Project Management for Developers: How you do it?

Vineet Sawant

I really think the ideal situation would be to have a half day job ( like from 08:00 till 13:00 o'clock ) that can support your living in paying the rent, food etc and then in the afternoon make websites with pw, explore the market, find customers and find out how to charge and get payed. Untill you make enough money with websites and you can quit your half day job. I had such a half day job once but didn't value it the way I do that now. Can kill my self for that now because now I have a full day job and have hardly the time to realize my dream to become and independent website maker/seller. Any tips and advice welcome here.

It is a difficult situation pwired. I guess all you can do is sacrifice your evenings and weekends to some extent, even though your brain may be fried by the 9-5 work.

I think to get back into the half-and-half situation again you need to to the extra work whenever you can to build up the client base and enough money to go back to half-and-half. Not sure how else you would do it.

• Like 1

I think this can be done not only over the internet but also locally where you live. Everywhere, also where you live locally, there are still a lot of companies, offices, businesses, police stations, hospitals, doctors, dentists, garages, plumbers, transporters, etc, etc. etc.

who are without their website. Make a list of every company, office, business, etc that you can find in your neighborhood. Contact them by phone, email, jump in your car and pay them a visit and ask for the manager. Offer them your service to present their business on the internet. Even if they say they already have a website offer them to upgrade their website in 2 or more languages.

That is what I have started to do locally.

Anywhere I drive, I see a vehicle advertising some business. Sometimes they have a URL, sometimes not. I usually get a photo to remind myself later. I save the photo with some information to my Evernote account. I have over 40 photos in there right now, of local area businesses, address, phone numbers, etc. I have categorized most of those businesses into categories and plan on building several turnkey websites and sell them. Most are restaurants, landscaping, home maintenance & general repairs.

When I lived in Fort Worth TX, I knew a fellow who was quite successful with this idea.

He recently had some great luck with selling one for a bar/restaurant. Anytime he went out to eat, he took a few notes and implemented a new feature to the website. He spent a few months building it in his spare time. When it was ready, it was put online. Then he visited the bars and restaurants that did NOT have a website, and gave them the URL and his email address. It was a fun bidding war :) 

He didn't tell me exactly how much he made on that one sale, but did mention it was over $4,000.

I was impressed! :) 

... if you have no other choice than accept lower rates for low-level jobs but never advertise that you've worked on this projects and never tell everybody. they simply doesn't exist ...

I agree with this.

I'm not as good as my buddy in Fort Worth. I'm still learning PHP at a snails pace. My front-end skills are well rounded. I am having a tough time getting businesses around here to understand the value of advertising their business on the Internet. One gentleman was content with spending a few thousand dollars per year on print advertising. I can't understand his logic :( I do visit him from time to time, but he is a stubborn mule, lol.

When in Fort Worth, I would regularly bill between $2,000-3,000 per site. Now I'm lucky to have someone agree to $1,000.

It's quite a slap in the face :( 

I totally agree with totoff on this, don't tell others about the lower rates you've had to settle for.

"Why are you charging me $2,000 when you charged him $1,000?"

It's tough for customers/clients to understand they are paying for your experience, knowledge and skill set.

• 1 month later...

I've recently started using

https://asana.com/

Works great.

Asana's great but if you don't have enough people using it properly it ends up being one of those things you drop and end up going back to more traditional means (pen & paper). I still hope to get there but it's hard pushing a system when the other people don't want to know ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Being a freelance web developer myself I have always felt the need of a project management software to manage my projects. Thus for the past one year I have been using proofhub to manage my projects and to collaborate and communicate with different clients effectively and efficiently. 

Edited by diogo
removed link

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Beluga,

Thanks for sharing that link. Very interesting.

I've made a basic PM tool using PW, I'll be expanding it little more for a client's project. I'll post it here once it's ready.

For now it's just a simple task management system.

If anyone's interested, feel free to contact me, I've a demo online which I'm using to manage my company's projects.

Have a great day!

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
I've made a basic PM tool using PW, I'll be expanding it little more for a client's project. I'll post it here once it's ready.

For now it's just a simple task management system.

If anyone's interested, feel free to contact me, I've a demo online which I'm using to manage my company's projects.

OH ME, ME, PICK ME!!!

To get back to the topic of tools we are using:

Trello for the general project management. Each customer or projects gets a board.

Metanet Webhosting for E-Mails to communicate with customers.

Dropbox so share and sync files in a team folder

Slack as a tool to combine al possible other channels and to chat together. It's new but we like it.

Our custom CRM to track customers and make bills/qutations

2-weekly meetings to discuss and review stuff.

• Like 2