user permissions tutorial?

benbyf

Really useful links, but nothing that really explains how to make and administer a new user which isn't a admin or guest for example - I'm looking to create an 'author' user that has very specific access to the PW admin.

just wondering if there is a users and user permissions tutorial anywhere, as i want to level up my understanding.

There are limitless possibilities, so instructions kind of depend on what your need is. 

I'm looking to create an 'author' user that has very specific access to the PW admin.

Most likely "author" would be the name of the role you would create. What do you want the author to be able to do? I can follow-up with instructions on how to do it. 

Well... those aren't actually too helpful. This page still tells about old "page based ua" instead of current template based.

Thanks for letting me know, I have unpublished that page temporarily until I can update it. Didn't realize we had such old info there! 

Thanks Ryan, and yes sorry for asking the same question twice. Been working with PW for two years now and its always been confusing for me. For a vanilla PW install how can I set different edit page permissions in the admin for any new user type - i.e. 'Author'.

Or will I always need to use the user plugins found on the modules user page?

Thanks!

For a vanilla PW install how can I set different edit page permissions in the admin for any new user type - i.e. 'Author'.

Can you describe your scenario? Here's a common scenario: Lets say you've got a section called /articles/ and you want to have authors that can edit articles: 

1. Create new role called "author" and check permission box for "View" and "Edit". Assign this role to one or more users you've created.

2. Edit your "Article" template (Setup > Templates > edit), the one represented by /articles/some-article/, etc.

3. Check the "yes" box on "access" tab to enable access control. 

4. Next to the "author" role, check boxes for: View, Edit

Want your authors to be able to create new articles too?

1. Edit your "Article" template again, check the box for "Create" for the author role. 

2. Edit your "Articles" template (the one represented by page /articles/). Enable access control and check the box for "Add Children" for the author role. 

Want authors to only be able to create new articles but not to publish them?

1. Add a new permission (Access > Permissions > New) and call it "page-publish"

2. You don't have to do anything else. Since the author role doesn't have page-publish permission, they can't publish pages. They can still edit and create unpublished pages. 

Tell me more about your scenario and I'll outline instructions. 

• Like 6

great thanks Ryan, had no idea they were tied to templates not individual pages themselves. Will explore some more into how it looks. Will probably influence how I create sites from now on too as it seems you can't necessarily change permissions for different pages with the same template.

• 1 year later...