jtborger

Using markup regions causes template to render twice?

Hi,

Yesterday I found out about the relatively new markup regions functionality and I love it. The ease of use and simplicity is just what I think is typically ProcessWire and is why Im still happy I chose for PW four years ago when changing CMS/CMF. So thanks Ryan for your vision and all you put into it.

That said, Im running into an issue I'm not sure what to think of it.

I have enabled markup regions in config.php and it does what I suppose it should: it replaced and all. Very neatly. 

The only thing I discovered is that while Im debugging some issues and I use var_dump to echo some stuff, it does that two times in a row. And this only happens when useMarkupRegions is enabled.

I dont get this, does it mean the template file gets called twice (and thus the script is run twice?) or is it only displayed twice, where the first time most output is erased and /or replaced by the substituted output?

I don't really get whats going on there. Is this behavior normal when using markup regions?

Thanks!

Hi Karl,

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this. It seems that the issues you filed and my question here is the same thing... And Ryan's explaination seems fine, though I have one question for Ryan (hope he'll read this):

Indeed I output some stuff before doctype, which is tried to being rendered as a markup region as I understand from your comment on the issue Karl mentions above. Since it cannot be substituted, it gets displayed anyway, as I understand it.

But, why does it gets displayed the first time then anyway? It feels illogical to me to be honest. I understand that all output before doctype is seen as if it should be put in a region later on, and when not, it gets displayed. But shouldn't it be removed from output first, then searched for a region to be put in, and if not, then outputted anyway? Perhaps this logic is too advance/heavy since replacement gets done by regexes I think, but anyway.... just a suggestion. 

Perhaps I don't understand it correctly anyway so please excuse me for this... I still find it a very neat solution anyway! :)

As far as I know the documentation says you should change the /sites/config.php. This also generates double output for me.

That never worked for me. I change /wire/config.php. Downside is that with every update I would need to change it again.

11 hours ago, jtborger said:

while Im debugging some issues and I use var_dump to echo some stuff

Check out Tracy Debugger and you'll be glad you did. Then rather than using var_dump and echo you can use the bd() function in your files to get a lovely expandable dump output and the "double output" thing won't be an issue with Markup Regions.

2017-11-19_094145.png.76910436a4aada9201b89155bccc9565.png

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By louisstephens
      I have a repeater with a text field where I would like to use hanna code (to make it easier on the user) so the user can define the action of a image that is in the repeater. For example:
      1. The image should have an external link:
      - the user can just type in the url
      2. The image, when clicked, should be printable (using print.js)
      - the user can just type [[print_image]]
      That works just fine, but I am running into an "issue". The code I need to use to print is:
      onclick="printJS({printable: 'path_to_image', type: 'image'});" I can put that into the hanna code as plain text, but I have no idea how to get the image from the repeater item and pass to "path_to_image". Is this even possible?
    • By darrenc
      lets say, in _main.php I have some placeholder regions for content/sidebar
      <div id="content">foo</div> <div id="sidebar">bar</div> in my home.php template, maybe i don't want the sidebar div at all. But when I put in the intentionally blank code
      <region id="sidebar"></region> I simply make my sidebar div blank, it doesn't remove it.
      Q: Is there a slick way to simply nuke that div#sidebar entirely from markup?
    • By Sten
      Hi,
      I have a lot of difficulties with getting a field value.
      First I created a template, inside I created several fields
      two fields are a dropdown select box So I have a value and a label for each line.
      Then I want to get the field value in _init.php or in the template to display it. How can I get the value of a field for the page ? I need to understand the flow through which data goes.
      Could someone help me ?
      Thank you

• By louisstephens
      So this is more or less just a question regarding best practices, and how to actually achieve this. I have an internal tool I built awhile ago that has just gotten very "trashed". The naming conventions are all out of whack due to trying to get something completed, and pages are just everywhere. The fields got really out of hand as well, but I believe I have found a much cleaner field structure with the Repeater Matrix and a few other ProFields.  I decided recently to rewrite the template structure and the fields from scratch to keep everything nice and neat, but then it hit me that I would need to move all the previous data over and populate the new fields etc.
      The current tree looks something like:
      Group Title - Section A (template "section") - Category One (template "category") - Category Two (template "category") - Section B (template "section") - Category One (template "category") - Category Two (template "category") Etc etc... The structure is pretty good, and I am thinking of keeping it as it serves my purpose. However, I now have about 140 Sections with child pages that I would hopefully like to move to different templates, as well as changing the child templates/mapping data to the new fields. The only fields I need to worry about are a few textareas, text fields, options field,  as well as 1 image filed.
      I guess my real question is, what is the best way to go about this "migration" via the api while keeping the parent/child structure. It would be ok to leave it as is and chip away at it if I were the only one using it, but unfortunately that is not the case. 
      I guess one approach would be to copy over the entire structure and make the move to the new templates/fields. Once we have verified all the data/templates are correct, we could remove the old structure and possibly rename the new to mirror the old. However, this might just be too complicated.
    • By EyeDentify
      I as have been a bit confused for some time about how the "Markup Regions" functionality in Processwire worked.
      But i have know read a bit more and think that i am getting to grips with it. And Markup Regions is going to be huge.

To aid me in understanding Markup Regions better i started to read the Source code for the new "Regular" theme in conjunction with the Blog about the markup regions.
      It helped me a great deal to understand the basics and more fine details of it.

A tip is to open both links and use the Source code of the "Regular" theme while reading the blog post.

The Source code:
      https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/dev/site-regular/templates/_main.php
      The Blog post:
      https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.62-and-more-on-markup-regions/

I hope this could help others starting out with markup regions.
      Just take it slow and read it a couple a times and soon you will see the greatness of markup regions.

/EyeDentify