Module: Blog

kongondo

1) Dev Install. I also made a backup overnight just in case  :rolleyes:

2) Local Machine. Head scratcher this one!

3) No code alteration. 

4) Yes the admin account. The only account I normally use 

5) See below

6) Do you mean reinstalling the module or physically copying files across to the Blog Module directory?

I've tried to reinstall but PW says I already have the latest version.

http://imgur.com/qQPbZXQ

Just another thought, perhaps have the Cleanup Code available as a separate module could be good too?

That image tells me you haven't finished installing the Blog module. It is step-2 of the installation. I don't know how you got the Blog pages then since you seem not to have finished installing blog. There's is a button 'Run Install Wizard' on that screen that you need to press to fully install Blog (see image below). When done, you should see a screen like the one I posted earlier, i.e. the Blog Dashboard. You don't see the cleanup menu because you haven't finished installing Blog. What happens you click on the 'Run Install Wizard' button? If this is local install, then it is just easier to start over. If you wanna go that route, I'll guide you with the cleanup...

post-894-0-34452000-1411146244_thumb.png
Edited by kongondo

Yes, I don't know how I got myself into this predicament.
I did press the run install wizard and everything indicated that the installation went fine.

Run Install Wizard won't run now because of all the existing fields, templates etc & the installation rolls back.

I'm happy to start again.

The reason I need to start again (besides this)  is that I can't seem to add Authors under the Authors page and wasn't sure I had to do it via the Blog Module. 

I will keep an eye out on logs etc in case it happens again ... touch wood it doesn't.
Having a bad day and hoping this is the start of my change of fortunes

Authors are not added via the authors' page. They are normal ProcessWire users with the role 'blog-author'.

Try the following to cleanup blog manually:

• Copy all the code in BlogCleanup.php to one of your template files, at the very top. Save
  • Find and replace 'private function' to 'public function' in the code you just copied
  • Find public function cleanUpPages() and add the following lines to it, at the very top of the function. Save
//Get the module config data
$this->data = wire('modules')->getModuleConfigData(get_parent_class($this));

$this->blogStyle = $this->data['blogStyle'];//selected blog style (1-4)
$this->commentsUse = $this->data['commentsUse'];//commenting feature on/off
$this->templateFilesInstall = $this->data['templateFilesInstall'];
  • Add the following code to your template file, somewhere after the last } of the BlogCleanup class you copied to this template file
$bc = new BlogCleanup();
echo $bc->cleanUpPages();
  • Visit a page that uses the template file you added the BlogCleanup class to. Blog Cleanup will run but you will get lots of PHP notices. Just ignore them. You will also have to manually delete your template files (normally it would be done for you but that needs code alteration in our manual cleanup).
  • Restore you template file to the state it was before you added the BlogCleanup class. Save

You should be able to start afresh then. I am afraid I don't have any more time today to invest in this. Hope it works out.

Edited by kongondo

Hi Kongondo,

Thanks for the instructions, Kongondo!

Much appreciated!

Unfortunately, it didn't work too well for me as it didn't clean up everything (as you mentioned) and I ended up deleting entries off the CMS as the error messages dictated.

I finally managed to get it install (I think!) with 1 error message that I'm not sure is an error, as the comments table actually is created by the installation.

I've also remembered why I got into this predicament.

The very first installation I did failed because my xdebug.max_nesting_level was set to 100 and not something higher & the installation process reached that limit. 
I was meant to come back to it, but never had the time.

After I did the cleanup & increased this number to 300, I got new error messages which I worked through. which I fixed eventually.

I will also try and post the SQL I used in seperate post.

http://imgur.com/V6OExBn

Rollback instructions. Use at your own risk.

1) Export your site or DB first before you do anything else. Backup! Backup! Backup!

2) Run the following script

start transaction;
select * from templates where name like '%blog%';
delete from templates where name like '%blog%';
select * from templates where name like '%blog%';

select * from fields where name like '%blog%';
delete from fields where name like 'blog%';
select * from fields where name like 'blog%';

select * from pages where name like '%blog%';
delete from pages where name like 'blog%';
select * from pages where name like 'blog%';

select * from fieldgroups where name like '%blog%'
select * from fieldgroups_fields where fieldgroups_id in (
select id from fieldgroups where name like '%blog%'
)
delete from fieldgroups_fields where fieldgroups_id in (
select id from fieldgroups where name like '%blog%'
)
delete from fieldgroups where name like '%blog%'
rollback;

If the Rollback attempt looks fine, run a Commit version of it.

Aah...wish you'd mentioned that xdebug issue :-). It's bitten somebody else here before. Anyway, you got there in the end. The comments field sql error can be safely ignored. I mentioned it to Ryan a while ago but he didn't seem to be able to replicate it. It has nothing to do with Blog per se, but the comments module which ships with PW...

You rollback instructions (even with the disclaimer) seem quite dangerous and I wouldn't recommend any one to use them. You are using LIKE to search. That will match other things that are not 'blog' but 'sound' like blog...Instead, use the cleanup facility in Blog :-)

Edited by kongondo

Yes I agree with it being dangerous ... but I was in a desperate corner and I was willing to take the risk.

As for the script itself and '%Blog%' being dangerous, I do agree but that's why I also had Select statements in there for the user to check before they delete.

