ProcessWire UK Meetup?

netcarver

I'd definitely be interested if I wasn't so far away. I think it'll be a little while before there is any kind of PW meetup in the US because the general web dev population here is just now discovering what you can do with WordPress, Drupal and EE, about 5-10 years after the rest of the world did. :) I think I'm the only one in my state (GA) developing in it. For some reason, any time I bring up ProcessWire around another developer here, it always leads to us looking at their "cool Wordpress sites". :)

• Like 1

Someday we'll definitely have to have ProcessWire US meetup. Atlanta seems to be pretty quiet from a web development community aspect. I've been here for 9 years and don't know any other web developers around. On the other hand, Atlanta has the world's busiest airport and a worldwide air traffic hub of sorts (i.e. easy to get to). Still, I think if folks are traveling by air then it's better to combine it with a larger conference to maximize the value for everyone. For instance, an interactive conference like SXSWi in Austin, TX or something a little smaller. So there would be a ProcessWire meetup, but within the context of another related conference. I think that would be the ideal way to go for a US meetup since everything here is spread out a lot further than in Europe. I'm guessing it's a lot easier to have a dedicated meetup in Europe because things are closer and transportation options are much better (trains, etc.).

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Just bumping this as we have several new UK-based members posting in the forum now.

For what it's worth, I'd still be interested in meeting up with some PW folks in the Manchester/Birmingham/Bristol area but perhaps there are now enough UK based users to allow for something like regional PW user groups? There are several folks based along the West Coast "corridor" (M5/M6) and another cluster in the London area.

Whilst Ryan's conference is on hold, perhaps we should arrange some meetings of our own in 2013 -- even if they are mainly social events with little additional planning.

• Like 1

I know it seems a long way off, but outside my house in June we have the Stony Stratford "Folk on the Green"  -  sort of a mini Glastonbury with only a thousand or so people (maybe more, it gets packed)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/230311870317688/photos/

And it is free - sort of the music version of Open Source.

Various places to stay round the town - could have a meet up on the Saturday and then the Folk on the Green on the Sunday (it is only one day)

Depending on how many people - if only a few, we can do the meet in my small garden. If lots, a couple of the pubs have function rooms we can hire.

All a bit vague I know, but I throw it into the mix as an idea.

Edit - the date this year will be Sunday June 9th

• Like 1

@Matthew

What I had in mind here was really to encourage more regional meetups first, a bit like Linux User Groups (not just Linux, I'm sure there are other groups that are similar) and if there are enough people using PW near one place then even "local" user groups might be possible. That said, if we do manage to arrange some meet-ups here in the UK, I can't imagine that we'd turn away any PW user who can make it.

@Joss

Sounds interesting but the date's a little further out than I was initially thinking. Perhaps that would be suitable for a "national" level PW meet-up? But there's certainly room for flexibility here.

Going by what people have declared in their forum profiles there are a number of PWers in the London area (such as Panictree, ffub, selfthinker, Lars282, antknight & potentially others) and there is another "cluster" around the Manchester area (Gazley, Pete, DaveP, Onjegolders, myself & maybe some others.) For traveling convenience this sparked the regional meetup idea but if that spreads us too thinly then opening it up wider might well be better.

• Like 1

@Matthew

What I had in mind here was really to encourage more regional meetups first, a bit like Linux User Groups (not just Linux, I'm sure there are other groups that are similar) and if there are enough people using PW near one place then even "local" user groups might be possible. That said, if we do manage to arrange some meet-ups here in the UK, I can't imagine that we'd turn away any PW user who can make it.

@Joss

Sounds interesting but the date's a little further out than I was initially thinking. Perhaps that would be suitable for a "national" level PW meet-up? But there's certainly room for flexibility here.

Going by what people have declared in their forum profiles there are a number of PWers in the London area (such as Panictree, ffub, selfthinker, Lars282, antknight & potentially others) and there is another "cluster" around the Manchester area (Gazley, Pete, DaveP, Onjegolders, myself & maybe some others.) For traveling convenience this sparked the regional meetup idea but if that spreads us too thinly then opening it up wider might well be better.

Well, I'm probably half way between the two! Problem with being from the Midlands - got the northerners and the southerners against you ;)

Well, I'm probably half way between the two! Problem with being from the Midlands - got the northerners and the southerners against you ;)

No, you're a southerner. Draw a line between the Mersey and Humber estuaries and everything north of that is The North (until you get to Hadrian's Wall), and everything south of there is The South.  :rolleyes:

(That is the official definition to some of us Northerners.)  :)

No, you're a southerner. Draw a line between the Mersey and Humber estuaries and everything north of that is The North (until you get to Hadrian's Wall), and everything south of there is The South.  :rolleyes:

(That is the official definition to some of us Northerners.)  :)

You see, I'm a southerner to the northerners and a northerner to the southerners!

North of the Mersey? Well I'm in Chester and I'm Northwest, so not sure whether there is some overlap.

Also I think Cumbria is classes as Northwest too, soooo... Not sure where I'm going with this :D

Not sure where I'm going with this :D

Well not to Cumbria because from you North West will take you into the Irish Sea.

Eventually you will hit the Isle of Mann of course and then you will be in all sorts of trouble.

I suppose we could hold the meet up at the new place on the top of Man Tor in Derbyshire. No idea what the internet connection is like up there but at least it is pretty much in the middle.

Good beer in Castleton as well, I vaguely remember.

• Like 1