Marvin Scharle

Page Ratings

Hi everybody,

I'd like to share with you another new module. It helps you to manage user ratings for pages in a very simple way.

You can add a user rating to a certain page with a line of code:

$page->ratings->add(4)

If the user is logged in, the module remembers which page the user has rated for. For non-logged-in visitors, the module stores the pages, the user has rated, in the session. 

You can get a page's rating and its total amount of votes in a similar way:

$page->ratings->average;      // => 3.2
$page->ratings->count;        // => 5

For more information about this module, please check out its GitHub repository.

You can check out a working version of the module here: http://curium-cte.lightningpw.com

Edit: The module is now available in the ProcessWire modules directory.

Update: Ratings has been updated to version 1.1, including a new, simpler API accessor. 

As always - please comment for bugs or feature wishes.

Thanks in advance,

Marvin

Edited by Marvin Scharle
  • Like 20

Hi Nico,

nice question. I was unclear about this. 

Basically, the ratings are saved to the database, but the information about which pages the user has rated is stored in the session for guests. 

This is just how the module handles preventing guests rating the same page again after a short period of time. 

• Like 1

Hello again!

We've just updated Ratings to Version 1.1, which includes a simpler, more unified API.

You can access all API methods via the ratings property.

Examples:

$page->ratings->add(4);
$page->ratings->average;   // => 4.4
$page->ratings->count;     // => 12

The changes should appear soon in the ProcessWire modules directory. Please check out our GitHub repository for more details.

• Like 5

I am playing around with your module, using your example here. However I keep getting a "Use of undefined constant ​ - assumed" in my functions file at the closing line when including the "renderRating" function. I can't figure out. I am sure its user error. Any help is appreciated. Great module, thanks for sharing it.

This is up to you. The module doesn't generate markup so you could just trigger the PHP call when a user clicks on a star.

Theoretical, you fire a Javascript event when the users clicks the star together with the value (1,2,3,4,5) of the star. Then your code adds this rating.

Thank guys for this module - it was great to quickly set up a ratings system.

A couple of thoughts though.

1. I am not sure why it needs to be an autoload module - I'd rather you simply load it manually in a template file when you want to use it.
  2. I am not sure why it isn't simply a custom fieldtype that can be added to templates as needed - the way you have done it seems to work just fine, but the one issue I am having is that it can't be used as easily in all situations - for example, you can't select "rating" as an option when configuring a custom view with ListerPro. I am sure there are also other situations where it would be preferable to be a fieldtype, but maybe there are advantages to the approach you have taken that I am not thinking about.
  3. Of course if #2 is implemented, then #1 is no longer an issue :)

Any chance you'd consider a bit of a rewrite to make it a fieldtype? if not, please let me know and I'll put something together myself - just trying to avoid duplicate modules that do the same thing :)

Thanks for considering.

• Like 3

I am also looking for this as a fieldtype, because I have a Repeater field for different products with ratings.

Also I want to integrate this with the comments fieldtype.

How would I do that?

I found https://processwire.com/talk/topic/10107-fieldtypestarrating/ as an alternative, which is a fieldtype, but it doesn´t handle floats (average ratings) and has no option to use the star rating on the frontend (rating and saving to database).

• Like 2

I'd like this as fieldtype also.

Or does anyone has a hint how to place the ratingform/-field at the pageedit form in the be. Would like to integrate user ratings, e.g. in that way the user only sees his own rating to edit.

I'd like this as fieldtype also.

Or does anyone has a hint how to place the ratingform/-field at the pageedit form in the be. Would like to integrate user ratings, e.g. in that way the user only sees his own rating to edit.

I haven't played with it myself yet, but does this do what you want?

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/10829-comments-fieldtype-with-star-rating/

Well, partly yes, adrian. But it does much more, than I need. And I am not shure if taking features away is easier than building them up.

Nice module!

I would love to see a feature to allow adding unlimited votes using the api without binding to a user. So for example to put a review form on the site where people (not users!) could vote. Their submitted votes would be processed then using the add() method. Currently it doesn't work because once you use add(), you cannot add another vote with the same user.

Commenting out the body of the current() method in the module seems to work, but an official solution would be nice.

Nice module, I see I can get the current user's vote but what about a given user's vote?

