louisstephens

Setting up Processwire using Runcloud

I was going to start working on a new site for myself and wife (a new hobby we have taken up), and had decided to try out Runcloud and Digital Ocean. I got my drop set up on digital ocean, as well as setting up various hooks/databases etc between github and run cloud. However, now I have hit a wall. 

I cloned my "blank" repository into my local host (managed through MAMP) and dropped in a fresh install of PW, but now I have no idea of how to move forward. Is it best to just work locally, and then push this into a branch, and when ready, change branches and commit all to run cloud? Run cloud gives me an IP address to use for the database, but I can't get my localhost setup to recognize (I just get "Connection refused"). I am also unsure how to actually get my commits to push to run cloud, and handling the new set up.

I am probably in over my head, but I thought I would try something new as a good learning experience. However, now I am just drowning :P . Hopefully someone has some ideas on how to approach this, as I am very eager to get under way.

• Like 1

You can upload your site files after zip, via scp also

scp local_site.zip runcloud@server-ip-address:webapps/your-web-app-path/

If you read documentation, database section you can see the answer : https://runcloud.io/docs/server/database.html#rc-docs-scroll

You need to add 3306/tcp port, like here.

59c69c78738df_EkranResmi2017-09-2320_39_34.thumb.png.3dc0eafff4a8b6613297dd999b5b8413.png

after add port to your firewall settings, you can connect your database with your server ip from anywhere. You can use Sequel Pro app for connect to your database.

After you done with database, don't forget to remove 3306/tcp port!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd say develop locally (use local database). To me, having a permanent ~70x2=140ms round-trip delay at every operation would be a frustrating experience.

Using custom git hooks you can export & import sql databases from local <-> remote setups. Once the template & field infrastructure is complete you can utilize page import export feature to exchange pages between local & remote as well.  

Thanks everyone for the help. I got a bit turned around and was struggling with digitalocean, when I should have been interacting with runcloud as my "dashboard". Ill let everyone know how my setup turns out once I get to it this morning.

Didn't know this tool, seems much more equipped than Server Pilot, am I being fare in this comparison?

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By modifiedcontent
      I have one central website, with membership registration and content etc., and then several related websites with their own URL/domains, each on Processwire, all on the same server.
      I would like to access the database of the central website from the sister websites. How would I do that?
      You can't bootstrap one PW installation into another. You can include template parts from one in the other by just using the server path, but whatever you try to get/post just comes/goes to the database of the site you are on.
      Could you switch databases by including the config.php from another PW installation somewhere?
      What is the correct, secure way to do this?
    • By answersmode
      Please help me........
      DATABASE CONNECTION PROBLEM  - CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS `lwteswm664_ltingesjfo_itbd` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;
      Error
      SQL query:

-- -- Database: `lwteswm664_ltingesjfo_itbd` -- CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS `lwteswm664_ltingesjfo_itbd` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;  
      MySQL said:
      #1044 - Access denied for user 'newhost'@'localhost' to database 'lwteswm664_ltingesjfo_itbd' 

I'm facing this peoblem in my website xxxxx and xxxxx When I wanted to upload my databaz backup file.
      Now what can I do?
      Please help me........

• By thmsnhl
      Hi everybody,
      we started our first Processwire driven project in my new company and for the first time, I was working on one site with more than 2 colleagues on the same site.
      It didn't take long for us to stumble across some problems when multiple developers work at the same time, conflicts with updating the database on vagrant machines, like duplicate entries for page IDs, errors when setting up fields and stuff like this. We ended up working on a dedicated database server, that we linked to our vagrant machines and most of the problems were gone, but the performance of this constellation is really bad compared to our first approach with database running on vagrant machines.
      I already tried to find a solution in the forums but I couldn't find anyone with problems like this.
      So I was wondering: how do you manage projects with multiple developers on vagrant machines in a git-based workflow?
    • By hezmann
      Hi!  I've just started on ProcessWire, coming from Wordpress.  I've done several sites in WP but this new one is just to data driven for Wordpress to handle without so many plugins and custom code it just seemed like there must be a better option so here I am.  I used to do a lot of stuff in Access (many years ago) and have some experience with PHP/MySQL.
      I've had a look at a few tutorials and created the planets website etc.  I have a specific structure that I'm looking to create so thought I would ask for some expert advice before making every mistake in the book.
      I do a lot of long distance (inn to inn) walking and am always looking for new ones which involves searching many different sites.  I've yet to find a good repository for this type of thing so thought I would build my own.  The basic structure is (more info added later but trying to get basic idea of best practices):

Walks -> Walk Variations <->Walk Segments <-> Walk Towns (go into Walk Segments as Start and End Towns).
      Walks <->Links
      Walk Towns <-> Accomodation, Walk Towns <-> Dining
      Should I be using ProFields?  How should I structure this as far as fields/templates?
      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Heather