in interview style and the guy who is mainly talking had pw on his shortlist for a while. since pw was awarded by cmscritics recently, they now decided to publish the interview.

Not exactly. It was coincidence that the very same day the award was announced. I was invited to the show to talk about PW and one of the residents brought up an example why he is disappointed by MODX lately. I use PW since april exclusively and talk about the reasons why.

their first topic is how easy it is to update pw compared to modx. they continue with their opinion, that modx is more "academic" while pw is made by people who know webdesigner's everyday business.

Exactly.

next they praise how responsive the main developer of pw is (do you know him?). good ideas raised in the forum make their way into the core quickly, they state.

I think everyone signs that ;)

next they talk about the simplictiy of pw. they raise questions on the roadmap: will pw stay as simple as it is? or will it go the "enterprise road" like modx did?

This was a question of the resident. I said you'll never know but from the general architecture point of view I doubt it will take the same road.

the piece is not at all an introduction to pw. it's more a fireside chat of people who know modx in detail and now compare it to pw.

yes, the audience of that podcast is more tech orientated, they usually talk about cutting edge web technology like recently implemented APIs from the browser vendors. The show is recorded weekly, so it is quite up to date.

they end with a chat about the api. that everything in pw has to bee done "manually" in pw (with some php knowledge), is a major advantage from their point of view. however, they consider pw as not "sexy" :) but powerful.

I didn't say that :P

What I meant is that from the first view one is perhaps missing a "sexy" template language. But is even more sexy once you understood the API, its power and flexibility. No doubt that PW is more sexy than all the others out there!

the whole thing is a bit like pirate radio (do you say so in english?). i mean independent radio by amateurs.

It is the most heard german web technology podcast with 500-1000 listeners every week, which is not great but also not that unimportant ;)

Thanks Christoph for the summary!

• Like 1

Another one from gadgetopia, and this time is about all of us :)

http://gadgetopia.com/post/8286

My current plaything du jour – ProcessWire – is very young but already has a great set of forums. Simple, straightforward, and well-trafficked. And this is from a one-man, open-source CMS operation. For Ryan, his forums are a force multiplier – he’s kicked a snowball off the hill, and it’s collected all sorts of people as it grew bigger that help him keep it rolling.
  • Like 7

I agree with pretty much all of what he says and wonder if we should be checking for any topics with zero replies? I could run a query sometime next week I suppose (busy this week).

• Like 2

I agree with pretty much all of what he says and wonder if we should be checking for any topics with zero replies? I could run a query sometime next week I suppose (busy this week).

Interesting idea this, because even really old posts will come up in google searches. It is a horrible job, but it would be interesting to go through the list and put a quick answer even if it is just pointing the thread to a more recent thread that covers the same subject.

At least that ties up some loose ends.

Damn good PR! Assuming anyone notices, of course.....

Okay, shot through the General Support (30 pages)

I found a few that were moved topics, 5 others where the poster had answered their own question and one that I answered for fun. (See Diogo's post above)

The ones where they had answered their own questions were from experienced users. I did not find ANY in General from new users that were unanswered.

Oh, there was one. It was "post your questions here" from some bloke called Ryan back in December 2010. I wonder what happened to him? Probably went off and used Joomla....

That is a pretty good record!

One very impressed Joss

• Like 3