Sipho

Get template's allowed templates for children from API

I wish to access a template's allowed templates for it's children from the API. This one:

Capture.thumb.PNG.33eea507a44f413ed558867587d7d4da.PNG

I am pretty sure this is possible, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the documentation. If this is not possible, is there some way of assigning properties to templates? So like fields that already have a value on all pages using that template.

$template->childTemplates?

@tpr Yep that's worked. It returns the ids in an array. How did you find that out? I couldn't see it anywhere in the documentation.

I needed this when one of my modules installed a few templates, I digged into the core as I remember.

@tpr Ah, I found it in the database. I will keep that in mind when I want to know another property. But why isn't stuff like this documented? Is there any way people can contribute to the documentation?

Oh my goodness that page is so obvious. I don't know how I missed it. Sorry for wasting your time!

Another trick as mentioned by @Robin S somewhere I now can't find...Hover your mouse over the field's collapse/uncollapse arrow...the name of the  input usually matches the API...;)

api-from-field-name.thumb.png.9ed822149ba27fb66eca1e45b4b830c2.png

• Like 1

@kongondo For some reason I can't get that to show up. When I hover my mouse over it it just says "Toggle open/close".

22 minutes ago, Sipho said:

For some reason I can't get that to show up. When I hover my mouse over it it just says "Toggle open/close".

Hmm. What version of PW? It shows for me in 2.7 and 3.0.62.

Not sure but I seem to recall reading that either debug mode or advanced mode triggered the field name display when hovering.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wheelmaker24
      Hi,
      I got a new idea which come in handy when creating ProcessWire pages with enclosed subsections. Currently within the template family settings there is a setting "Can this template be used for new pages?" with the options "Yes", "No" and "One". My proposal is to add a fourth option that is "Single Child". This would allow the template to be created only once within another page (meaning that there wouldn't be any siblings with the same template).
      To give you an example look at this page structure for a multi-site webpage:
      Newsroom root Newsroom for Country 1 News articles Article 1 Article 2 ... Tags Search 404 Newsroom for Country 2 News articles Tags Search 404 Newsroom for Country 3 ... The root template will automatically redirect to the country newsroom page according to the browser's locale settings. Within each country newsroom there should obviously only be one "Tags", "Search" and "404" template. The option mentioned above would enable me to do this.
      A work-around solution for my specific use-case would be to select the option "No" and automatically create the Country Newsroom's children via a hook that triggers when a new country newsroom page has been created. But I think that this fourth option could come in handy for other use-cases as well.
      What do you think?
    • By John W.
      SYNOPSIS
      A little guide to generating an sitemap.xml using (I believe) a script Ryan originally wrote with the addition of being able to optionally exclude child pages from being output in the sitemap.xml file.
      I was looking back on a small project today where I was using a php script to generate an xml file, I believe the original was written by Ryan. Anyway, I needed a quick fix for the script to allow me to optionally exclude children of pages from being included in the sitemap.xml output.
      OVERVIEW
      A good example of this is a site where if you visit /minutes/ a page displays a list of board meetings which includes a title,  date, description and link to download the .pdf file.
      I have a template called minutes and a template called minutes-document. The first page, minutes, when loaded via /minutes/ simply grabs all of its child pages and outputs the name, description and actual path of an uploaded .pdf file for a visitor to download.
      In my back-end I have the template MINUTES and MINUTES-DOCUMENT. Thus:

So, basically, their employee can login, hover over minutes, click new, then create a new (child) record and name it the date of the meeting e.g. June 3rd, 2016 :

---------------------------
      OPTIONALLY EXCLUDING CHILDREN - SETUP
      Outputting the sitemap.xml and optionally excluding children that belong to a template.
      The setup of the original script is as follows:
      1. Save the file to the templates folder as sitemap.xml.php
      2. Create a template called sitemap-xml and use the sitemap.xml.php file.
      3. Create a page called sitemap.xml using the sitemap-xml template

Now, with that done you will need to make only a couple of slight modifications that will allow the script to exclude children of a template from output to the sitemap.xml
      1. Create a new checkbox field and name it:   sitemap_exclude_children
      2. Add the field to a template that you want to control whether the children are included/excluded from the sitemap. In my example I added it to my "minutes" template.
      3. Next, go to a page that uses a template with the field you added above. In my case, "MINUTES"
      4. Enable the checkbox to exclude children, leave it unchecked to include children.
      For example, in my MINUTES page I enabled the checkbox and now when /sitemap.xml is loaded the children for the MINUTES do not appear in the file.

