Permissions Not Taking Effect

Shadowdare

I just got started with ProcessWire and am enjoying it so far. I followed instructions in a post by Ryan to set up an "author" role, but I have run into some trouble getting permissions for a template to take effect.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Added the "page-publish" permission under the "Permissions" page.
  2. Created a role called "contributor" (instead of "author") for my website. The "contributor" role has the "view pages" and "edit pages" permissions checked.
  3. Created two templates called "articles" and "article" for individual posts. The access settings for the "articles" template for the "contributor" role has: "view pages" and "add children." The "article" template for the same role has: "view pages," "edit pages," and "create pages" checked.
  4. Created a page called "Articles" that is hidden and uses the "articles" template.

I logged into a test user which has the "contributor" role and it just shows the "view" link when I click "Articles" in the page list. If I go to the "add" link path from the admin user for the "Articles" page and visit it under the test user, it says "you don't have access to add pages here."

I would like the "contributor" role to be able to create new article posts, but the permissions did not seem to take effect. If anyone has any ideas on what to do, please let me know. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I think he needs also edit access to articles to add children.

I'm not sure I test and works fine here. Same as you set up but no page-publish permission, but works also with using it.

Thanks for testing it out, Soma.

I guess there was a setting I accidentally changed or a cache issue with the server because I recreated the articles template and page and everything is working alright now. The problem is gone now.  :huh:

• 6 months later...

Just had the same problem as mentioned above, that's why I stumbled upon this post.

I assigned the "add children" permission to an existing template, but it didn't show up when logged in with a different role/user.

Then I created a new template with the same settings and suddenly it worked.

Not sure if this is just due to caching problems or maybe a bug?

Update: Just logged in a few minutes later and it again doesn't work.

So to be clear:

1. I have a template that allows "authors" to view the page and to add children.

2. I have this template assigned to a page.

3. When logged in as an "author" I don't see the "new" button next to that page, so I can't add children.

What am I missing?

Update: Just logged in a few minutes later and it again doesn't work.

So to be clear:

1. I have a template that allows "authors" to view the page and to add children.

2. I have this template assigned to a page.

3. When logged in as an "author" I don't see the "new" button next to that page, so I can't add children.

What am I missing?

Have you checked the permission on the templates that are allowed as children of the template assigned to the page that you are expecting a new button on?

So the parent template must have Add Children and the child template must have Edit Pages and Create Pages for the author role.

• Like 2