Media Manager Archive

kongondo

That's looking great, I would possibly consider having the edit button on the grid view and open in modal. So if you find the image you want to edit the description on in grid, you don't have to go into the edit mode and go looking for it again.

This is some really good stuff! I could really do with this in a recent project where there is a custom png icon set to use on the website and I wanted them to be able look through the list and select the one they want to use :-) 

Keep up the great work.

I could really do with this in a recent project where there is a custom png icon set to use on the website and I wanted them to be able look through the list and select the one they want to use :-) 

Keep up the great work.

Nice idea. I was looking into something similar today.

That's looking great, I would possibly consider having the edit button on the grid view and open in modal. So if you find the image you want to edit the description on in grid, you don't have to go into the edit mode and go looking for it again..

You won't have to. It remembers contexts: What you want is either #2 or #3 below:

1. In view mode, if you haven't searched for any media, if you click on 'edit mode' button, you will be taken to edit screen for the media type you were viewing, with the first media selected to edit. So, if in view you were on 'all' menu, you will be taken to 'all' in edit. If you were on 'image' in view mode, you will be taken to 'image' on edit mode. 
  2. If in view, you'd searched for media and got back some results, if you then clicked on 'edit mode' button, you would be taken to the edit screen for only those found items, shown one media at a time with pagination. If you got back only one result in the search, you would be taken to the edit screen of only that result (without pagination of course)
  3. If in view mode you click on the title of a media, you will be taken straight to its edit screen, no questions asked :-) See example GIF below

In any of the above scenarios, clicking the view mode button will display the media you'd just edited.

Edit mode: clicking on title of media in 'view mode' - (#3 above)

post-894-0-49310100-1452360604_thumb.gif

• Like 4

Last major feature has been implemented, so a couple of more testing and its ready.

have you thought about implementing the blueimp file uploader to it? it has built in preview (at least for mp3 and images) and supports client side image resizing. that's one thing i am missing most when it comes to image galleries!

Done. See it action here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy to announce that Media Manager (Beta 001) is ready for release!

I had to change the view/edit modes to streamline these into one unified interface. I think it works better as can be seen in the video below (or if can't access YT, see this instead).

I am working on the documentation this week and 'preparing shelves at the shop' with an aim to officially release the module next week or early the week after at the latest. If you can't wait that long and would like to get your hands on a copy soonest, please send me a PM. I am also finalising a pricing model. Initially, support will be via email.

Thanks for your patience :-)

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 8

While this looks powerful, one of the important things (USP :rolleyes:) is missing: What about the embedding context of all this media types. Speaking of responsive websites, picture elements with different image versions, device dependent scaling, video quality etc. As long as all you do is "feeding" a rich text editor that can handle one image (plus a description more or less), you don't need a extraordinary media manager IMHO. But this is only my opinion.

2nd big topic for a "respectable Digital Asset Management" as said above is rights management. A media rights management should manage: who can see, embed, delete, edit, label .. assets. Maybe a separated collection for every user role (speaking of folders again ^-^ ). Most important: access control have to be functional in resource serving context as well (means: you can't access a restricted resource, even if you know it's address).

• 4 weeks later...

Media Manager Version 002 is ready

Changes

• Specify allowed media types for a media manager field (i.e. the field you add to a template). Default is to allow all four types, i.e. audio, document, image and video. Setting is in 'Details Tab' of your media manager field
  • Set the maximum number of media allowed for a media manager field (i.e. maximum per page). Set in 'Details Tab'

Media Manager Field setting

post-894-0-92568700-1459440249_thumb.png

Example Media Manager Inputfield displays

More media can still be added

post-894-0-28333600-1459440251_thumb.png

Media Manager field (for this page) full

post-894-0-13671400-1459440254_thumb.png

• Like 5

Hey Kongondo!

Just bought the module! Awesome work!

Only a little Problem: When using the Admin Theme Reno the Link to Media Manager won't work, because the main Links are not "linked" in the same way as in the regular templates.

Two questions for my workflow:

1. Whats the best way to view the image in the frontend? Are there any MediaManager related methods?

2. Is there currently a way to categorize the images? Sometimes a bit more structure than tags only is even better! ;)

Thanks! Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your purchase. Glad you like the module.

I almost exclusively use Admin Theme Reno (and will be recommending this to others) when using Media Manager - it gives you better real estate. It works just fine for me but I notice (and maybe this is the way it works for any linked page with child pages) I have to double click on the link to make it load Media Manager. The same goes for 'Pages', 'Setup' and 'Modules' links. 

1. There is an example in the README.txt. The Easter break and illness have meant I haven't been able to finish the official documentation (mediamanager.kongondo.com). The API is quite straightforward. Note that you will first need to create a field of type Media Manager, add that to your template(s), then add media in your Media Library to the field. I have added some examples in the first post of this thread.
  2. Current its tags only. I'll see if there's a way to make this better.

