Recurme – Processwire Recurring Dates Field & Custom Calendar Module.

joshuag

Introducing our newest [commercial] module:

Recurme
Processwire Recurring Dates Field & Custom Calendar Module.

http://www.99lime.com/modules/recurme/

One Field to Recur them ALL…
A Recurring Dates InputField for your Processwire templates. The InputField you’ve been waiting for.
Complex RRule date repeating in a simple and fast user interface.

Use the super simple, & powerful API to output them into your templates.

example:

<?
	// easy to get recurring events
	$events = $recurme->find();
	// events for this day
	$events = $recurme->day();
	// events for this week
	$events = $recurme->week();
	// events for this month
	$events = $recurme->month();
?>
<?
	// Loop through your events
	foreach($events as $event){
		echo $event->title;
		echo $event->start_date;
		echo $event->rrule;
		echo $event->original->url;
	}
?>

Unlimited Custom Calendars.
Imagine you could create any calendar you wanted on your website. Use recurring events with the Recurme field, or use your own Processwire pages and date fields to render calendars… it’s up to you. Fully customizable. Make as many calendars as you like. Get events from anywhere. Recurme does all the hard date work for you.

Unlimited Custom Admin Calendars too.

Hope you like it :) ,

Joshua & Eduardo from 99Lime.

ss-recurme.png

Unknown.png

ss-admin1.png

ss-recurme5.png

ss-admin5.thumb.png.434d6cd178d8fab47f3efa4e3437f604.png

## [1.0.1] - 2017-05-29
### changed
- Fixed $options[weekStartDay] offset in Calendar
- Fixed ->renderCalendar() Blank Days
- Fixed missing ->renderList() [renderMonth][xAfter]
- Removed ->renderCalendar() <table> attributes border, border-spacing
- Fixed ->renderCalendar() excluded dates
- Fixed rrule-giu.js exclude dates
- Fixed ->renderList missing space in attr ID
(shout out to @Juergen for multiple suggestions & feedback).

• Like 28

Wow, this looks amazing! I've been wishing someone would make a full-featured PW calendar module for a while now and this looks like it fits the bill. So thanks! :)

A question: it looks like it's possible to disable an occurrence of an event, but is it possible to create a one-off variation of an occurrence? For example, if there is a weekly yoga class on a Tuesday but on one particular week it has to move to Wednesday, can I locate that occurrence and edit it individually? Similar to this, from Lightning calendar...

2017-05-20_125245.png.8ec96d1912393353f600b311fd99c5e1.png

P.S. the links on the 99lime.com home page to "Responsive Menu" and "ProcessWire Go" are non-functional.

• Like 1

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your kind words. 

To answer your question, no there is no "edit this occurance" button... although we have gone back and forth on that one for a while. However, you can still get the desired effect by duplicating your event for just that special instance and removing the occurance from the original. You basically are just doing the job of the "edit this occurance" button manually. 

The next release of Recurme will include selecting multiple additional dates to add to a recurrence. That will also solve your needs nicely. :)

Hope that makes sense. 

Happy coding. 

• Like 2

great job!

i already did a calendar using https://fullcalendar.io/ but without recurring events (thats a lot more difficult do implement and i see you also had to set a hard max of 2800 so far...). i guess you can count me to your customers before end of may ;)

1) is the calendar custom css? can it easily be adopted to other styles/themes?

2) is there drag&drop support for events? i build this on fullcalendar+pw. but it's not a must have...

• Like 1

Hi bernhard, 

Super easy to style via CSS or override any CSS you want. All interactions are CSS animations or transitions as well. Or use custom HTML. Also, no need to use the built in calendar. You could easily use recurring events with fullcalendar using the event API. No drag and drop support on the recurme calendar. The calendar is more for displaying your events than managing them... although it has modal window event editing. 

We have a solution in the works for beating the 2800 limit we set. Hope to get that out in the next couple updates. 

Happy coding!

Looks really amazing.

One question: Is there the possibility to limit an event to a certain endtime or to a certain date? Fe event starts at 6am and ends at 9am or an event goes over midnight (multiple days event)

From the images above it seems that it will always be a whole day event.

