ryan

Module: Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo (TextformatterVideoEmbed)

Video embed for YouTube and Vimeo

ProcessWire Textformatter module that enables translation of YouTube or Vimeo URLs to full embed codes, resulting in a viewable video in textarea fields you apply it to.

How to install

• Copy the TextformatterVideoEmbed.module file to your /site/modules/ directory (or place it in /site/modules/TextformatterVideoEmbed/).
  • Click check for new modules in ProcessWire Admin Modules screen. Click install for the module labeled: "Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo".

How to use

• Edit your body field in Setup > Fields (or whatever field(s) you will be placing videos in). On the details tab, find the Text Formatters field and select "Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo". Save.
  • Edit a page using the field you edited and paste in YouTube and/or Vimeo video URLs each on their own paragraph.

Example

How it might look in your editor (like TinyMCE):

Here are two videos about ProcessWire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4XiYadV_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKnG7sikE-U

And here is a great video I watched earlier this week:

http://vimeo.com/18280328

How it works

This module uses YouTube and Vimeo oEmbed services to generate the embed codes populated in your content. After these services are queried the first time, the embed code is cached so that it doesn't need to be pulled again.

The advantage of using the oEmbed services is that you get a video formatted at the proper width, height and proportion. You can also set a max width and max height (in the module config) and expect a proportional video.

Configuration/Customization

You may want to update the max width and max height settings on the module's configuration screen. You should make these consistent with what is supported by your site design.

If you change these max width / max height settings you may also want to check the box to clear cache, so that YouTube/Vimeo oembed services will generate new embed codes for you.

Using with Markdown, Textile or other LML

I mostly assume you are using this with TinyMCE. But there's no reason why you can't also use this with something like Markdown or Textile. This text formatter is looking for a YouTube or Vimeo video URL surrounded by paragraph tags. As a result, if you are using Markdown or Textile (or something else like it) you want that text formatter to run before this one. That ensures that the expected paragraph tags will be present when TextformatterVideoEmbed runs. You can control the order that text formatters are run in by drag/drop sorting in the field editor.

Thanks to Pete for tuning me into these oEmbed services provided by YouTube and Vimeo a long time ago in another thread.

• Like 12

No probs, but not sure it was me that mentioned oembed ryan - think I said I'd build this module and then never did (there's a theme there ;)).

The good thing about oembed is that you don't rely on third party scripts/services and many services already support it - see Ryan's module code and you'll see YouTube and Vimeo's oembed URLs

As such, this module can easily be expanded upon to provide more services.

Michael, that looks interesting. Looks like a lot of cool possibilities there and I look forward to taking a closer look and seeing if there might be another module brewing in there. But I have to admit that I find the whole oEmbed thing a bit vulnerable, as it's letting another web site populate raw markup into your site. You must have a lot of trust in whoever you let do that. It's more sensitive than linking to another service's JS. I have that level of trust with YouTube and Vimeo. I suppose I need to convince myself that something like embed.ly doesn't seem like a potential security timebomb, because the potential is very cool. I'm going to spend some more time looking at it.

• Like 2

Can't wait to try this out! Thanks Ryan, incredibly useful.

This is great Ryan, thank you! My only comment is that Vimeo seems to default to https - for me at least. When I tried entering a url like

the formatter didn't seem to catch it. To my surprise I could see how to fix it by duplicating the vimeo section and adding changing it to https. Scary!
  • Like 1

Thanks Marty, I was wondering about https URLs, but hadn't yet seen any so figured they didn't use them. I have just updated the module to support them, so they should work now (vimeo or youtube).

Most of the time my customers want self hosted videos. Usually I give them a simple File-Field and embed the video with a <video> tag and include a javascript (mediaelementjs.com) with flash fallback for browsers without html5-video support.

Medialement.js even has a youtube plugin so you can Embed youtube videos like this:

<video width="640" height="360" id="player1" preload="none">
<source type="video/youtube" src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEw9iiopwI" />
</video>

I have not used this module yet, but maybe Medialement.js is a interesting option to include?

Mediaelement looks pretty cool, I actually have a use for this on another project and am glad to find out about it. I need to take a closer look to determine if this is something that fits the URL-to-embed code purpose of the module without stepping over the line on front-end dev. But it certainly fits with the name and purpose of the module.