A SIMPLE CONDITIONAL TO CHECK THE "sitemap_exclude_children" VALUE
      This was a pretty easy modification to an existing script, adding only one line. I just figure there may be others out there using this script with the same needs.
      I simply inserted the if condition as the first line in the function:
      function renderSitemapChildren(Page $page) { if($page->sitemap_exclude_children) return ""; ... ... ...  
      THE FULL SCRIPT WITH MODIFICATION
      <?php /** * ProcessWire Template to power a sitemap.xml * * 1. Copy this file to /site/templates/sitemap-xml.php * 2. Add the new template from the admin. * Under the "URLs" section, set it to NOT use trailing slashes. * 3. Create a new page at the root level, use your sitemap-xml template * and name the page "sitemap.xml". * * Note: hidden pages (and their children) are excluded from the sitemap. * If you have hidden pages that you want to be included, you can do so * by specifying the ID or path to them in an array sent to the * renderSiteMapXML() method at the bottom of this file. For instance: * * echo renderSiteMapXML(array('/hidden/page/', '/another/hidden/page/')); * * patch to prevent pages from including children in the sitemap when a field is checked / johnwarrenllc.com * 1. create a checkbox field named sitemap_exclude_children * 2. add the field to the parent template(s) you plan to use * 3. when a new page is create with this template, checking the field will prevent its children from being included in the sitemap.xml output */ function renderSitemapPage(Page $page) { return "\n<url>" . "\n\t<loc>" . $page->httpUrl . "</loc>" . "\n\t<lastmod>" . date("Y-m-d", $page->modified) . "</lastmod>" . "\n</url>"; } function renderSitemapChildren(Page $page) { if($page->sitemap_exclude_children) return ""; /* Aded to exclude CHILDREN if field is checked */ $out = ''; $newParents = new PageArray(); $children = $page->children; foreach($children as $child) { $out .= renderSitemapPage($child); if($child->numChildren) $newParents->add($child); else wire('pages')->uncache($child); } foreach($newParents as $newParent) { $out .= renderSitemapChildren($newParent); wire('pages')->uncache($newParent); } return $out; } function renderSitemapXML(array $paths = array()) { $out = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>' . "\n" . '<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9">'; array_unshift($paths, '/'); // prepend homepage foreach($paths as $path) { $page = wire('pages')->get($path); if(!$page->id) continue; $out .= renderSitemapPage($page); if($page->numChildren) { $out .= renderSitemapChildren($page); } } $out .= "\n</urlset>"; return $out; } header("Content-Type: text/xml"); echo renderSitemapXML(); // Example: echo renderSitemapXML(array('/hidden/page/'));  
      In conclusion, I have used a couple different processwire sitemap generating modules. But for my needs, the above script is fast and easy to setup/modify.
      - Thanks

• By louisstephens
      I have a "strange" issue with my dev set up, that I just noticed today. I set up an image field named "dev_gallery" and checked the "use tags" option when setting it up. I went to add a couple image to the field, and noticed that the tags option is not displaying at all for the image. Currently, the description field is the only current field on image edit. Have I missed a basic setting to enable this?

I am currently using PW 3.0.62 as well.
    • By noelboss
      Short description of the issue
      Since PW 3.0.88: When I try to retrive a croped file using the api filesManager() and it's basename, I get the original version instead of the croped variation.
      Expected behaviour
      Looking up a variation using the path and filesManager should return the variation file.
       $page->filesManager->getFile("/path/to/filebasename.400x400.jpg"); // $file->basename > filebasename.400x400.jpg Actual behavior
      The variation is returned.
       $page->filesManager->getFile("/path/to/filebasename.400x400.jpg"); // $file->basename > filebasename.jpg  
      » Is this a bug or do I miss something here?

Code:
      dump($page->filesManager->path.$input->get->filename('f')); $file = $page->filesManager->getFile($page->filesManager->path.$input->get->filename('f')); dump($file); dump($page->filesManager->path.$file->basename); Output:
      "/home/ubuntu/workspace/www/site/assets/files/-1579/colin-rex-434063.400x400.jpg" (79) ProcessWire\Pageimage #796f pageimages protected => ProcessWire\Pageimages #d195 original protected => ProcessWire\Pageimage #796f { RECURSION } variations private => null imageInfo private => array (2) width => 0 height => 0 error protected => "" pagefiles protected => ProcessWire\Pageimages #d195 data protected => array (6) basename => "colin-rex-434063.jpg" (20) description => "" tags => "" formatted => true modified => 1516025386 created => 1516025386 useFuel protected => true _instanceNum private => 870 localHooks protected => array () trackChanges private => 2 changes private => array (1) formatted => array (1) 0 => null _notices protected => array (3) errors => null warnings => null messages => null _wire protected => ProcessWire\ProcessWire #28d0 in .../www/site/templates/app/utils/download.php:29
      "/home/ubuntu/workspace/www/site/assets/files/-1579/colin-rex-434063.jpg" (71)
    • By JurgenP
      First of all I'm as new to ProcessWire (PW) as they come, so bear with me if I ask stupid questions with obvious answers.
      I started looking into PW because I'm looking for something that would take out some of the grunt work of building an applications, yet be flexible enough to be able to implement custom functionality.
      I'm trying to work out if PW is suitable for my needs, ...
      A the moment I'm trying to create an architecture for a web platform on which multiple websites/webshops (750-1000) for pharmacists will be run.
      The websites will have different types of information, obviously there will be the 'own' pages the pharmacists create themselves.
      But as pharmacists tend 'not to be computer people' there is also content provided by the platform to make the site look alive, as well as public health information provided by the goverment.
      I was wondering if there is a way to structure/set up PW so that they have full access to their own content, and limited access (basically chose to publish it or not) to the externally provided content.
      Also is there a way to have the templates/page for the own content located in their own folder, and the 'external ones' in a shared folder so that they don't have to be repeated 1000 times on the server (and if modifications need to be done, it only has to be done once as well).
      Sincerely,
      Jurgen