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gebeer
      I am happy to present my new fieldtype FieldtypeImageFromPage. It is made up of 2 modules:
      Fieldtype Image Reference From Another Page is a Fieldtype that stores a reference to a single image from another page. The image can be selected with the associated Inputfield.
      Inputfield Select Image From Page is an Inputfield to select a single image from images on a predefined page and it's children.
      And there also is a helper module that takes care of cleanup tasks.
      This module evolved out of a discussion about my other Module FieldtypeImagePicker.  It caters for use cases where a set of images is being reused multiple times across a site. With this fieldtype these images can be administered through a chosen page. All images uploaded to that page will be available in the inputfield.
      When to use ?
      Let editors choose an image from a set of images that is being used site-wide. Ideal for images that are being re-used across the site.
      Suited for images that are used on multiple pages throughout the site (e.g. icons).
      Other than the native ProcessWire images field, the images here are not stored per page. Only references to images on another page are stored. This has several advantages:
      one central place to organize images when images change, you only have to update them in one place. All references will be updated, too. (Provided the name of the image that has changed stays the same) Features
      Images can be manipulated like native ProcessWire images (resizing, cropping etc.) Image names are fully searchable through the API Accidental image deletion is prevented. When you want to delete an image from one of the pages that hold your site-wide images, the module searches all pages that use that image. If any page contains a reference to the image you are trying to delete, deletion will be prevented. You will get an error message to help you edit those pages and remove references there before you can finally delete the image. How to install and setup
      Download and install this module like any other modules in ProcessWire Create a page in the page tree that will hold your images. This page's template must have an images field Upload some images to the page you created in step 2 Create a new field. As type choose 'Image Reference From Another Page'. Save the field. In 'Details' Tab of the field choose the page you created in step 2 Click Save button Choose the images field name for the field that holds your images (on page template from step 2) Click Save button again Choose whether you want to include child pages of page from step 2 to supply images Add the field to any template You are now ready to use the field View of the inputfield on the page edit screen:

View of the field settings

The module can be installed from this github repo. Some more info in the README there, too.
      In my tests it was fairly stable. After receiving your valued feedback, I will eventually add it to the modules directory.
      My ideas for further improvement:
      - add ajax loading of thumbnails
      Happy to hear your feedback!

• By gebeer
      Although the PW backend is really intuitive, ever so often my clients need some assistance. Be it they are not so tech savvy or they are not working in the backend often.
      For those cases it is nice to make some help videos available to editors. This is what this module does.
      ProcessHelpVideos Module
      A Process module to display help videos for the ProcessWire CMS. It can be used to make help videos (screencasts) available to content editors.
      This module adds a 'Help Videos" section to the ProcessWire backend. The help videos are accessible through an automatically created page in the Admin page tree. You can add your help videos as pages in the page tree. The module adds a hidden page to the page tree that acts as parent page for the help video pages. All necessary fields and templates will be installed automatically. If there are already a CKEditor field and/or a file field for mp4 files installed in the system, the module will use those. Otherwise it will create the necessary fields. Also the necessary templates for the parent help videos page and it's children are created on module install. The module installs a permission process-helpvideos. Every user role that should have access to the help video section, needs this permission. I use the help video approach on quite a few production sites. It is stable so far and well received by site owners/editors. Up until now I installed required fields, templates and pages manually and then added the module. Now I added all this logic to the install method of the module and it should be ready to share.
      The module and further description on how to use it is available on github: https://github.com/gebeer/ProcessHelpVideos
      If you like to give it a try, I am happy to receive your comments/suggestions here.
    • By Robin S
      A module created in response to the topic here:
      Page List Select Multiple Quickly
      Modifies PageListSelectMultiple to allow you to select multiple pages without the tree closing every time you select a page.
      The screencast says it all:

https://github.com/Toutouwai/PageListSelectMultipleQuickly
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/page-list-select-multiple-quickly/
    • By gebeer
      Hello all,
      sharing my new module FieldtypeImagePicker. It provides a configurable input field for choosing any type of image from a predefined folder.
      The need for it came up because a client had a custom SVG icon set and I wanted the editors to be able to choose an icon in the page editor.
      It can also be used to offer a choice of images that are used site-wide without having to upload them to individual pages.
      There are no image manipulation methods like with the native PW image field.
      Module and full description can be found on github https://github.com/gebeer/FieldtypeImagePicker
      Kudos to @Martijn Geerts. I used his module FieldTypeSelectFile as a base to build upon.
      Here's how the input field looks like in the page editor:

Hope it can be of use to someone.
      If you like to give it a try, I'm happy to hear your comments or suggestions for improvement. Eventually this will go in the module directory soon, too.
    • By bernhard
      @Sergio asked about the pdf creation process in the showcase thread about my 360° feedback/survey tool and so I went ahead and set my little pdf helper module to public.
      Description from PW Weekly:

Modules Directory: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/rock-pdf/
      Download & Docs: https://github.com/BernhardBaumrock/RockPDF

You can combine it easily with RockReplacer: 
      See also a little showcase of the RockPdf module in this thread: