Soma

HelperFieldLinks - field and template edit shortcuts

HelperFieldLinks

Just got a new module working that is only visible to superusers, and is handy for when developing a site, or investigate someone elses.

1. It adds a shortcut link to all fields on page in the backend. The link name equals the field name, so on very large complex sites with lots of fields, it can help to quickly see what name the field has.

2. It also adds a shortcut to the used template (in the template select field under "Settings" tab). They appear on bottom right corner of the field.

Any suggestions for a better module name and general feedback is welcome.

ProcessWire Modules Directory: http://modules.proce...er-field-links/

Direct github download: https://github.com/s...elperFieldLinks

post-1337-132614278962_thumb.png

• Like 6

Nice module Soma, and great (useful!) idea. I look forward to trying this one out later today.

Thanks Ryan. Got a new version with the gear icon added to make it a little more sexy... :)

Soma I tested out here–nice job and congrats on your first second module!

Just a few suggestions:

1. It's not safe to assume that PW admin is at /processwire/. For instance, the one I  tested in is at /mysite/processwire/ (off a subdirectory), and someone else's might be at /admin/ or /my-private-url/ or something like that. As a result, you'll want to replace this:

<a href='/processwire/setup/field/edit?id={$id} ...

with this:

<a href='{$this->config->urls->admin}setup/field/edit?id={$id} ...

And likewise with the templates one.

2. I'm getting double field links with Page reference fields. This is because Inputfield::render actually gets called twice for a Page reference. It's a little different than the other fields since it lets you delegate the input to another Inputfield (like select, select multiple, checkboxes, radios, etc.). So  InputfieldPage::render gets called first, and then the delegate Inputfield gets called second. The result is two of your links appear. As a result, I would suggest preventing this by either keeping a list of field names you've already populated, or just checking if your markup already appears in the output, like:

if(strpos($event->return, 'fieldEditLink')) return; 

3. With hooks that get called multiple times, it's more efficient to move the if() before you add the hook, rather than have it within the hook. Or to word it differently, move this:

if($this->process == 'ProcessPageEdit' && $this->user->hasRole('superuser')){

…out of addShortcutLinks(), and into init(). The only problem is that init() gets called before the page is even loaded, so you can't determine if($page->process == 'ProcessPageEdit') yet. However, you can do this:

<?php 

public function init() {
   if(strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], $this->config->urls->admin . 'page/edit/?id=') !== false && $this->user->hasRole('superuser')){
       // add stylesheets
       $this->config->styles->add($this->config->urls->HelperFieldLinks . "HelperFieldLinks.css");

// add a hook after each inputfield is rendered and modify the output
       $this->addHookAfter('Inputfield::render', $this, 'addShortcutLinks');
   } 
}

The advantage of the approach above is that it significantly reduces the number of times your hook is called when it's not needed. There's nothing technically wrong with the way you were doing it before either, so I'm just mentioning this as an efficiency optimization.

Lastly, and perhaps more importantly, move your stylesheet loader into that if() statement as well (like in the code example above). No need to have your stylesheet loading when it's not going to be used.

Implemented the suggested changes. It's working good so far. Attached new version to first post.

Wow that was fast. Thanks for the update. I can't wait till I get back to the office Monday to try out these new modules.

Just tried it out, looks great and works great! Thanks Soma!

I just commited a fix to this module causing some issues with a not well formed span tag. I noticed when I got problems with it adding other markup using hooks to inputfields. I've seen some people using this module so I thought I'd make a note .

• Like 1

Thanks recyclerobot!

Just fixed the link, thanks for mention it.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for this Module Soma! Just seeing the real Field name is often a lovely time-saver :D Thanks!

• Like 1

Somehow I missed this post before... nice module Soma! Thanks!

And thanks Alan for bringing this up again :)

• Like 1

I should really start using this. My current method is to use Chrome's inspector to see the real field name from source html...

• Like 1

I should really start using this. My current method is to use Chrome's inspector to see the real field name from source html...

Wooot? Hehe, this module was one of my first helpers. Couldn't without it and I think it saved me hours already. :)

• Like 1

@diogo Happy if I accidentally helped :D And I used to be less efficient @apeisa than you, I hadn't realized the field name was in the page and visible in Chrome Inspector and used to go back to the field list all the time, oUCH, so Soma's Module is luxury!

Just pushed an update to 1.0.5 to fix issues once again (!)

- updated to account for current new development on admin theme 

- some optimizations

- kinda fixed an issue with the new LanguageFieldsTabs. - It was getting overlayed by the tabs. Also the LanguageFieldTabs alters the field content via JS and appends the tabs, which results in my Helper links being at the top instead at the bottom! Annoying and not possible to fix from my side, but if LanguageFieldTabs.js would prepend() the tabs instead of append() it would be better. I don't see an easy way to account for this issue from my side, maybe someone has an good idea. - but for now it's on top of those fields using language tabs.

- added new feature to toggle a layer when clicking on the little gear icon, with some infos on the field settings, which can be useful when developing without going to the field editing screen.

post-100-0-21034800-1385150200_thumb.png

post-100-0-77815400-1385150210_thumb.png

There maybe still issues in some cases I haven't tested or thought of.

Thanks

• Like 2

Thanks Martijn. I can't see that notice here, I guess php version matters? Somehow the $value in some cases is still an array and my lazy method to get and render the settings may not account for all possible settings there is for different fields. I'm not sure it is gone now that some changes were made.

I pushed another update to 1.0.6

- added settings toggle support for template field 

- there's even more settings being shown now for fields

Thanks

The notices comes from the all the 'roles' arrays. I don't see them anywhere in the helper text (weird that they're bugging me). 

These are: editRoles, addRoles, createRoles & roles.

I changed the line 156 to this prevents the notices.

if(is_array($data_value)) $data_value = implode(" ", $data_value);
$settings_str .= "<h1>$data_key:</h1> $data_value<br/>";
  • Like 1

The same error also occurs when editing any admin pages, eg:

Pages > Home > Admin > Pages > Search

Awesome enhancements though Soma!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoritzLost
      TrelloWire
      This is a module that allows you to automatically create Trello cards for ProcessWire pages and update them when the pages are updated. This allows you to setup connected workflows. Card properties and change handling behaviour can be customized through the extensive module configuration. Every action the module performs is hookable, so you can modify when and how cards are created as much as you need to. The module also contains an API-component that makes it easy to make requests to the Trello API and build your own connected ProcessWire-Trello workflows.
      Features
      All the things the module can do for you without any custom code: Create a new card on Trello whenever a page is added or published (you can select applicable templates). Configure the target board, target list, name and description for new cards. Add default labels and checklists to the card. Update the card whenever the page is updated (optional). When the status of the card changes (published / unpublished, hidden / unhidden, trashed / restored or deleted), move the card to a different list or archive or delete it (configurable). You can extend this through hooks in many ways: Modifiy when and how cards are created. Modify the card properties (Target board & list, title, description, et c.) before they are sent to Trello. Create your own workflows by utilizing an API helper class with many convenient utility methods to access the Trello API directly. Feedback & Future Plans
      Let me know what you think! In particular:
      If you find any bugs report them here or on Github, I'll try to fix them. This module was born out of a use-case for a client project where we manage new form submissions through Trello. I'm not sure how many use-cases there are for this module. If you do use it, tell me about it! The Trello API is pretty extensive, I'll try to add some more helper methods to the TrelloWireApi class (let me know if you need anything in particular). I'll think about how the module can support different workflows that include Twig – talk to me if you have a use-case! Next steps could be a dashboard to manage pages that are connected to a Trello card, or a new section in the settings tab to manage the Trello connection. But it depends on whether there is any interest in this 🙂 Links
      Repository on Github Complete module documentation (getting started, configuration & API documentation) [Module directory pending approval] Module configuration

• By MoritzLost
      Process Cache Control
      This module provides a simple solution to clearing all your cache layers at once, and an extensible interface to perform various cache-related actions.
      The simple motivation behind this module was that I was tired of manually clearing caches in several places after deploying a change on a live site. The basic purpose of this module is a simple Clear all caches link in the Setup menu which clears out all caches, no matter where they hide. You can customize what exactly the module does through it's configuration menu:
      Expire or delete all cache entries in the database, or selectively clear caches by namespace ($cache API) Clear the the template render cache. Clear out specific folders inside your site's cache directory (/site/assets/cache) Clear the ProCache page render cache (if your site is using ProCache) Refresh version strings for static assets to bust client-side browser caches (this requires some setup, see the full documentation for details). This is the basic function of the module. However, you can also add different cache management action through the API and execute them through the module's interface. For this advanced usage, the module provides:
      An interface to see all available cache actions and execute them. A system log and logging output on the module page to see verify what the module is doing. A CacheControlTools class with utility functions to clear out different caches. An API to add cache actions, execute them programmatically and even modify the default action. Permission management, allowing you granular control over which user roles can execute which actions. The complete documentation can be found in the module's README.
      Plans for improvements
      If there is some interest in this, I plan to expand this to a more general cache management solution. I particular, I would like to add additional cache actions. Some ideas that came to mind:
      Warming up the template render cache for publicly accessible pages. Removing all active user sessions. Let me know if you have more suggestions!
      Links
      https://github.com/MoritzLost/ProcessCacheControl ProcessCacheControl in the Module directory CHANGELOG in the repository Screenshots

