Rich Text Editor

Peter Knight

Hi

Trying out PW for the first time and really liking it so far. Early days yet and I'm recording my first impressions.

One thing which really jars with my experience of PW is the default text editor. I think it's TinyMCE and looks horribly dated and old-school on an otherwise sleek system.

Has anyone succesfully integrated Redactor into PW? A few of the other CMS I use and am more familiar with use it and it's a much better client / editor experience.

Otherwise, really really liking PW.

Btw, default RTE is now CKEditor (in the dev version of PW). I've read something about Redactor in these forums I think...can't find it now...

Edit:

Here's one of the discussions:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/1964-redactor-wysiwyg-editor/page-3

Main issue is licensing...

Tip: best way to search these forums is by using Google, e.g. Redactor site:processwire.com/talk

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

TinyMCE will be replaced as the default RTE with a current version of CKEditor in the next release of ProcessWire. The development branch, which is available via Github, has already made the switch. I agree that TinyMCE was/is not looking vey sexy.

It's worth noting that CKEditor is also available for current ProcessWire, so you can switch if you want to.

About Redactor: i don't think this available as a module atm but there have been discussions about it on this forum.

Edit, too slow, one of those days :)

Interesting - thanks guys.

I've installed CK editor and it's an improvement. I've used it before across other CMS and IMHO it's still too much clutter.

Technically it seems to work well and there are plenty of great options.

Just wish we had the cleanliness of redactor and less of those 90s pop ups etc :)

• Like 1

I have hard time understanding the real benefits redactor offers over ckeditor? I mean the acf, plugin architecture and already available plug-ins, inline mode, easy of settings/modification etc are very well done in ckeditor.

Is it better looking and few kilobytes smaller? The size is not really an issue imo, since js is cached anyways.

Also really pleased to see all the small improvements Ryan has implemented into ckeditor inputfield, which make the usage even simpler.

• Like 5

I just went to redactor official site and the big red buy button is kind of making a call not to include it in a GPL system :). And the FAQ section just makes you sure about that.

Though it surelly could be done (after purchasing, of cource), as other wysiwygs already made their way into PW. Just see those:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/inputfield-ace-editor/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/inputfield-trumbowyg/

I think Nico even made his own one, but can find it right now.

But I guess the best part of a built in editor is its integration into the system (like image inserts). And it is done quite right in PW. More to that, it is quite easy in PW to make adjustments to the editor options from the admin, which is really cool. I did not know those options even exist untill I started with PW.

So I would stick to the default one most of the times. Really cool that CKE is now the default.

Just to mention, TinyMCE 4 has a great looking skin now and works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Froala and Redactor are similar in features, but Froala seems to be cheaper (299$, DL & license information) to integrate with PW as a module...

Because I like the editor toolbar "air mode" and license cost of Froala and Redactor I'm searching for an alternative...

Found Summernote. Based on bootstrap and font-awesome.

But air mode doesn't work at mobile... could be a nice mobile feature.

Also with air mode (not at mobile at the moment): jQuery Notebook

• 1 year later...