Best regards and respect for this work.

• Like 1

@Juergen Currently, you can set the event start date and hour, but there is no end time field for a specific event. You can add an end_time field to your event (or whatever it's called) template if you wanted to output that it starts at 6pm and ends at 9pm, for example. 

There are no facilities for spanning multiple days with a single event. In most cases such as a 3 day event, we just repeat the event for those 3 days in a row so that it displays on the calendar for the 3 consecutive days. Then In our event template we create a description field to describe the exact details of the event.

You can add any fields you want to your template. 

With a little custom CSS for your event, you could make it very clear that it's a unified event that spans more than one day  

I am very interested in coming up with a way to include spanning multiple days with the recurme interface in an easy to use format, but for now, repeating the event has covered our use cases pretty well. Maybe that would work for you. 

Only just a thought:

It would make more sense to offer only the possibillity to enter just a start date without a time. If there is a start time, there should also be an endtime. So if you remove the time setting from the inputfield for the date it means there is an event on that date which is all day long.

If there is a need to restrict an event via a start and end time we can add 2 PW time fields to the template. This is the case if there is fe a course the starts and ends at a certain time. This looks better than using the time field from the module field for the starting time and another time field from another PW field type for the endtime (2 different fieldtypes with different looks).

Another case would be that a store is fe closed on that day (inventory or something else). The shop is closed the whole day. So there is no need to enter a start time - it is an all day event. We dont need a start time in this case.

Conclusion: I think a date only field without the possibility to add the time would be a better fitting solution in this case. If you want you can add 2 time fields to the template or not (depending on your needs). No mixin of 2 different fields necessary.

Best regards

• Like 1

Is modifying the recurring tabular list below the RRule definition currently the only way to exclude dates in the exclusion? We pay for a (rather poorly implemented) calendar that has a GUI mini-calendar selection to create a list of dates to exclude. Love this calendar, but I'd be fearful of removing/changing something that our staff (not highly computer literate) is used to - so just curious.

Thanks for providing this! RRule is a confusing thing to implement in a database!

• Like 1

Yes, currently it is the only way. I dislike how it is currently refreshing the whole recurme field when a date is excluded. Something that I have on my list to improve. Even so, we have had really good success with our users (clients) excluding dates this way.

Have you tried the live example of the Recurme field on the website? 
http://www.99lime.com/modules/recurme/iframe-demo/

Now, you have given me a new idea for handling exclusions that I think could be more elegant. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi @joshuag, I'm noticing strange behaviour when I create a recurring event.

For some reason the initial event occurs on the start date, but then another event is added the following day and all the recurrences are based on that second event. See the screenshots below where the intial event is set for a Tuesday and to recur every 7 days but the events recur on a Wednesday.

2017-05-28_163749.thumb.png.5ed2b8b59b183f9d18ededcf724c7bdd.png

2017-05-28_163849.thumb.png.24358704483663c55c18cbadc0151080.png

Here is a little Hook that I use to add the last date of recurring events to the end of publication field.

Please copy this piece of code into your ready.php file.

//dates = name of your recurring field - please change it to your field name
//publish_until = name of your end of publication field - please change it to your field name

// hook to add the publish_until date according to the last event date
$pages->addHookAfter('saveReady', function($event)
{
    $page = $event->arguments[0];
    if ($page->hasField('dates')) {
      $dates = $page->getDates(); 
      if($dates){    
      foreach($dates as $key=>$date){
         if ($key === key($dates))
        $enddateunformatted = $date;
      }
      $page->publish_until = $enddateunformatted;
      $enddateformatted = date('d-m-Y', $date);
      $this->message($this->_("The end date of the publication was set to {$enddateformatted}."));
      }
    }
});

In my case I use the the SchedulePagesModule to unpublish pages after a certain date. In this case the date field for unpublishing pages is called "publish_until". My recurme field in this case is called "dates". You have to add both fields to your template.

Now I want to copy the last date of the recurring events to the "publish_until" field, so that the article will be unpublished after the last recurrence.

