Drupal vs Processwire

joshuag

@Xeto:

Maybe some ready to use modules (with configuration page, useable/ nice templates,...) could make PW even more interesting for Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress users. 

For example...

• image resize filter with colorbox integration (show image as thumbnail / custom size image with link to original image inside a colorbox)
  • tags, archive (parts for a "simple" blog module)

Using custom image-sizes (cropping / resizing) is very well documented and easy.

Adding a lightbox / fancybox / shadowbox CSS + JS in your header, and adding the necessary rel=[foo] in your templates is easy too.

Tags / archive / blog functionality: There's an excellent Blog Profile you can install. Also, there's a date archiver module already out there.

Hi Dragan,

I already know and use those examples ;)

Tags/ categories are really easy to build (page reference field, tested with an accordion based on categories) and I also build a slideshow (cycle2) / colorbox solution (simple test inside a slideshow.php template).

To build archives I take a look at blog profile and found this post: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/263-creating-archives-for-newsblogs-sections/ (currently not yet tested).

So I try to build my features/ site and learn how PW works. 

An out of the box working solution/ module would be fine and save me some time, but I don't need it to build my site... 

I mentioned it because those modules could bring some "Drumlapress" users to PW and save some time with consistently needed/ used features.

I hope people here understand what I mean. Sorry for my bad English  :unsure:

It's unlikely a single module will provide everything everyone will need for a login/registration system, because everyone's interpretation of its requirements will be different every time.

• Will users use email or usernames?
  • What other details do you need to capture about the user?
  • What validation needs to happen on these extra fields?
  • Do people need to validate their email addresses, or do accounts have to be approved manually?
  • What security roles and settings need to be applied?
  • Where do people log in? Is there going to be a "remember me" option?
  • What happens if they forget their password?
  • What if there's a third-party backend system that the authentication needs to tie in to?

Would be cool to see people post their own login/reg systems in the PW wiki, though.

• 1 year later...

RHJ1cGFsIGlzIGJldHRlciB0aGFuIFBXLg0KDQpCdXQgdGhlbiBhZ2FpbiB5b3Ugd2lsbCBub3QgZmluZCBhbiBvYmplY3RpdmUgYW5zd2VyIGluIGEgZm9ydW0gbGlrZSB0aGlzLCB0aGlzIGlzIGEgUFcgZm9ydW0uICBJdCBpcyBmYWlyIHRvIHNheSB0aGF0IHRoZSBvbmx5IHdheSB0byBmaW5kIG91dCBpcyB0byB0ZXN0IHRoZXNlIENNU3MgYWdhaW5zdCB5b3VyIG93biBwcm9qZWN0cy4gIEFuZCB0aGUgbnVtYmVycyB3aWxsIHNwZWFrIGZvciB0aGVtc2VsdmVzLCB0aGVyZSBhcmUgcmVhc29ucyB3aHkgcGVvcGxlIHVzZSBzb21lIENNUyBtb3JlIHRoYW4gdGhlIG90aGVyLg==

Edited by Martijn Geerts
Encoded childish post

Why would you encode his post?

I personally have to agree with him(cssabc123). It depends on the project's needs when you decide a framework to work with. Whether it is Drupal or PW or Joomla depending on the project, one is more suited than the other.

I personally think it's disrespect to encode another person's post, when it's their own opinions to discuss a topic openly and freely.

• Like 1

Why would you encode his post?

I personally have to agree with him(cssabc123). It depends on the project's needs when you decide a framework to work with. Whether it is Drupal or PW or Joomla depending on the project, one is more suited than the other.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that but that's not what cssabc123 expressed in his post, which actually started with "Drupal is better than PW".

Of course each is entitled to his/her own opinion, no problem, but when almost all of ones forum activity up until now consists of subtle or less than subtle trolling attempts there will be a time when people are fed up with it. Especially when there are no apparent signs of actually having tried PW, read some docs etc.

• Like 11

Of course each is entitled to his/her own opinion, no problem, but when almost all of ones forum activity up until now consists of subtle or less than subtle trolling attempts there will be a time when people are fed up with it. Especially when there are no apparent signs of actually having tried PW, read some docs etc.

Quite correct - the user has indeed begun to irritate me (and others, I'm sure). Fact of the matter is that the user signed up, started posting things all over the place about whether or not PW should be used - yet this discussion has been had so many times before. There are indeed signs that the user has tried PW, but not enough signs indicating that he/she read the docs.

For me, this is meant to be a high-quality discussion and support forum and, as such, I agree with the encoding of his two posts (which are exactly the same, for those who did not notice).

</thread>

• Like 9

I like your post and what you have said. But here, the situation seems to be a bit difficult. Have you read the more than 50 posts that the cssabc123 user has posted here in the last 5 days?

I remember moments when I came to the forums and have had a look to the "Recent Posts" Box that was full with only his posts. I understand this box as a way to get quick recognition, what is useful for new announcements or people who need "emergency" help. I can't remember a time where only one person has flooded it completly alone. (And there were times where I was online every day here) :)

• Like 6