Happy new year!

SiNNuT

First day of the year here in "old" England.

Spent it rigging up a little dev server with Ubunto, Webmin/VIrtualmin and Samba and then trying to work out why it doesn't work.

Oh, joy.....

:)

PS: Now I am just going to set up a couple of PW thingies as Server Templates for quick developinginging...

Joss

HNY - (Abbreviated to help those infested with spyware...)

• Like 2

Greetings,

Glad I'm not the only one...

Sometimes Happy New Year links to Amazon products.

Sometimes Happy New Year links to Zombo.com

In one case, Happy New Year links to the Web site for Yale, South Dakota.

My favorite is the link to the Haiti News Network (http://anselme.homes...m/AFPHAITI.html). I thought this site was a joke, then realized it is an actual site for the Haiti News Network!

And on and on it goes...

Thanks,

Matthew

Greetings,

Glad I'm not the only one...

Sometimes Happy New Year links to Amazon products.

Sometimes Happy New Year links to Zombo.com

And on and on it goes...

Thanks,

Matthew

LOL - i was about to ask here where you all see those links - and now when i scrolled above, i saw them too...

So this has to be something on server-side - i cannot imagine that all of us have such a spyware on different platforms and different browsers.

Strange stuff...

Edit: @MatthewSchenker - in your post Happy New Year is not linked, but all others are now. So we'll see what happens...

Edited by doolak

Hello Everyone,

This seems to have something to do with the Skimresources thingy that somehow gets included with ProcessWire.

The links appear and disappear with apparent randomness.

Notice: the words "forum software" also create an automatic link -- often to vBulletin, but today it is going to sheetmusicplus.com.

What's going on with this?

Matthew

Matthew, regarding the Happy New Year links: I thought that either you were kidding, or you weren't and could use a laugh. So I manually linked them myself, just for fun. I did a search for "worst designed websites ever" and used those for the links. :biggrin: Sorry guys, my sense of humor sometimes gets the best of me. I'll unlink them. With a clearer head this morning, it seems clear that you really are seeing actual spam links and you aren't kidding? It really does sound like browser spyware to me. Also, you mentioned this Skimresources thing, which I'm not familiar with. Can you explain more about where you are seeing this? We are not using any affiliate networks or advertising here, so this is not coming from processwire.com (unless there's some problem with IP.Board). I'm guessing you've got a browser extension that is inserting <script> tags into sites that you visit to automatically link words. Can you try from another browser to double check? For instance, if in Chrome, try Firefox, etc.

• Like 4

Greetings,

Ryan: I have noticed that ProcessWire sites have "Skimresources" running. Check <head> area to see the references.

Just for example, here's a sample of what I see here in this site:

<script type="text/javascript" async="" src="//r.skimresources.com/api/?callback=skimlinksApplyHandlers&data=%7B%22pubcode%22%3A%2228566X866039%22%2C%22domains%22%3A%5B%22twitter.com%22%2C%22invisionpower.com%22%5D%7D">
skimlinksApplyHandlers({"merchant_domains":[],"guid":"5f75d4d27f216d63a53bcc563d9a25c8","country":"US"});
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" async="" src="//r.skimresources.com/api/?callback=skimlinksApplyHandlers&data=%7B%22pubcode%22%3A%2228566X866039%22%2C%22domains%22%3A%5B%22twitter.com%22%2C%22invisionpower.com%22%5D%7D">
skimlinksApplyHandlers({"merchant_domains":[],"guid":"5f75d4d27f216d63a53bcc563d9a25c8","country":"US"});
</script>

It also loads some style sheets.

By the way, I see this stuff in a lot of sites, not just ProcessWire.

Am I the only one seeing these?

It seem that these links are appearing for everyone. Is it a browser issue?

Thanks,

Matthew

No that stuff is real. I go to that page on Amazon whenever I need a good laugh. Read a few of the reviews and you will fall out of your chair laughing. It is a real product, basically today's equivalent of a stink bomb prank, but apparently much stronger.

I don't see those script tags on any of our sites. Anybody else? I think they are getting dynamically inserted by a browser extension. Have you tried another browser?