Experiences with Cubby cloud sync?

totoff

Hi Folks,

today I gave up Wuala after using it for two years with a paid account. Again Wuala failed to sync in time and i accidentally overwrote data on my development server with a wrong file version loosing hours of work ... It's a nice concept, but it doesn't work.

However, I'm considering Cubby as an alternative. The reason why is, that it allows me to maintain my directory structure on my hd as Wuala did. I don't have to move all my files to a special sync folder as with Google drive or Dropbox.

So, simple question: Does anybody here use Cubby and can recommend it (or not)?

Thanks, Christoph

It is a nice concept but you can achieve more or less the same with dropbox with symlinks. Just put a symlink of any folder inside the dropbox folder, and dropbox will happily let itself fooled.

• Like 5

@diogo i've heard about this option but also rumors about sync performance problems ... do you do it this way with good experience?

generally speaking: i better like nice clean solutions build right into the core of an application ;-)

I must admit that last year I forked out for a WD My Cloud disc with 4tb space. It just sits on my local gigabit network and is available from the outside world as well, so the kids use it from college

Seemed easier. There is a bigger version with multi discs and raid, but I didn't have the spare cash.

hi joss,

i definitely need a sync solution. work at a desktop pc in my office and on a laptop in my home office. need to have the same data on both devices. as far as i know, with a nas you need to install a solution like owncloud. or how do you sync (!) with this wd nas (if you do of course)?

Hi totoff,

I've been using http://www.bittorrent.com/sync for a little while as an alternative to dropbox and google drive. Currently I use to sync my Sites directory between machines. What I like about it is you don't have to have the exact same folder name on both machines. eg:

Machine 1:Sites can sync to Machine2:Sites backup

There's no intermediate storage either from what I can see so your machines would need to be on at the same time.

• Like 1

One of the issues I have had with sync in the past is that I have found I have to be very, very organised to make sure that I don't accidently erase some important edit through the sync process or find I have to make a choice because the system has noticed that the remote version is newer than the edit I am currently doing - a particular problem with collaborative working where I have had exactly that problem.

Generally, I have found myself falling back to a less clever system of simply storing something that I need to access/edit remotely in just the one place as a single copy - I always then work on that version directly in some way.

Mind you, working from home these days has reduced the problem enormously! :)

hi joss,

i definitely need a sync solution. work at a desktop pc in my office and on a laptop in my home office. need to have the same data on both devices. as far as i know, with a nas you need to install a solution like owncloud. or how do you sync (!) with this wd nas (if you do of course)?

I tried Cubby and many others too. I found DropBox to be easily the fastest and most reliable of the services. The problem with the computer-to-computer ones is like Diogo said, the computers having to both be on at the same time which sort of renders it redundant in my eyes.

The revisions on Dropbox have saved our bacon many times (you can ask Diogo ;) and he was a big sceptic)

Hi all,

seems like everybody sticks with the major players. maybe the best you can do ...

I like Dropbox too, especially since it keeps old versions of documents up to 30 days

That's a killer-feature and one i liked with Wuala in particular. But Gdrive offers the same via its web frontend ("manage history" or so).

• Like 1

I didn't know that, thanks....I use Dropbox, GDrive and Amazon Drive to manage different bits and pieces of my life. I had sugarsync too but removed that. I have never really used what Microsoft gave me (Skydrive) - it just sits there doing nothing. 

Played with it some time back - not sure if it has matured further, but worth a look:

http://sparkleshare.org/

Also, Pydio now has a sync tool - again, not really ready for prime time, but their web interface is a great way of sharing files with clients:

http://pyd.io/

Or if you are a linux geek and want ultimate configuration:

http://www.rsnapshot.org/ (you could of course use cron and rsync, but this is a nice addition to managing things)

• Like 1

I have tried both Pydio and Own Cloud with clients to try and find out what they prefered.

Annoyingly, they almost all said "can't you just email us a link to a zip file? I can never remember my password."

Perhaps they are right - we can over engineer this sometimes.

• Like 1

Hey Joss,

Did you find the share option in Pydio?

It is awesome - you can right click on a file (zip if you like) and share it with a unique url which gives them a one click download - no password required.

I have Pydio hooked into a parent folder that is above web root so the files are not directly accessible, but I can still map the folder as a drive (SMB etc), so we have multiple ways to access the same stuff. You can set up user accounts with all sorts of access levels.

It's not perfectly bug free, but it is still the best tool I have found that allows me to manage our own server and still share files very easily.

HI Adrian - yes, I have it working above root too. I have used it for myself for several years now as Ajaxplorer, though it is a little more solid now; previous versions were proving to be a real pain on Safari.

What I really wanted to get them to do was use the password system since then that gave them access to all their files going back years and stopped me having to put up with "I cant find that thing you did back in 1872...."

But, it just seemed to be a bit too techy for young Radio station sales people. There has to be a lesson in there somewhere! 

Ah yes, the client who can't remember a password - I am sure they will be a ancient relic sometime soon, but still. Passwords that is, not clients :)

I have had pretty good luck with environmental scientists and Pydio/Ajaxplorer over the years, and they are usually my benchmark for the bottom end on the tech scale.