Processwire corporate identity

theoretic

Hi all and thanks again for a perfect product!

I'm glad to see Processwire growing and becoming a strong, popular product. The new look of admin interface (uikit-based) is nice and minimalistic. Maybe it's the starting point to think about the consistent identity for the whole Processwire project.

The only thing which is more or less consistent now is the main Processwire color. Somewhate between red and maroon, I call it "Thai color" because it's very popular in Thailand. You meet this color at almost any page related to Processwire, and it's good because this color is very distinctive.

But what's about PW logo? There's no consistency. And, i'm unhappy to reveal it, the PW logo (at least the sign, not the text part) is not absolutely original.

There are at least three different Processwire logos:

1.  The text part of logo at PW homepage (and pure-textual logo in most admin themes, e.g. Reno).
  2. The sign part of logo present at PW homepage.
  3. The new logo (only sign, textless) present in the new Uikit admin theme.

For sure it's too much. A single, unique, consistent logo could be better.

As to the sign -- small b in circle -- just look at Beats Audio logo which is very similar. And even worse: there's a CMS which is very popular in Russia and called Bitrix, and it has a very similar logo.

So i would like to propose another vision of PW logo. Unique, original, but being inherited from current PW logos. It's only a first approach, will be glad to polish it in case of positive feedback. And thanks again for a great product!

screenshot.12-03-2017 09.43.34.png

screenshot.12-03-2017 09.43.43.png

• Like 2

First of all, so the whole post doesn't sound overly harsh and negative: It's great to see that you want to help out and change something, but the way you took might not have been the best one.

3 hours ago, theoretic said:

There are at least three different Processwire logos:
[…]
So i would like to propose another vision of PW logo. …

So now we have four of them. The problem the project does have in terms of corporate identity is not the lack of a good logo (our latest one present in the uikit theme is actually quite nice), but rather that it's hard to get things changed to one consistent look if there isn't one driving force behind that change with all the needed access. E.g. even just the processwire website has naturally grown to consist of about 4-5 destinct parts, which would need to be updated. And there's not only the logo, but the whole site could sport a freshed up look. It would clearly be nice to have those changes be done more quickly, but to be honest it's only Ryan who could lead the whole process to an end and he has a lot more than just this topic on his todo list. There's certainly willingness in the community to help out, but too many cooks spoil the broth and it'll still need Ryan to be involved in the process to at least lead the whole effort.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ottogal said:

Are you joking?

@ottogal Independently of the opportunity of this suggestion, It doesn't sound at all like @theoretic is joking, you can see that there is some thought and work in that logo either you like it or not. There's too much trolling going around the world these days, let's try to keep this little corner of ours a nice and constructive place. I'm not trying to bash you down, but please try to be a bit more explicit about what you didn't like when criticizing someone else's post.

@theoretic you might want to go through this thread to get a feeling of what was already discussed about this subject 

• Like 8

Thanks @LostKobrakai and @diogo ! Very reasonable thoughts from you both.

Agree that creating a whole new logo could be too radical. But the problem with non-uniqueness still exists. Maybe we need to do some facelifting to the freshest logo included in uikit admin theme. Will think about. @diogo , thanks for the link to the very interesting thread about PW branding, didn't read it before.

@LostKobrakai , special thanks for Your opinion about the main PW website. It works like a charm but is a bit outdated from the point of view of visual representation. Can try to draw some sketches on the subject if there will be some interest from the community.

Anyway we need to discuss all that because PW is an amazingly powerful and simple tool which truely deserves to be widely known and to have a better brand than now.

• Like 3

Dear all,

I want to apologize for my harsh comment which was a spontaneous reaction and not well thought-out.
I highly appreciate the spirit of this friendly community and didn't want to hurt anybody.
Those of you who have read more of my posts know that usually I try to be constructive and not a troll.

Best wishes
ottogal

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ottogal said:

Those of you who have read more of my posts know that usually I try to be constructive and not a troll.

Be sure that we are all aware of that here, it's just that newcomers don't and may take it the wrong way. I'm certain that @theoretic will appreciate your kind apology :)

• Like 1

@theoretic - Thank you for spending some time on this. Whether or not a logo decision has been made (which it has), it is great to see folks interested in the topic that are willing to contribute -- so thank you for that.

There's also a thread regarding a new website, which I opened in January last year for the purposes of sharing design ideas:

As mentioned by @LostKobrakai, Ryan will be spearheading this. With that said, please feel free to share any ideas you may have about the new site on that thread. (The two threads mentioned herein are the ones we should focus on to keep everything centralised.)

Thanks again for your input. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...