I'm considering switching my daily driver computer to Linux (for the 20th time)

1 hour ago, FireWire said:

I don't remember it being difficult, everything works as well as it did when I was on Ubuntu. Odd that it gave you trouble. I installed Docker then DDEV then done.

Don't remember the exact packages but some weren't available at all, some broken... it was a disaster. Stayed on Manjaro for a few weeks on, even a big update didn't fix it. So I moved on.

Right now the latest minimal i3 .iso is loading and Gnome Boxes is ready for test-drive. Perfect sunday evening. 😎

Update:
Maybe I'm sold on Manjaro again. Installed the i3 and Gnome version in Boxes and even the Gnome version was way faster there than the native/bare-metal Ubuntu-version of Gnome.

Installing DDEV on Manjaro is even easier than on Ubuntu now:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S docker
yay -Syyu ddev-bin
sudo usermod -aG docker $USER
sudo systemctl start docker.service
sudo systemctl enable docker.service
reboot

AND... everything looks way more polished in Gnome now.
Will keep the VM for a while and work on some projects there.

That's insane how good Manjaro became (compared to Ubuntu and Fedora).

1073989150_Screenshotfrom2024-06-1622-50-56-opt.thumb.png.f9ef3ad86e83331486439ddd47e928a8.png

Edited by wbmnfktr
added update to Manjaro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wbmnfktr said:

the Gnome version was way faster there than the native/bare-metal Ubuntu-version of Gnome

Best Gnome I've ever used for sure.

1 hour ago, wbmnfktr said:

Installing DDEV on Manjaro is even easier than on Ubuntu now:

NICE. Glad you got it working!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FireWire said:

Mad respect. I wish I could live on this level of bleeding edge. Feels like I'm watching a someone drive by in a Porsche 911 GT2 from behind the fence at a daycare playground 🤣

It is actually not that wild. Once you got the hang of the terminology, config file structure and basics of nix lang, it is fun setting up your machine. And in the case I had to move to a different machine quickly, all is setup exactly as I need it with copying over the config files and issueing one command.

• Like 2

+1 for Manjaro from me 🙂

I decided to make the jump to Linux again during Covid, with Windows 7 reaching EOL. Did some distro-hopping for a while and landed on Manjaro Cinnamon Community Edition. You basically get the stability of Mint with the rolling release model of the Manjaro / Arch ecosystem with this one.

Manjaro Gnome is very polished, but during my time with it I got really annoyed with extensions breaking on every update, and some other qol issues.

Cinnamon is just solid as a rock. Nemo is a fantastic file manager with tons of extensions, ddev-bin from the AUR works right out of the box. If there's issues with system updates, you pretty much always find the answers in the official announcements. Also the Manjaro forums and Arch Wiki are great places to find help on pretty much anything.

Also, if you're doing a lot of RAW photo editing, darktable is a great option once you get past the initial confusion. It runs ten times faster than LR and I couldn't imagine ever going back at this point.

Lots of options! Good luck and and yay for FOSS! 👍

P.S. Attaching a screenshot with Code OSS and DDEV running on a dual head setup. Don't forget you can CSS your actual desktop environment 🤪

Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-06-17 12-20-00.png

• Like 4

Manjaro here as well - though I have had a few issues with updates due to an AUR dependency on an obscure qt5 package that left things broken and pacman non-runnable. Had to use a staticly linked version of pacman to fix things.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, netcarver said:

though I have had a few issues with updates due to an AUR dependency on an obscure qt5 package that left things broken and pacman non-runnable.

Sorry to hear that @netcarver- glad you found a solution.

One thing I would strongly suggest when running Manjaro on a production machine is to choose BTRFS as file system during installation, and then make sure timeshift-autosnap-manjaro is installed. This way you get an automatic BTRFS snapshot of your system files on every update, that you can restore or directly boot into from GRUB.

• Like 3

@netcarver I keep a backup drive connected when I'm at my desk and also use Timeshift as well as Back In Time.

Timeshift, as @Andi recommends, is set up to snapshot the system as often as hourly when needed and every time I execute a package command including install/update/uninstall with timeshift autsnap. I keep snapshots for X number of hours/days/weeks/months. If you're running EXT4 it's all done easily with an external drive.

Back in time for user file snapshots at 30min intervals. Being able to grab a file at an earlier version with pretty granular diffs is great.

Samsung 990 Pro internal + T9 external, fastest snapshots ever 😎

• Like 2

Thanks @FireWire, @Andi Actually, that dependency problem broke both timeshift and pacman - so I had to resort to...

# SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pacman-static -Syu

to skip timeshift snapshots (I'm using BTRFS) and use the staticly linked version of pacman. Also removed the offending AUR install of cutycapt-qt5-git and qt5-webkit, and now all is good.

• Like 2