For this purpose you have to add the code above to your ready.php file. If you have named the fields differently than "publish_until" and "dates" you have to replace this by your names.

In a first step I check if the template has the recurme field "dates". If yes then I check if there are events generated. The last step is to grab the last occurence and add this date to the end of the publication field ("publish_until") - finished!

After pressing the save button the last ocurrence date will be saved in the publish_until field and the article will be unpublished after this date.

Best regards

• Like 6

11 hours ago, joshuag said:

setting your $config->timezone should resolve this problem as mentioned

Yes, I have my timezone set correctly in config.

Not sure what caused that issue but after removing the Recurme field from the template, adding it back again and setting up the event again it is working normally now. So case closed for now, thanks. :)

On 5/24/2017 at 0:27 AM, Juergen said:

Only just a thought:

It would make more sense to offer only the possibillity to enter just a start date without a time. If there is a start time, there should also be an endtime. So if you remove the time setting from the inputfield for the date it means there is an event on that date which is all day long.

If there is a need to restrict an event via a start and end time we can add 2 PW time fields to the template. This is the case if there is fe a course the starts and ends at a certain time. This looks better than using the time field from the module field for the starting time and another time field from another PW field type for the endtime (2 different fieldtypes with different looks).

Another case would be that a store is fe closed on that day (inventory or something else). The shop is closed the whole day. So there is no need to enter a start time - it is an all day event. We dont need a start time in this case.

Conclusion: I think a date only field without the possibility to add the time would be a better fitting solution in this case. If you want you can add 2 time fields to the template or not (depending on your needs). No mixin of 2 different fields necessary.

Best regards

I agree with @Juergen on the start/end time input workflow with separate time input fields.

Would like to use this module for a room occupancy calendar. @joshuag Is it possible with your module to have multiple events for one day with start and end times that recur daily/weekly/monthly? E.g.
17.00 - 19.00 every Monday
19.00 - 21.00 twice a month on Mondays
etc.

• Like 1

hello @gebeer

it is possible to add as much dates as you want to one day (fe. 100 or more if you want). You only have to create one event (page) for each of your events and make them recurring to your needs. So from the module there are no restrictions. It also doesnt matter if the starting and ending time of several events are the same on the same day. On the calendar view only few events are displayed for this day (depending on the space in the calendar row - see next image on the 6th). All others will be overflown.

Screenshot_2.jpg.c1a707711ac4e46b408ed85e44f9e623.jpg

After hovering the calendar cell all events on that day will be displayed.

Screenshot_3.jpg.7bcbf8b105828b3088ed75ef56fbb298.jpg

If you are entering fe 100 events on that day (and I am sure you would probably not ;)) the list will be very long, but technically it would be possible.

There are a lot of recurrence possiblilities fe. the first and the last day of a month every second monday every month,.... take look at the documentation.

Jürgen

• Like 4

Hi @gebeer

like @Juergen said, you should have no problem doing what you need with Recurme. Perfect use case for this module :)

i am experimenting with an adjustment to the Recurme interface to account for all day events and time-end field. Hoping to release an update that addresses that need this week. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

@totoff Great question. You could actually use Recurme with full calendar if you like. 

Example event object from full calendar: https://fullcalendar.io

$('#calendar').fullCalendar({
    events: [
        {
            title  : 'event1',
            start  : '2010-01-01'
        },
        {
            title  : 'event2',
            start  : '2010-01-05',
            end    : '2010-01-07'
        },
        {
            title  : 'event3',
            start  : '2010-01-09T12:30:00',
            allDay : false // will make the time show
        }
    ]
});

This would be easy to output with recurme using the API:

$FCEvents = array();
$events = $recurme->day();
foreach($events as $event){
	$FCEvents[] = array(
		'title' =>  $event->title,
		'start' => 	$event->start_date,
	);
}

Print your array as javascript. And use the built in views in full calendar. 

• Like 3

Works also with UiKit calendar and Bootstrap calendar if you are using a framwork. If you are using UiKit calendar you can make fe a template which outputs all the calendar dates in a json array. Then you can load this template (or lets say the event dates) via ajax into the UiKit calendar template engine. Its very easy.

• Like 2