Future of Padloper - New Project Lead Announcement

kongondo

14 hours ago, kongondo said:

Discounts bulk view/edit

Hi,@kongondo the screen look amazing!! I see there are a lot of possibility to trigger the discount code. I don't know if you have already thought about this, but could be a very useful and beautiful option to be able to create discounts dedicated to specific users. The best if it is possible to give it to those who do certain actions, like make a purchase, sign up for the newsletter or have an abandoned cart. What you think? or just a persona code with expiration date and all the other option.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mikie said:

Hey @kongondo, speaking of classnames, has there been any thought of rebranding to something more accessible for people outside the PW community, like eg Procommerce or Commercewire ?? Just feel like the name was always pretty random and doesn't really seem to have any particular meaning – worlds smallest turtle? – or evoke feelings of a power and capability.

36 minutes ago, Jozsef said:

Yes, I completely agree with that and wanted to bring it up. Especially in the backend when previously we got "Padloper Orders" and "Padloper Reports" etc… It feels much more integrated when you look at something like "Craft Commerce" or "Perch Shop"

This hasn't crossed my mind but it is something worth considering now that you mention it. Let's hear what the community thinks. If the discussion gets a bit long we can move it to its own topic.

29 minutes ago, MarcoPLY said:

I don't know if you have already thought about this, but could be a very useful and beautiful option to be able to create discounts dedicated to specific users. The best if it is possible to give it to those who do certain actions, like make a purchase, sign up for the newsletter or have an abandoned cart. What you think?

You mean like this?

padloper-2-demo-019-discounts-eligibility.thumb.jpg.78f37aab436b3a46a851f15ee3671ffa.jpg

Seems you missed the eligibility screen ?. The GUI is not yet complete. The details are:

• Specific Groups of Customers
    • New customers (have never bought something)
    • Returning customers (have previously bought something)
    • Abandoned checkouts
    • Customers from own country (will probably change this to 'from specific countries')
    • Newsletter (customers signed up to newsletter - this may not make it in the first release though + I haven't decided whether newsletter should be part of Padloper or not or third party, etc)
  • Specific Customers
    • Here you will select specific customers. These will have to be registered customers

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, kongondo said:

Do you have a specific need to run both the old and new versions?

Just that the site will need to go live before PadLoper2 is ready. We sell tickets to an annual event, so if 2021's event sales (which launch immediately after the event in 2020) could be on the new system, I could set it up within the same site. Sounds like there'll be a lot of fiddling to changeover, so since there's a conflict I'll probably clone the site and work on it then switchover for 2021.

Thanks! Really looking forward to the new version!

1 hour ago, creativejay said:

Sounds like there'll be a lot of fiddling to changeover, so since there's a conflict I'll probably clone the site and work on it then switchover for 2021.

Once you get to know the system, you could write some scripts to match fields and copy things over. You could probably use the new Padloper API to do this, e.g. the import functionality if you need to import products.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:16 AM, kongondo said:

Let's hear what the community thinks.

+1 Let's rename it ? A few more ideas:

• pwCommerce
  • pwShop
  • pwStore
  • pwTrader
  • Trader
  • pwTrader
  • ShopWire
  • TradeWire

A couple of things to consider:

• A unique (maybe a made-up name) helps web/forum/code searching a lot. Eg: a Google search Trader site:processwire.com/talk reveals only 2(!) results, meaning it is not an overused word here (just yet) even though it is not even unique.
  • It is worth googling a bit before picking a name, as ShopWire and TradeWire are already in the use, so they are unique in the ProcessWire forum but not on the web. It's not a big deal just something worth considering.
  • To keep source code lean, one word like Trader is what I'd prefer. It's class can be Trader ? and things like $trader = $modules->get("Trader"); are short and easy on the eye, therefore on the brain.
  • Things like pwShop are problematic as such names are not good for the class name and turning it into PwShop looks odd to me, for example.
  • Like 1

I like pwCommerce. For users it is much easier to understand pwCommerce, it is very intuitive and simple. Which from the commercial point of view is a fundamental characteristic. For the class I don't have idea. but also need be something connected with the name.

Idea for the logo! If you don't already have one, you could launch a contest among community members! will be something fun. Maybe just for the concept, after all the branding you'll see how to do it.

• Like 2

For the sake of marketing and brand recognition I'd recommend not going with a generic name such as pw + [some commerce related term]. Best known brand names tend to be unique, and they don't really have to have any connection with the company/product (although they can).

Trader is a decent idea, but I still think that Padloper is better -- not to mention that it already has some brand value, and an awesome logo ?

just my five cents.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, teppo said:

For the sake of marketing and brand recognition I'd recommend not going with a generic name such as pw + [some commerce related term]. Best known brand names tend to be unique, and they don't really have to have any connection with the company/product (although they can).

Trader is a decent idea, but I still think that Padloper is better -- not to mention that it already has some brand value, and an awesome logo ?

just my five cents.

@teppo I second this thinking.

RE Branding

Thank you all for the conversation so far ?.

Just some quick pointers/thoughts:

There are two areas of branding that have been referred to so far. The first one is what users see when they log into the backend. The second has more to do with selling the product, aka marketing. 

Regarding the first one, unlike the present Padloper, the name Padloper will not appear anywhere in the shop. Btw, you will be able to call your shop whatever you want - store, shop, blah blah. So, reports, taxes, etc, will all just be part of the shop. No extra shop links outside the shop itself.