Modal popups are a good idea, but things that might be better in one's front-end development rather than in a text formatting module, given that they are more site/need specific and involve linking to local javascript files and such. These common YouTube/Vimeo video embeds are pretty much universal to the point where one almost expects one of their URLs to convert to a player, so that's what the purpose is here. And that's the most likely way this module would grow (adding more services). Still, this module may be a good starting point for branching in less universal, more site specific needs, and I'd encourage extending it like that.

OT: Re: Embed.ly - They totally lost my trust with that reversed gradient on hover in navigation. Doh.

---

Also, Ryan, are you on fire or have you just finished million client projects? You seem to work 50 hours a day, lately.

He perfected his clone() function in PW and it now clones humans too ;)

Also, Ryan, are you on fire or have you just finished million client projects? You seem to work 50 hours a day, lately.

I wish that was me. You are thinking of Marty. :) I've not launched a bunch of projects lately, not by a long shot. The ones I posted about in Pub a month or two ago were done over a long period of time.

Oh Marty's on fire alright, but it seems that new things in PW are coming faster than usually lately, so I thought you have somewhat less client work or so.

• Like 2

Adam, you don't need to like yourself :D i can give you a like ;)

I saw that but didn't comment :D I've no idea why the software allows you to like yourself but it does...

I thought that was edit button, I'm mobile today. O tapped random thibgs to edit :D Somehow I made the reply text smaller as well.

I thought that was edit button, I'm mobile today.

Yeah yeah, we believe you ;)

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the Embed video module, but it doesn't work for me... I followed the documentation, but it failed and I keep wondering what I am doing wrong.

Here's my work :

• Module upload in 'site/modules/' > Check new module > installation
  • Setup > Fields > body > Details > Textformatters > Video embed
  • In my page body field, I have 2 Youtube links, but they stay as links (no embed...).

If you want to have a look at the page, here it is : http://flenglish.tux...s/the-alphabet/

Thanks for your concern ;-) (And sorry not to be able to find the answer myself...)

@celfred, you've got two problems in that example:

• YouTube links need to be alone in their own paragraphs, there shouldn't be any other content in same <p> tag -- try adding the descriptions below or above actual YT links (also: now they're in a list, which probably won't work either)
  • Don't make them actual hyperlinks; I might remember wrong, but IMHO that way they won't work -- just plain URL as a string without the <a> tag

I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 2

@teppo, Thank you for your help ! It works better now although I had tried doing this, but on the second link and it never worked. Actually, this second link still doesn't work. I've changed it with another equivalent video (for my purpose), and the new link works...

I can't tell what the problem is... If I copy and paste this link, the video is available...

If someone is interested in understanding the issue, here are my 3 Youtube links (preceded by https://www.youtube.com/ [to avoid the max number of media error I get posting in the Forum]):

1. watch?v=8-NeizIkHBY
  2. watch?v=Imum21-hdNg
  3. watch?v=dsO__o4Ezjw

Number 1 and number 3 : Video embed without any problem since I followed teppo's advice (in their own paragraph's tags).

Number 2 : no embed... Just a regular text...

Thanks again !

Again, if you want to see the original article : http://flenglish.tux...s/the-alphabet/

@celfred, either the video you're trying to embed has embedding disabled or this could be a problem (or feature, can't really tell yet) at YouTube. There's similar problem reported at the WordPress bug tracking system here: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14377.

This example you gave returns code 401 Unauthorized and this is what oembed.com has to say about this particular error code:

The specified URL contains a private (non-public) resource. The consumer should provide a link directly to the resource instead of any embedding any extra information, and rely on the provider to provide access control.

Will have to do some more testing later.. unless, of course, someone else knows a solution / answer to this problem already :)

• Like 2

I am having problems with this module. It seems to save the embed codes into the database, which is good. Bad thing is that it saves only one line there. This causes every video to be the same. It seems to fail on video_id part, since my only row in textformatter_video_embed table is this:

www.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9StIWIg03eM?fs=1&feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
2012-09-19 10:40:44

So it saves only www. as video_id and seems to that with every video. Is this problem only on my installation or are other experiencing the same? My url in textarea is in this format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9StIWIg03eM&feature=related
  • Like 2