Hopefully no one else will have to go through what I did :)

That XDebug issue, I only recently discovered what the cause & its outreaching effect was.

Also I first installed the blog quite a while back, long before XDebug became a big issue and i was searching around for answers.

I definitely will have a "Cleanup" celebration later this evening with some well earned bevvies!

Hi,

I have a question regarding logging in the Processwire Module as a Blog Author.

I created a user that is a member of the blog-authors group.

When I login to the Processwire admin page using the user's credentials, this is all I see is this.

http://imgur.com/o5hbrWG

Had a look, and it has the following error log entry.

DATE/TIME USER URL TEXT 8 seconds ago

2015-10-18 14:05:33 admin /processwire/page/list/?id=id&render=render&am…

SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: could not call class constructor [pageClass=Page, template=]

The URL Link above is :

http://localhost:8888/processwire/page/list/?id=id&render=render&start=start〈=lang&open=open&mode=mode

Logging in as Admin, there are no issues with the blog.

I can do everything including entering blog posts.

There are no error log entries for Admin/Blog Module.

FYI, I have set couple of child pages of the Blog as hidden. Could this be the cause?

This is actually ProcessWire territory and not a Blog one. :-).

I'd suggest that you search and have a read in the forums and docs how ProcessWire implements access controls. As you've figured out, access in ProcessWire is controlled at two levels; the high level (when editing a 'role') and the low level (at the template level).. Also have a good read of the info in the 'role' edit screen. This 'homework' will help you beyond Blog...:-)

• Like 2

Ok thanks for the Homework :)

Feel like I'm back in school again.

I've read the docs and some forum articles as you suggested.

Didn't realise you had to allocate Add-Children permissions as well on the Blog-Posts to be able to add a new Blog-Post.

(Create Page & Edit Page permissions was not enough)

Was there a reason no permissions are set by default during the initial installation?

Seems to me a Blog-Author role implies it should be able to create & edit Blog Posts by default.

Was there a reason no permissions are set by default during the initial installation?

Seems to me a Blog-Author role implies it should be able to create & edit Blog Posts by default.

Yes. Doing things the ProcessWire way....we make no assumptions (aka total freedom for end-user to implement as they wish). Some stuff, e.g. the role and demo files, Blog offers as a courtesy to get you started

Yes. Doing things the ProcessWire way....we make no assumptions (aka total freedom for end-user to implement as they wish). Some stuff, e.g. the role and demo files, Blog offers as a courtesy to get you started

Aaah the Processwire way. Had a feeling you might say something similar.

I'm slowly getting accustomed to it nonetheless :)

Hi Kongondo,

I've noticed there's a Quick Post section in the Posts Menu in the Blog Dashboard.

But it's not showing a field I added to the Blog Post Template.

I'm guessing I have to modify some module code to get it showing (& saving)?

Do you know which modules I have to look at?

Or is there another way that I've overlooked?

I assume you meant traversing the Page Tree and entering a Blog Post as a page?

I think for a CMS administrator or a Developer, that is a fine workaround.

But unfortunately we're trying to convince bloggers to come write for our site and that particular UX in Processwire is not a great selling point for us IMHO.

I think the Blog Panel is actually a much better UX for a non technical person to enter blog entries into.

Just a shame that  adding a single custom field to it as not as straight forward.

I assume you meant traversing the Page Tree and entering a Blog Post as a page?

I think for a CMS administrator or a Developer, that is a fine workaround.

But unfortunately we're trying to convince bloggers to come write for our site and that particular UX in Processwire is not a great selling point for us IMHO.

I think the Blog Panel is actually a much better UX for a non technical person to enter blog entries into.

Just a shame that  adding a single custom field to it as not as straight forward.

use this in combination with that and you have a strong "selling point" and/or alternative admin UX for batch editing even this module could be a solution for the "holder page" like /pw-root/posts/... to use ;)

The Blog panel serv also all posts in the postspage and all posts have a edit link on there titles....so hide the quickpost row simple via CSS...

Also make use of the simple and easy "Add New" Button and/or bookmarks so the user don't have to navigate trough the pagetree...there are many shortcuts and UI improvments possible with PW - but like everything else the choice to use them in your setup is on you!

regards mr-fan

• Like 3

@FrancisChung, best way to remove manually is to literally uninstall module and remove the pages, so everything under blog in the page list should be deleted, including the blog page itself.  Then move into deleting the fields, then delete templates.  As in delete, I mean, delete through ProcessWire.  Once you have done this, empty trash on the page list.  Then go ahead and delete the templates from your templates directory via SSH or FTP. 

If you have tons of posts under blog, then use batch editor to remove them all at once. 

Just curious, 

Why are you removing this module?

@quickjeff...his Blog install got messed up by an x-debug limitation so he needed to reinstall. He was caught between a rock and a hard place and couldn't use the 'cleanup feature' since Blog didn't finish installing due to the x-debug thing.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

Update: Blog Version 2.3.5 (dev branch only for now)

Changes

1. Fixed issue of slow loading dashboards on sites with lots of posts.
  2. Added some missing translation strings, thanks @mr-fan.
  3. Decluttered modal window, thanks @mr-fan.
  4. Some code optimisations.

I don't think there are any other pending issues. Apologies it took so long to get to this update; we got there in the end :-)

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 2