Regarding the second issue of marketing, I am not an expert, so I'll pause and have a listen. However, @teppo is right. The name does already have some brand value and  the product 'has been selling itself', so to speak. I am not saying things cannot be improved. In addition, and I am just thinking out loud here, I don't have the stats for how many people have come to ProcessWire because of Padloper. My gut feeling is probably not that many (if any at all). On the contrary, I think most Padloper users (I am referring to devs) were already ProcessWire users and needed an eCommerce solution. Of course, we can always aspire for the former case (Padloper attracting people to ProcessWire), but that's probably a longer term discussion.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 3

Since I started this naming discussion I'll chime in. Agree with all the above @kongondo and @teppo, if you think if it as ecommerce for current ProcessWire devs then no worries - the name is unique and already ranks well, and changing things is more work and not something to be done lightly.  My rationale for bringing this up was that ecommerce is such a competitive, active space, and the solutions are all so frustrating to work with as most here can probably attest, that I feel like this will definitely draw new devs to PW itself. My original chain of thought was this: although the Pro modules are by convention officially developed and supported by Ryan, something generic like ProShop or ProCommerce which was officially endorsed and listed in the Pro shop would make sense. Then the name also becomes about PW as well, eg Processwire ProCommerce, and it is very clear what the module does and what system it integrates with.

Alternatively, I think it is worth considering wording around Padloper and Processwire, like eg. WooCommerce which is the "eCommerce platform for Wordpress". I feel like you could definitely get out there into ecommerce solution comparison lists and quadrant listings and all the constant chatter that goes on around this. The same "what is the best ecommerce platform" or "which is better, shopify or woocommerce" questions are posted on reddit almost weekly, it is more in this space that I am thinking about the use of the name.

• Like 1

You've definitely got a point there, @Mikie. Getting the word out about Padloper is a goal worth striving for.

While I don't think that Ryan should (or would, for that matter) include Pro-prefixed modules from other authors to the official shop, at least for the time being (it would cause a lot of confusion about the person responsible for said module), but getting the module included there isn't a bad idea overall. I think it would benefit ProcessWire as well to have an ecommerce module available via the official store, at least as an alternative way of purchasing. Perhaps that's something to consider in the future? ?

Although renaming the module doesn't really seem necessary, words such as "eCommerce" and "shop" etc. definitely need to be mentioned in the context of Padloper. In fact they already are: current website states clearly what Padloper is, though from SEO point of view there are some additional steps that should be taken, and the site – particularly the home page – would benefit from some reorganising as well.

Then again, I'm assuming that @kongondo might have a new site planned anyway ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikie said:

if you think if it as ecommerce for current ProcessWire devs then no worries

I hope I didn't come across as shutting the door on the suggestions here :-). I was just pointing out a few realities. Like I said, I don't know much about marketing. It would be wise to listen to those who do :-). So, yes, I am still listening and by all means, let folks continue to chime in please. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kongondo said:

hope I didn't come across as shutting the door on the suggestions here ?

Not at all. Hoping I didnt open a can of worms!

Back to the main topic at hand, I have a question which I'm not sure has been asked or covered already... this thread is getting long! The original modular nature of Padloper, whilst a bit confusing to start with, was great to get going quickly and simply. I remember reading mention of v2 being much more integrated (everything intergated in one install). I'm assuming the base install will be a basic shop, and eg subscriptions or downloads would be something you enable by configuration. Is this the case?

Like others v excited by all this. Its ending up way more capable than I imagined. 

1 hour ago, Mikie said:

I remember reading mention of v2 being much more integrated (everything intergated in one install). I'm assuming the base install will be a basic shop, and eg subscriptions or downloads would be something you enable by configuration. Is this the case?

Yes, everything is integrated in one install. I haven't yet decided what a 'basic shop' looks like, i.e. what to install and what to make configurable. Looking at other systems, their offerings differ quite a bit. This is a conversation I was planning to have with beta testers but we can open it up to the whole community to discuss.

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade Path: Padloper 1 to Padloper 2

I have been getting a number of enquiries regarding  upgrading from Padloper 1 to 2. I would to reiterate that whilst there isn't a direct upgrade path, it is still possible to import products from Padloper 1 (or any other shop system for that matter) to Padloper 2 using either the API ($padloper->importProducts($imports);// array/json/csv) or the GUI. However, please note the following:

1. You will have to export products from Padloper 1 yourself. No script will be provided for that.
  2. You will have to do any manual cleanup of the data as well as additions to the data yourself. Documentation will be provided about the fields required for the import into Padloper 2, e.g. Product title, description, etc, and any optional fields.
  3. Supported import formats are JSON, CSV or arrays.
  4. Importing into Padloper 2 does not have to be a one-off exercise. Import will have the option to overwrite/update/skip existing identical products.

I hope this clarifies things. 

• Like 2

Hello @kongondo

Thank you for the update on the release date, I think most of the users where expecting to hear this.  ?

I would like to know if you have any plans to create room for a multivendor version or something similar?

I have a client who wants to build a website/directory where different users would be able to rent out different used items and the website/site admin retains a fee for each transaction. 

There are a lot of solid solutions out there at the moment, and I know that it’s a lot of work to do until the single vendor it’s ready... but it would be awesome if you will be able to consider it at least. 

• Like 1

Hi @B3ta

On 6/26/2019 at 8:32 AM, B3ta said:

I would like to know if you have any plans to create room for a multivendor version or something similar?

This is not something I have thought about. I am not sure how I would go about it, .e.g. a separate module to do the 'multi' aspect, etc. 

There are a lot of solid solutions out there at the moment,

Please point me to some examples, thanks.

but it would be awesome if you will be able to consider it at least. 

I'll add it to my 'To Think About List' :-). Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, MateThemes said:

Hello!

Are there any news on Padloper 2? (release date etc.)

I am currently planning a theme marketplace and I want to realize this with Processwire and Padloper 2. 

Thanks!

Hi @MateThemes,

Unfortunately there will be a bit of a delay due to some unforeseen circumstances. It could be winter before we see the first release.

• Like 1