Searching for a video hosting solution

Nomak

Hi,

as a passionate PW user and web developer for small company websites I am searching for a video hosting solution which has a good playback performance and where I can host also large videos.

Sure, we all know we can just upload videos to the PW backend and then implement it on the website. But - at least on the servers I am using - the playback performance is to weak (to much waiting time).
And I am also sure we all know Vimeo (great playback performance). But as a developer coming from Europe who puts importance on respecting privacy laws (GDPR), Vimeo is not really a option for hosting your videos, since it is an US company.

Therefore my question: Which solution do you use for video hosting? Do you know providers comparable with Vimeo (regarding price and performance) but coming from the EU?

I know, video hosting is not necessarily a processwire related issue, but I hope you can help me though.

Cheers!

• Like 1

That is a great and question. I do not know any European companion compared to Vimeo or YouTube. Most services are based on AWS or Akamai CDN. Vimeo ships with excellent customisation options and a great UI. To be honest, I have not used it so far. Usually I am hosting video files myself and preload the mp4 and webM files. In terms of playback performance and bandwidth, I have never experienced major slowness. Even with higher bitrates and scrubbing through the video, the playback is great on most recent devices. Todays smartphones are soo powerful. Using crippled shared servers could lead to slow progressive downloads, though. If you are looking for a full featured SasS video compression, Vimeo's and YouTube pricing and customisations are unbeatable. Otherwise you have to spend some time on tweaking the video compression before uploading. I guess this is not the answer you were looking for. ?

• Like 1

Have used vimeo for years now already on www.rugpijnweg.nl with lazyloaded video module, speedscores are very high on that site 100 for desktop and 99 for mobile, thanks to @netcarver for doing a lot of work under the hood!

I use the paid version of vimeo, and ever since we started using video on that site, our conversions on the salespage doubled.