• By Macrura
      PrevNextTabs Module
      Github: https://github.com/outflux3/PrevNextTabs
      Processwire helper modules for adding page navigation within the editor.
      Overview
      This is a very simple module that adds Previous and Next links inline with the tabs on the page editor. Hovering over the tab shows the title of the previous or next page (using the admin's built in jqueryUI tooltips.)
      Usage
      This module is typically used during development where you or your editors need to traverse through pages for the purpose of proofing, flagging and/or commenting. Rather than returning to the page tree or lister, they can navigate with these links.
      Warnings
      If you are using PW version 2.6.1 or later, the system will prevent you from leaving the page if you have unsaved edits.
      For earlier versions, to avoid accidentally losing changes made to a page that might occur if a user accidentally clicks on one of these, make sure to have the Form Save Reminder module installed.
      http://modules.processwire.com/modules/prev-next-tabs/
    • By Gadgetto
      SnipWire - Snipcart integration for ProcessWire
      Snipcart is a powerful 3rd party, developer-first HTML/JavaScript shopping cart platform. SnipWire is the missing link between Snipcart and the content management framework ProcessWire.
      With SnipWire, you can quickly turn any ProcessWire site into a Snipcart online shop. The SnipWire plugin helps you to get your store up and running in no time. Detailed knowledge of the Snipcart system is not required.
      SnipWire is free and open source licensed under Mozilla Public License 2.0! A lot of work and effort has gone into development. It would be nice if you could donate an amount to support further development:

Status update links (inside this thread) for SnipWire development
      2020-03-21 -- SnipWire 0.8.5 (beta) released! Improves SnipWires webhooks interface and provides some other fixes and additions 2020-03-03 -- SnipWire 0.8.4 (beta) released! Improves compatibility for Windows based Systems. 2020-03-01 -- SnipWire 0.8.3 (beta) released! The installation and uninstallation process has been heavily revised. 2020-02-08 -- SnipWire 0.8.2 (beta) released! Added a feature to change the cart and catalogue currency by GET, POST or SESSION param 2020-02-03 -- SnipWire 0.8.1 (beta) released! All custom classes moved into their own namespaces. 2020-02-01 -- SnipWire is now available via ProcessWire's module directory! 2020-01-30 -- SnipWire 0.8.0 (beta) first public release! (module just submitted to the PW modules directory) 2020-01-28 -- added Custom Order Fields feature (first SnipWire release version is near!) 2020-01-21 -- Snipcart v3 - when will the new cart system be implemented? 2020-01-19 -- integrated taxes provider finished (+ very flexible shipping taxes handling) 2020-01-14 -- new date range picker, discount editor, order notifiactions, order statuses, and more ... 2019-11-15 -- orders filter, order details, download + resend invoices, refunds 2019-10-18 -- list filters, REST API improvements, new docs platform, and more ... 2019-08-08 -- dashboard interface, currency selector, managing Orders, Customers and Products, Added a WireTabs, refinded caching behavior 2019-06-15 -- taxes provider, shop templates update, multiCURL implementation, and more ... 2019-06-02 -- FieldtypeSnipWireTaxSelector 2019-05-25 -- SnipWire will be free and open source Plugin Key Features
      Fast and simple store setup Full integration of the Snipcart dashboard into the ProcessWire backend (no need to leave the ProcessWire admin area) Browse and manage orders, customers, discounts, abandoned carts, and more Multi currency support Custom order and cart fields Process refunds and send customer notifications from within the ProcessWire backend Process Abandoned Carts + sending messages to customers from within the ProcessWire backend Complete Snipcart webhooks integration (all events are hookable via ProcessWire hooks) Integrated taxes provider (which is more flexible then Snipcart own provider) Useful Links
      SnipWire in PW modules directory SnipWire Docs (please note that the documentation is a work in progress) SnipWire @GitHub (feature requests and suggestions for improvement are welcome - I also accept pull requests) Snipcart Website  
      ---- INITIAL POST FROM 2019-05-25 ----