TemplateEditor

Nico Knoll

Hi,

I wrote a new module this evening:

Template Editor

This module adds the possibility to edit and rename template files directly from the backend.

Requirement:

It's important to have this module installed and PW 2.2 running.

Download: http://modules.proce...emplate-editor/

Edited by Nico Knoll
Added the "module" tag and removed it from title.
  • Like 7

Looks great Nico. Just a couple small suggestions:

1. Rather than using $_POST, it's better to use $this->input->post or wire('input')->post, because it's always possible that $_POST could be affected by the server's magic_quotes setting.

2. When loading or writing to a file, add some extra validation so that someone can't hack through it and start viewing and modifying other files on the server. Example of one way you could do it:

$name = $this->config->paths->templates . $this->sanitizer->name(basename($this->input->get->file)); 
if(!is_file($name)) throw new WireException("Template file not found"); 

3. Your execute() method returns a form witha 'delete' action, but I can't see any implementation of that?

Great module!

I have one itsy-bitsy problem with it which is to do with the way I have been constructing templates.

My "templates.php" files are all in the template directory (obviously) but their inner workings are in a directory called "includes" and I can't get to them.

Would there be anyway of being able to access subfolders?

Joss

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey Nico,

I was just testing this out and get several PHP warnings and the template files show up blank.

Warning: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /xxx/site/modules/TemplateEditor/TemplateEditor.module on line 77

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /xxx/site/modules/TemplateEditor/TemplateEditor.module on line 78

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /xxx/site/modules/InputfieldAceEditor/InputfieldAceEditor.module on line 126

Let me know if I can provide any other debug info.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just tested this module again myself. The issue is most likely with file permissions. Not that you should necessarily leave it this way permanently, but try chmod'ing everything in your templates folder to 0777. If they are still blank, then you might have fopen disabled somewhere in your php config. Let us know how you go with these two options.  

It really depends on the owner of those files and also the user that PHP is running as. Chances are you don't need to set them to 777. You should be able to set them to the same setting as the site/assets/ and site/config.php when you installed PW and also the modules directory, if you installed ModulesManager. Basically you need to set it to the lowest level that allows it to work, which would be write access for the owner (assuming the owner matches the php user. Does that make sense?

If you are worried about security, you could ask your host about running PHP under SuExec and CGI.