ProcessWire Conference 2013 / London / Cambridge

ryan

One of my clients specializes in putting on conferences/summits around the world, primarily focused on architecture and sustainable design. I mentioned to them how some users here (starting with Netcarver) had expressed interest in a ProcessWire meetup or conference in the UK. This client does conferences in the UK every year and they are extremely enthusiastic about ProcessWire and interested in helping us to put on a conference by letting us collaborate with their conference and share the same venues and accommodations. This would help us benefit from their expertise in putting on conferences (which they've done for more than a decade), as well as help [significantly] on costs in reserving the venues, food, hotels. I have worked with this client since 1994 (18 years), so have a very high level of trust with them.

The conference would be in August 2013 and be 1.5 days in London at a major ad agency, then we'd step on a train for an hour or so and do the rest of the conference in Cambridge at Kings College for another 1.5 days (total 3 days). This would be a small but relatively formal conference with presentations and workshops covering everything ProcessWire, design and web development. We'd cover topics at a higher level than you'd find anywhere else in the world. I don't yet have an idea on costs except to say that we'd find a way to make it accessible to as large of an audience as possible, and it would be completely non profit, food and accommodations (for those that wanted it) included. Yet, it'd still be higher class and more personal than any other webdev conference.

This is about a year out, so I'm interested in finding out who'd be interested in this. Please 'like' or reply to this post if you would be interested in attending (or presenting) at this conference.

• Like 19

I'd like to be there, cost-permitting. There'll be an addition to my family to consider (about 7 months old) but I'd like to be there if there's a lot of interest from others :)

Thanks, glad to hear there is some interest. I'll keep looking into it more here. Cost is certainly a big factor to me too. Just flying over there may be beyond my budget resources, but not going to worry about that now. So if we find the costs could be a hindrance to anyone, then we'd look at alternatives or delay further in the future. However, my understanding from this client (who is also family, btw) is that it really is the whole point of doing it this way… Kind of piggy-backing and sharing the expertise, planning and resources of another conference to get the most value. Planning this kind of stuff really isn't my thing, and so would need someone to take care of all the details, which is what they do. I'm also not particularly comfortable as a presenter (I like to type, not talk :) ), but am more interested in rising to whatever is best for growth of the ProcessWire project, so figure this is a good opportunity worth exploring.

I'm sure you'll be fine as a presenter - that video on the homepage is all one take right? Right? :P;)

I know it isn't, and I feel your pain. My problem is I type far more more words than necessary to get the point across sometimes

I don't think the percentage of popularity by country is any different than WordPress, it's just that WordPress has the advantage of having been around so long that it's seen as the only option for blogging.

It doesn't hurt that it's on most one-click installers distributed by hosting companies either.

MODx is an interesting case because it's a lot less well known than WordPress but has been around longer than ProcessWire. As such, as more people have adopted it they found that they needed to roll out native-language forums for Russia and Japan where it hit off nicely by the look of it (they rolled out a lot of other language forums too, but I mention those two specifically just because both of those countries seem to have a huge number of native-language websites on the Internet in comparison to other languages).

I think over time it will become more popular across the world but I'd hazard a guess that the real marketing push won't be until after the new website is up and running.

It's already picking up quite a pace here in terms of new users and forum participation, but the advantage with WordPress is that they have time on their side as well as a few hundred million sites with "powered by WordPress" on the bottom,l. I would suggest something similar be added to the ProcessWire blog profile when it's ready, along with maybe trying to package it for web hosts as a one-click installation.

Drat, left the UK for Canada so the cost would likely stop me as it would have a flight bolted on. But that aside this is great news! I'd be very likely to attend a venue nearer to Ontario if that happened one day.

Since it's a tech-related event it would be great to be able to get some sort of video feed for some of the speaking parts of the event (death-by-Powerpoint ;)), even if it was just uploading them to Vimeo afterwards. Just a thought - I'm sure there are more hi-tech solutions, but since something goes wrong at presentations at the best of times it's sometimes better to aim low with technical elements ;)

• Like 3

I don't think the percentage of popularity by country is any different than WordPress, it's just that WordPress has the advantage of having been around so long that it's seen as the only option for blogging.

It doesn't hurt that it's on most one-click installers distributed by hosting companies either.

MODx is an interesting case because it's a lot less well known than WordPress but has been around longer than ProcessWire. As such, as more people have adopted it they found that they needed to roll out native-language forums for Russia and Japan where it hit off nicely by the look of it (they rolled out a lot of other language forums too, but I mention those two specifically just because both of those countries seem to have a huge number of native-language websites on the Internet in comparison to other languages).

I think over time it will become more popular across the world but I'd hazard a guess that the real marketing push won't be until after the new website is up and running.

It's already picking up quite a pace here in terms of new users and forum participation, but the advantage with WordPress is that they have time on their side as well as a few hundred million sites with "powered by WordPress" on the bottom,l. I would suggest something similar be added to the ProcessWire blog profile when it's ready, along with maybe trying to package it for web hosts as a one-click installation.

I just want to add a few statements:

1) PW-forum is the first forum, which makes me want to participate.

2) I got nice and quick support.

3) I love PW and therefore want it to be successful, but I'm personally missing nothing.

• Like 2

August 2013 -- hmm.. that gives me a year to make the list of pubs I want to visit again, after the conference of course. Seriously though, thats a ways off but I will add it to my GTD calendar. I would help with a US Midwest conference (motor city here) if your inclined.

Drat, left the UK for Canada so the cost would likely stop me as it would have a flight bolted on. But that aside this is great news! I'd be very likely to attend a venue nearer to Ontario if that happened one day.

Seconded. I would want to attend but probably couldn't in UK. Someplace closer to the Ontario/U.S. border would be doable though.

Great idea wherever it's held.

Good to know we've go more in North America than I thought. Just testing the waters with the plans here, so not sure where we'll eventually do it, but the locations I mentioned seem the most likely place since my client is making it available to us (something that could keep our costs way down). Ultimately if there's demand for it, we'll do it here in North America too. Though I'm still debating if we're big enough as a project to warrant a conference yet, but we're definitely getting there.

How about Atlanta at Piedmont Park: ProcessWire BeerBQ 2012… 8) on second thought, I think I'm the only one in all of Georgia using ProcessWire. I need to change that, but something called "Word Press" (?) is the buzzword around here.

• Like 2