netcarver

Database Counters Module

This module provides a very simple interface to a set of named counters. You simply call a single function, next('name'), to pull the next value out of a counter - or to set it up if it does not yet exist. Next() takes a few extra parameters to allow you to increment by values other than 1 or to start at a certain number.

This provides some similar functionality to the built-in page naming feature of PW, and to this module recently posted by Stikki but I think it offers a little more flexibility than either. Having said that, I do like the simplicity of Stikki's new auto-increment module.

Module Availability

Here is my module on Github.

Here it is in the module repository.

Example Usage

Here's how this module can be used to title and name a new page by adding a couple of simple hooks to site/ready.php. This example applies to new pages using a template called 'invoice' that can be quick-added to the page tree. In order to get the following to work, you must edit the template that will be the parent of the 'invoice' template and setup the template for children to "invoice" and set the "Name Format for Children" field to something other than the default blank value (I use  title  as my value.)

<?php

/**
 * Function to recognise our special template.
 */
function isInvoiceTemplate($template) {
    return ($template == 'invoice');
}

/**
 * Pre-load the page title for invoice pages with a unique value
 * which includes a counter component.
 */
$pages->addHookBefore("Pages::setupNew", function($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments(0);

$is_invoice = isInvoiceTemplate($page->template);
    $no_inv_num = $page->title == '';

if ($is_invoice && $no_inv_num) {
        $counter_name = 'WR-' . date('Y');
        $number = $this->modules->get('DatabaseCounters')->next($counter_name, 10, 5000);
        $page->title = $counter_name . '-' . sprintf("%06u", $number);
    }
});

/**
 * Prevent ProcessPageEdit from forcing an edit of the name if we got here
 * through a quickAdd from ProcessPageAdd. We can do this because we
 * preset the title field in the Pages::setupNew hook.
 */
$pages->addHookAfter("ProcessPageEdit::loadPage", function($event) {
    $page = $event->return;

$is_invoice = isInvoiceTemplate($page->template);
    $is_temp    = $page->hasStatus(Page::statusTemp);

if ($is_invoice && $is_temp) {
        $page->removeStatus(Page::statusTemp);
        $event->return = $page;
    }
});

Note, the above code + module is one direct solution to the problem posted here by RyanJ.

post-465-0-56264100-1459552276_thumb.png

post-465-0-67628000-1459552450_thumb.png

Version History

1.0.0 The initial release.

• Like 12

To extend the above example to hide the name, template and parent fields on the settings page of invoices, you can add the following to the ready.php snippet in the above post.

/**
 * Work out if the template's settings should be tweaked to hide things that should be fixed...
 */
function shouldHideTemplateSettings() {

// Super users retain super-setting-edit powers
    if (wire('user')->isSuperUser()) {
        return false;
    }

// Are we even editing a page?
    if (wire('page')->process != 'ProcessPageEdit') {
        return false;
    }

$id = (int) wire('input')->get('id');
    if (!$id) {
        return false;
    }

$editedPage = wire('pages')->get($id);
    if ($editedPage->template->flags & Template::flagSystem) {
        return false;
    }

if (!isInvoiceTemplate($editedPage->template->name)) {
        return false;
    }

return true;
}

/**
 * Hide some fields from the invoice settings page from non-super-users.
 * There's not much point allowing edits to the name field, so we want it immutable (at least) and probably totally
 * hidden (better.)
 * We don't want invoices being moved from their parent, so we hide the parent field.
 * We don't allow them to use a different template, so we hide the template field.
 */
if (shouldHideTemplateSettings()) {
    $pages->addHookAfter("ProcessPageEdit::buildFormSettings", function($event) {
        $wrapper = $event->return;

// To show the name field but make it immutable
        $wrapper->_pw_page_name->collapsed = Inputfield::collapsedNoLocked;
        $wrapper->_pw_page_name->description = '';

// Alternatively, to hide the name field do uncomment the following and comment out the 2 lines above
        //$wrapper->_pw_page_name->collapsed = Inputfield::collapsedHidden;

// Hide the template changer, invoices can only use the invoice template
        $wrapper->template->collapsed = Inputfield::collapsedHidden;

// Hide the parent page, as it is fixed in our page structure
        $wrapper->parent_id->collapsed = Inputfield::collapsedHidden;
    });
}
  • Like 6

Question of  setupNew page hook  

$pages->addHookBefore("Pages::setupNew"

Instead of creating page at the pw's back-end admin ui, will this page hook be executed if I create a page thru api manually ?

Besides of my last question,

I followed the op's setup, but it didn't work at atll

post-2272-0-32536000-1460864209_thumb.pn

post-2272-0-39834500-1460864219_thumb.pn

This is my  /site/ready.php

instead of invoice, i changed it to order

<?php

function isOrderTemplate($template) {
    return ($template == 'order');
}

$pages->addHookBefore("Pages::setupNew", function($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments(0);

$is_order = isOrderTemplate($page->template);
    $no_inv_num = $page->title == '';

if ($is_order && $no_inv_num) {
        $counter_name = 'ORDER-' . date('Y');
        $number = $this->modules->get('DatabaseCounters')->next($counter_name, 10, 5000);
        $page->title = $counter_name . '-' . sprintf("%06u", $number);
    }
});

$pages->addHookAfter("ProcessPageEdit::loadPage", function($event) {
    $page = $event->return;

$is_order = isOrderTemplate($page->template);
    $is_temp    = $page->hasStatus(Page::statusTemp);

if ($is_order && $is_temp) {
        $page->removeStatus(Page::statusTemp);
        $event->return = $page;
    }
});

When I checked back the DatabaseCounter module config,

there is no such a counter named ORDER-   was created

I'm curious, the

/site/ready.php

is not executed.

is there any other settings to activated it ?

None that I know of. Are you sure you have that file in the right place?

From second screen cap, how to make the invoice number (i.e.title field) not editable ?

Edit the template for your order pages in PW. Click on the title (invoice number) field and, on the input tab, set the visibility to whatever you need.

• Like 2

Hi, I was trying this module becuase I this is the solution for my needs, I cant not make it work.

When I click new page I get the same as adrianmak , Title and name are not autopopulated.

I know my ready.php is working fine because I was trying this code from another post and the field was being autopopulated with the generated title:

$this->pages->addHookAfter('added', function($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments[0];
    if($page->template != 'your-template-name') return;
    $page->setAndSave('title', 'my page - ' . date("YmdHis"));
});

I'am missing something?

@Krlos, just writing to acknowledge your post. Please could you send me your site/ready.php file via the forum message system so I could have a look at it tonight? (Please don't post it here.)

Hi, I was testing your module and decided to leave it for later. As recheck this part I will send a report.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, netcarver said:

Bump. @Krlos, did you get this working?