Cheers,

/k

Edited by kongondo

Yes the Reno double-click got me stumped for a while before I figured it out - definitely a "gotcha".  As soon as I went back to the default theme it worked as planned - can we get a fix for this?  ATM I'd be rolling out the default Admin theme to end-users rather than trying to explain that Media Manager link works differently to every other link (and I'd prefer the Reno theme if possible).

I've had a good read through of the Readme and had a play on a test site (so I'm not totally familiar yet), loving the module so far - it's not quite as easy to use as the Wordpress media manager (which is what end users will be comparing to frankly - and maybe limited by being a bolt-on rather than in the core), but an exciting start!

Really love the "versions" of the image that can be created from duplicates with different cropping etc.

Couple of quick ones:

- Even if a field is listed as Image it still shows tabs for Audio/Document/Video which I thought was a bit counter-intuitive (or maybe only happens as a superadmin?).

- Took me a while to figure out which image was active/highlighted in the modal view - maybe a highlight box around or something would be good rather than just the black highlighted name text (or maybe I was just being dense at the time). Same goes for the Edit & Crop buttons on the active image overlay.

- Would like to be able to upload directly dropping into the image list rather than having to go to a separate tab (what I'm aiming for is to have a field that is Image only, so end users just see the Image tab and can select from there as well as drag n drop upload on that same div).  

- Maybe make it more obvious once media is inserted into a page field (should the media manager window close then?).  I found myself adding media multiple times because I didn't realise it'd updated after clicking "Insert Media".

All just minor UX things, and some of it might just be me (therefore, end users) getting familiar with it.  

Great job Kongondo.  This module is getting me closer to doing everything on PW rather than the few that I still do on WP when media management is more important to clients than a good CMS.

The double click issue for Media Manager admin link in Reno looks like it can be solved by setting the Media Manager sub pages to hidden.  Not sure if that breaks anything else (didn't seem to in my quick test) but appears the system is looking for children pages hence the empty dropdown and requirement to double click to go to the main MM admin page.

• Like 1

Brilliant find! Thanks. I will need to make a couple of changes e.g. so that upload settings can be displayed and saved. There might be other minor changes needed as well. Will include this in version 003.

Edited by kongondo
clarified stuff

Yes the Reno double-click got me stumped for a while before I figured it out - definitely a "gotcha".  As soon as I went back to the default theme it worked as planned - can we get a fix for this?  ATM I'd be rolling out the default Admin theme to end-users rather than trying to explain that Media Manager link works differently to every other link (and I'd prefer the Reno theme if possible).

You subsequently found a brilliant solution for this, so thanks.

It's not quite as easy to use as the Wordpress media manager (which is what end users will be comparing to frankly - and maybe limited by being a bolt-on rather than in the core), but an exciting start!

Never used/tested the WP one. Maybe I should have a look.

- Even if a field is listed as Image it still shows tabs for Audio/Document/Video which I thought was a bit counter-intuitive (or maybe only happens as a superadmin?).

Do you mean in the Inputfield (what you see when editing a ProcessWire page with a Media Manager field) or in the Media Library itself? I ask because there are no tabs in the former. The settings for fields only affect individual fields and are not universally applied to the Media Library (the manager itself). But there was a bug in the former in the text being displayed in the Inputfield and I fixed that in MM version 002.

Took me a while to figure out which image was active/highlighted in the modal view - maybe a highlight box around or something would be good rather than just the black highlighted name text (or maybe I was just being dense at the time). Same goes for the Edit & Crop buttons on the active image overlay

I grappled with this (the first part of your statement) during development and settled for highlighting the title with a view to revisiting in the future. Will have a look again. As for the Edit and Crop buttons, I don't understand what you mean. Please clarify.

Would like to be able to upload directly dropping into the image list rather than having to go to a separate tab (what I'm aiming for is to have a field that is Image only, so end users just see the Image tab and can select from there as well as drag n drop upload on that same div).

Am not sure I follow. Are you talking about the Media Library or a Media Manager field - Inputfield?

Maybe make it more obvious once media is inserted into a page field (should the media manager window close then?).  I found myself adding media multiple times because I didn't realise it'd updated after clicking "Insert Media".

Media Manager displays a notice (success or failure notices) when you select media and click on 'Insert Media'. Are you not seeing this in your tests? As for closing the modal window, the idea is that one may want to insert more media from other Media Library pages not currently in view. Closing the window would mean they have to open the modal again in order to insert the other media. I have explained this in the (upcoming) documentation so as not to confuse users.

Edited by kongondo

• kongondo changed the title to Media Manager Archive
  • kongondo pinned and locked this topic